Southpaw - Lefty Question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Matt Broct

Southpaw - Lefty Question

Post by Matt Broct »

Hi Everyone

New to the forum, and I found some previous content but wondering if any current intel on left handed models.

Does anyone happen to have a current list of left handed Spyderco models that are popular?

I currently have manix 2, para 2 right handed (couldn’t wait at time of purchase), and looking for a para 3 southpaw lightweight or something similar that maybe the seasoned crew on here could recommend.

Hope everyone had a great holiday!

Matt
GiftedMisfit

Re: Southpaw - Lefty Question

Post by GiftedMisfit »

There is the para2 and the military models that are dedicated lefty models.. and that's it.
There are alot of ambidextrous models such as the manix and all the lock back models.

From one lefty to another - goodluck.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I personally feel the Compression lock is left-handed. I carry the regular comp lock models portside and the "lefty" Para2 on my right. I can open and close the standard comp lock much more easily with my left hand than I can with my right, and the lefty Para2 is the only comp lock I can't stand to use right-handed. YMMV.

Edit to add: Welcome aboard!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

As a lefty see no need for a lefty PM for me . The right hand version seems to work well for me . You can never go wrong with a lefty Military. Spyderco is a very lefty friendly place to be when you shop around elsewhere you will see a big difference. Just look at the line up and enjoy .
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I have a left handed friend who runs a (right handed) PM2. He just uses his thumb to engage the lock mechanism, rather than his forefinger.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Here's one lefty who VASTLY prefers the lefty Para2 and Military to the standard models.

And yeah, I can operate essentially any lock with either hand just fine too, that isn't the point.

With all the "righty comp lock is fine for me" talk I've seen from lefties since the Para2 LH dropped, I wouldn't hold my breath on the Para3. Could be wrong and I'd be a buyer, but don't expect it to happen.

As for a list of lefty/ambi models, you can add the slipits. The UKPK is my most carried model for 2019.
:spyder:
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

When I bought my first PM2, I decided I would adapt to the RH version instead of permanently handicapping my steel and color options. I have no problem operating a RH PM2 with my left hand, and I don't have to use any two-operation method like dropping the blade free with the choil stopping on my middle finger then pushing it shut with my index finger, or folding it closed on my leg. In fact, I would argue that the RH PM2 is superior for LH use, with a more secure closing grip that requires less repositioning of the knife in your hand.

Place your index finger flat across the presentation side of the handle, opposite the compression lock indent. Hold the knife by nestling the butt into your palm, while gripping the opposing edge of the pocket clip with the tips of your other three fingers. Depress the compression lock with the right side of your thumb and swing the blade shut.

This method works great for me, but it requires that the clip be in a tip-up orientation, and that the distance from the compression lock to the clip be correct. For example, I can't really use this method with the Para 3, because the spoon clip partially overlaps with the distal alignment of the compression lock. There has to be room for your index finger directly opposite the compression lock to provide a backstop for the lock depress, without overlapping where your middle finger grips the side of the clip. It also would probably not work well on models with wire clips, as the side flex of the clip might cause problems. It should work fine with models like the Shaman and Yo2.
Last edited by Accutron on Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Matt,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Matt Broct wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:39 pm
Does anyone happen to have a current list of left handed Spyderco models that are popular?
Hi, Matt.
I'm left handed and have firm beliefs in what my knife needs to do, so maybe I can give you a couple things to consider. Foremost, my knife needs to be operated one handed. I'm often working on important things that require my attention, so looking at the knife and using two hands is out of the question. In this regard, the Manix 2 really shines. Also, it fits my hand very nicely. The next consideration once you've made that decision is the steel. I have one Manix 2 in S110V and one in Maxamet. I'm having a lot of fun with the Maxamet, but for ease of use, I'd recommend the S110V. There are a variety of other steel options, as well.

The Military is fine, but I'm not a fan of tip-up, and in this day and age, there are locks I prefer over the liner.

