First Spyderco knife to obtain in 2020?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: First Spyderco knife to obtain in 2020?

Post by Wartstein »

rybu0305 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:45 am
Waiting for the Siren to deliver.
Me too...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Holland

Post by Holland »

Bought a new dragonfly salt, a back up junction and a small spydie pack
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

The first Spydie for me in 2020 has been the Sage 5 LW...
Tapik

Post by Tapik »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:55 am
Yep, the blades are off center in both the para3 lw's that I have. But they function perfectly. I understand being OCD about these things and not liking the asymmetry, but it doesn't ever seem to affect functioning in this knife.
Can you get a picture for me, if it's not a problem? :)
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Tasman Salt SE.

Looking forward to the Siren.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Tapik wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:39 am
JuPaul wrote:
Yep, the blades are off center in both the para3 lw's that I have. But they function perfectly. I understand being OCD about these things and not liking the asymmetry, but it doesn't ever seem to affect functioning in this knife.
No problem. The bd1n SE:

And the m390:

No real blade play in either, both drop shut and flick open easily.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Tapik

Post by Tapik »

Thank you. First one is fine for me, but the M390 is kinda creepy :) but the color is sooooo gorgeus!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tapik wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:54 am
Thank you. First one is fine for me, but the M390 is kinda creepy :) but the color is sooooo gorgeus!
I am not a Para 3 - guy, but don´t all the LWs have a somewhat offcentered blade (without that being a practical problem by any means)? Maybe due to the particular way this knife is constructed?
I seem to remember hearing or reading this in quite a few reviews or first impressions vids... ?!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:00 am
Tapik wrote:
I am not a Para 3 - guy, but don´t all the LWs have a somewhat offcentered blade (without that being a practical problem by any means)? Maybe due to the particular way this knife is constructed?
I seem to remember hearing or reading this in quite a few reviews or first impressions vids... ?!
You mean all the comp lock ones? My sage 5 lw is slightly off-center. And the bd1n para3 lw I gave my brother was also slightly off-center. The m390 one is the worst I've had, but again, it hasn't been a problem other than aesthetically.
- Julia

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:53 am
Tapik wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
No problem. The bd1n SE:

And the m390:

The red one is way off center. No excuse for that, when a $50 Bestech is dead nutz centered.
I love Spyderco, but that's not cool.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:45 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tapik wrote:
You mean all the comp lock ones? My sage 5 lw is slightly off-center. And the bd1n para3 lw I gave my brother was also slightly off-center. The m390 one is the worst I've had, but again, it hasn't been a problem other than aesthetically.
No, I meant just the Para 3 lightweights... ;)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:03 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Tapik wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
No problem. The bd1n SE:

And the m390:

The red one is way off center. No excuse for that, when a $50 Bestech is dead nutz centered.
Well, perhaps a slightly thicker washer went into this one. Personally, it doesn't bother me.
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:12 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Tapik wrote:
Ah, yes, I think the para3 lw has a single washer, so they're often a bit off-center. I haven't taken apart the m390 one, though. Niw I'm curious to see if it has a thicker washer than the others, which might explain the more extreme off-centering. A project for another day...
- Julia

Tapik

Post by Tapik »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:28 pm
Ah, yes, I think the para3 lw has a single washer, so they're often a bit off-center. I haven't taken apart the m390 one, though. Niw I'm curious to see if it has a thicker washer than the others, which might explain the more extreme off-centering. A project for another day...
even if it is thick - you can't do nothing about that, I presume, since there is no washer on the other side - if you replace it with the thin one, it may cause the blade play
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:23 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:03 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Tapik wrote:

No problem. The bd1n SE:

And the m390:

Well, perhaps a slightly thicker washer went into this one. Personally, it doesn't bother me.
Shoot man, just send her back to Spyderco, they'll center her up.
Shouldn't take that long.
But, please do as you wish. This is merely a suggestion. As long as you are okay with it, that's truly all that matters.
Just providing another avenue to correct the off centering.
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

Just bought my first Spyderco of 2020: Cruwear Delica :spyder:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:28 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:12 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Right, that will be the reason most likely.
As said, not a Para 3 guy myself, but an a bit off center blade would not bother me at all. So to the OP:If I were you, I would not let that become a deal breaker, if you like the Para 3 LW otherwise.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tapik wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:27 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:10 am
And in the end: You can´t go wrong with most Spydercos anyway ;)
I found out that in the local store not too far from me they have a regular Para 3, Yojimbo 2, Delica and Chap, so I'll go and check them on tuesday, to get the size and feel, to really understand what I need.

I realized that I love the YJ2 style, but I'm afraid it's TOO BIG AND SCARY in real life.
Hope you´ll report back, which one you like the most... :)
Para 3, Delica and Chap are three very solid choices when it comes to small folders (the latter two being my personal absolute favorites in that size category - out of all brands...), so I am really interested in which route you´ll take..
acer

Post by acer »

My first of 2020 a zdp 189 British racing green Manbug which has arrived . Nice companion for my lady bug , Hoping for some Little bugs if you get my drift 😀 joking apart it filled a void in my collection like the colour, always wanted an MGB Roadster soft top in BRGreen this is my cheaper option anŷ excuse to buy another knife . In
TINCUP59

Post by TINCUP59 »

Well New to Spyderco and the forum! Im going to say Native 5 Salt LC200N!!! Like stated this was my first spyderco, i had other cheaper folders, and wanted to step up my EDC game. I was wondering if Price was worth it for just FRN and steel? Well i say a Big **** yeah!! i Can not describe how much i like this knife, Fit and finish are outstanding and as some have mentioned, the Function is just getting better with use.

I was traveling to Florida for vacation so this combo fit in Perfect! i had sand in it, cut up multiple items, Food Prep, you name it. Every time i wash it off Still looks and feels like New. the LC200N has really impressed me so far...

I Like you wanted a USA made knife specifically!! And after being on this forum and seeing how the Owners interacted i was all in. Since then i purchased a Shaman St. Nicks 4V!!!! have not unboxed it yet. im not a collector so this will pry be my extent of Spyderco purchases but i bought them to use not look at, Hopefully... That is why i went with these specific Steels.
Attachments
spyderco.jpg