What is your Last Spydie of the year before price hikes in 2020?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Gsg9

Re: What is your Last Spydie of the year before price hikes in 2020?

Post by Gsg9 »

Just ordered a Spyderco Spyderhawk Salt SPRINT RUN C77SOR, planning to retire on a sailboat, well, if I live long enough (people make plans and God laughs :D ) and I don't spend all my money on knives...

Not related to Spyderco's eternal price hikes, just wanted the knife before it disappears.

I think that will be useful along with my Caribbean Sheepsfoot and Pacific Salt, not that I could not go sailing without that Spyderhawk but that looks mean, sudden-death of all sailboat rope :)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Gsg9 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:32 pm
Just ordered a Spyderco Spyderhawk Salt SPRINT RUN C77SOR, planning to retire on a sailboat, well, if I live long enough (people make plans and God laughs :D ) and I don't spend all my money on knives...

Not related to Spyderco's eternal price hikes, just wanted the knife before it disappears.

I think that will be useful along with my Caribbean Sheepsfoot and Pacific Salt, not that I could not go sailing without that Spyderhawk but that looks mean, sudden-death of all sailboat rope :)
Mind sharing where you found that?? This is a major wish list item for me.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
brumledb

Post by brumledb »

Just grabbed a Smock with 1.5hrs to spare.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Wahoo so happy to get my Jumpmaster 2 the very knife silent Eric praises. Love DLT...
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:10 pm
cbrstar wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:58 pm
Well the good news is Sal said 99% of the prices are staying the same.
I missed Sal saying this. Can you cite the post?

A Maxamet PM2 is my last 2019er, and my last for a while, less because of some price-hike, more because I went Spydie-mad in 2019.
Sure https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/202 ... 317/page-5
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

cbrstar wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:46 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:10 pm
cbrstar wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:58 pm
Well the good news is Sal said 99% of the prices are staying the same.
I missed Sal saying this. Can you cite the post?
Sure https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/202 ... 317/page-5
Thanks. I hope we all take note with a fair amount of awe.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Thanks for the link

The exact quote is:

“ Spyderco is holding 99% of our prices for 2020, despite increases to us.

sal “

This is odd considering the threads going on here about price increases at MAP level versus MSRO remaining the same. Have we been duped by the retailers for some end of year boost in their sales?
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

Was just looking at the kapara at DLT today and was going to snag it. It was 181 if I remember correctly.

Tonight I go back to purchase and it’s now just over 200. Wonder if that is one that got the price increase?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:10 pm
Was just looking at the kapara at DLT today and was going to snag it. It was 181 if I remember correctly.

Tonight I go back to purchase and it’s now just over 200. Wonder if that is one that got the price increase?
Sorry to hear this sounds like profiteering to me. 1 day = not cool on DLT.

Shame I ordered my Jumpmaster2 from them. Even though warned I do not approve! I have spoken.

Like Amazon I will show them my displeasure by voting with my wallet rather than buying from them enjoy your silly points DLT, you just lost a repeat customer..

Foul play on you DLT, foul play.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

MSRP is staying the same for 99 percent of the knives... However, MAP changed from 35% to 30% hence the "price increase" seen on every regular production spyderco. The window has passed for trying to buy before the increase unfortunately
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:28 pm

Shame I ordered my Jumpmaster2 from them. Even though warned I do not approve! I have spoken.

Like Amazon I will show them my displeasure by voting with my wallet rather than buying from them enjoy your silly points DLT, you just lost a repeat customer..

It's not just DLT it's every dealer. 30 percent MAP is the new normal
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:32 pm
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:28 pm

It's not just DLT it's every dealer. 30 percent MAP is the new normal
The new normal can pound Salt. Good luck! Mike drop count me out!
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Got a backup Cruwear Native, because the one I have is simply excellent.

I cannot believe they are still available for the same price as a stock standard S30V version. KC seems to be late with their increases... :)
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

BHQ exclusive Dodo :D
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Too many mixed messages.

Sal says one thing on a different forum about Spyderco holding 99% of their pricing for 2020.

However the retailers are making a huge price hike at MAP trying to get closer to MSRP.

I think the ones that are not trying to get greedy will do better business 30 to 35% is a big leap.

Reason it out however you like but this is too much.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

I just looked at DLT the same knife I purchased the Spyderco Jumpmaster2 clearly something they did not just restock since New Years is now $175.00

I purchased at 162.50 this is close to an 8% increase.

Then I looked for the same knife at both Blade HQ. And Knife Center they have not raised their prices.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote: I just looked at DLT the same knife I purchased the Spyderco Jumpmaster2 clearly something they did not just restock since New Years is now $175.00

I purchased at 162.50 this is close to an 8% increase.

Then I looked for the same knife at both Blade HQ. And Knife Center they have not raised their prices.
Today is the first business day since yesterday was a holiday. I think thier prices will change eventually. Hopefully they put it off for a while, but who knows. It would be very cool and honorable of them if they kept thier current inventory at last years map and didnt change to the new map until they restocked. However I dont think it will go down like that, also considering they have out of stock items that are at the old prices that they would have no reason not to change the prices on. I think they just havent gotten the prices changed yet. I spent way too much on knives this year, and I got three more on new years eve just because of price increases. Outside of the siren and pac salt 2s, Im done for quite awhile. Maybe by next fall my wallet will have recovered enough.

Also that is a 5% increase on the Jumpmaster2, you have to raise the msrp from 65% to 70% not raise the current/former map price by 5%.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Doeswhateveraspidercan

I went by Purchased price to purchasable price today

So If you do the math purchase price to actual purchasable price today it is close to 8% not 5% in real dollars and cents.

Or and additional $12.50 for the same item.

Either way not as horrible as the 35% that has been discussed.

Honestly close to 8% it is acceptable anything beyond 10% in a year raises my hackles and I will not buy.

Covering expenses is to be expected raising the price on the exact item by beyond 10% is just greedy and using the false MSRP as justification to do so.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote: I went by Purchased price to purchasable price today

So If you do the math purchase price to actual purchasable price today it is close to 8% not 5% in real dollars and cents.

Or and additional $12.50 for the same item.

Either way not as horrible as the 35% that has been discussed.

Honestly close to 8% it is acceptable anything beyond 10% in a year raises my hackles and I will not buy.

Covering expenses is to be expected raising the price on the exact item by beyond 10% is just greedy and using the false MSRP as justification to do so.
No, what I mean is this. Sal saying they are holding 99% of thier pricing for 2020 means the msrp will stay the same but the map price can or will change. (Im assuming but this is the writing on the wall right now.) Purchase price is map price. 2019 map is 35% off msrp or 65% of the msrp price. 2020 map is 30% off msrp or 70% of the msrp price. Dont calculate the difference between purchase/map prices.

So for the jumpmaster 2 the msrp stays the same at $250 between last year and this year. The price increase is... $250×0.65= %162.50 for 2019. And after a 5% map increase you get $250×0.70=$175 for 2020.

Edit. Its all 6 of 1, half dozen of another really. Although from the other thread talking about this someone just said something about the waterway having a significant price jump so... dang! Looks like msrp went up on it as well as map pricing. Hopefully not too many have an msrp jump as well.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Jumpmaster two arrived today and in perfect time as I have a whole chicken to spatchcock!

Handles is a little bit cramped for my hand could have stood to be a wee bit longer but not a deal breaker. It came incredibly sharp and I can tell this one is a keeper!

Wish I would have pulled the trigger in this model much sooner, the serrations are the perfect kind so many of us prefer toothy but not too too they that they are a snag fest more slicy like in the serrated cattiness.

@EvilD you might want to get one of these.