The Left-Handed Paramilitary 2 is also really nice. I'm fond of the lock, and it's really simple to operate if it's on the correct side. The S30V blade no longer excites me, but it might be a good choice because of the ease with which it takes an excellent edge.

Sadly, not all the compression lock knives (Sage 5) are offered in left hand versions, nor are there many options for exotic steel. Regardless, you might be very happy with one of the three models listed above.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I am not a lefty, and mostly prefer mid backlocks (Which are indeed totally ambidextrous). One option if you really like the compression lock is to mod or pay for a mod to make a righty comp lock knife into a lefty button comp lock knife. Look up PM2 Ultra.

I am not really a great fan of button locks either, but i just thought i'd throw it out there as another option.

It's not bad to operate a standard comp lock knife with a 50/50 choil (In my case a Shaman) "backlock style) if you hold the knife horizontally and squeeze the Comp Lock release tab with your left thumb and allow the blade portion of the choil to drop on your index finger. You can then safely roll the knife 180 degrees in your palm (blade pointing up now) and then close it the remainder of the way. Clear as mud?

This method works right handed for right handers super well too if you are in a situation where you think you have a risk of dropping the knife in the more typical pinch grip release of the comp lock.

Welcome! And more knifes for Lefties seem like a good idea, tho i know it doesn't offer the economy of scale of the righty or ambi models. Good thing Sal and Co don't make decisions from one point of view.
Hobnob

Post by Hobnob »

Welcome Lefty, I mean Matt. Southpaw here also. I have both handed PM 2's but don't use them much. For daily carry I pocket a back lock (Delica or Salt 2). I can use either PM with either hand. I just prefer a back lock for the simplicity and safety.
Matt Broct

Post by Matt Broct »

Wow that sure is a ton of great advice, much appreciated! I never knew about the ultra mods either. I’ve been working with my pm2 righty with my left hand and getting better. Is this the best place to find if they do release a lefty pm3 or just hunt on the main websites that sell specialty or harder to find steels?
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Matt Broct wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:45 pm
Wow that sure is a ton of great advice, much appreciated! I never knew about the ultra mods either. I’ve been working with my pm2 righty with my left hand and getting better. Is this the best place to find if they do release a lefty pm3 or just hunt on the main websites that sell specialty or harder to find steels?
Yes, definitely hang out here on the forum, and if you sign up for a hard copy of the 2020 catalogue on the website, you will also receive Reveal updates throughout the year which will let you know about impending releases.

Subscribe to the electronic Spyderbyte newsletter and you’ll have all bases covered.

I’m another lefty who operates the standard compression lock with my forefinger and finds it to work fine. I haven’t tried the lefty compression lock, I must admit.

I highly recommend the lefty Military too. (I’ll make my usual request again here for it to be released in a sprint steel like Cruwear, REX45 or the like.)

Between those knives, the backlocks and CBBL knives like the Manix family, there’s a fair few options.
Last edited by Cambertree on Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Broct

Post by Matt Broct »

Ok, will do all and appreciate the intel

Matt
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

Manix 2 with the caged ball bearing lock is ambidextrous.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Matt Broct wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:39 pm
Hi Everyone

New to the forum, and I found some previous content but wondering if any current intel on left handed models.

I currently have manix 2, para 2 right handed (couldn’t wait at time of purchase), and looking for a para 3 southpaw lightweight or something similar that maybe the seasoned crew on here could recommend.

Hope everyone had a great holiday!

Matt

Welcome to the forum!

Has been said here alreday: A backlock is totally ambidextrous, and from what you listed above you never tried a Spyderco-backlock-knife...

Maybe you´d like to do so (try it)!
For me the backlock is clearly the best lock out there (generally, not only concerning ambidextrous use), perhaps you´d like it too?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Matt Broct

Post by Matt Broct »

Thanks, I now have 2-3 more on the list to buy!