Liner Lock Failure??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ankerson

Re: Liner Lock Failure??

Post by Ankerson »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:42 pm
I've beat the crap out of my Militaries without any failures. I usually don't pry doors off hinges or baton through car doors though so maybe my hard use is just not hard enough.

What?!!!!! :eek:

You mean you don't baton through concrete and steel and cut cars in half with a folder and cut stuff with the spine of the blade? :eek:

I don't either... ;)
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:43 am
Is the liner lock listed as a hard use lock by Spyderco or do they have other locks for that role?
Where is this "hard use lock list" ?
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I really like a good liner lock. The ones on militaries are some of the best. My Polestar also had a good one though the action wasn't anywhere near a Military. Spyderco really does know how to make a good liner lock.

Honestly, liner lock with phosphor bronze washers is a folding knife to me. How I got started and what I think of as standard folding knife. Everything else is derivation. I know this isn't true to the wider community or historically accurate, but that's just how I think about it.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:44 am
I really like a good liner lock. The ones on militaries are some of the best. My Polestar also had a good one though the action wasn't anywhere near a Military. Spyderco really does know how to make a good liner lock.

Honestly, liner lock with phosphor bronze washers is a folding knife to me. How I got started and what I think of as standard folding knife. Everything else is derivation. I know this isn't true to the wider community or historically accurate, but that's just how I think about it.
The Millie liner lock is the perfect example for how a linerlock should be done. For me the announced Millie 2 - featuring a comp.lock - will not be an improvement as far as lock is concerned (not saying that it´ll be bad though of course). I hope it will not actually REPLACE the current Millie, but rather offer an alternative.

For me both lock types are more than strong enough, the "finger never in the bladepath when closing" - thing never was something that matters to me, and I like that the fingers can stay in a very natural knife-grip position when actually disengaging the liner-lock bar (while in order to disengage a comp. lock tab or also the lock bar of my beloved midbacklock, one has to move one finger to the upper ("spine") side of the handle)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)