Smock owners

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SC_PATRIOT

Smock owners

Post by SC_PATRIOT »

Have some Christmas mo ey in a PayPal account and was on the fence about getting one. Reason being is that I have multiple PM2s, Delicas, Natives, and others but what uses are you all out there buying the Smocks for. General utility, specific purpose, or other.

I'm liking the comp lock and the release button and the blade grind but need some help getting over the edge..
Instagram: @my_blade_life
Spyderco only EDC... :D
Vendetta

Re: Smock owners

Post by Vendetta »

Do it. Its so slim in the pocket and great for all my edc uses.
Joey

Post by Joey »

I think the smock fits in many categories. There’s a lot to like about it, and not much to dislike. It’s one of the easier knives to quickly open/close one handed, which makes it easy to use in most scenarios. I find it pops out fast and fully, even with a sloppy deployment. A lot of flippers seem to be much harder to get a 100% deployment, and often require “wrist action” as you open them. The button lock makes it that much easier to close, too.

What is the issue you have with the edge?
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I guess you’re referring to the hollow grind, so I will address that. I prefer (in the abstract) a FFG blade but except for food prep I find the real world difference negligible. The deployment, and especially the lock are amazing. This is one of a few flippers I own but it’s much easier to deploy than the Positron and a Ferrum Forge Gent (highly regarded as an EDC and for it’s flipping action). The Smock is one of my favorite Spyderco knives. I would buy another one in a heartbeat if it were in another steel. Having said that I have no complaints about the S30 V. It’s a Taichung model and the fit and finish on mine is perfect. Highly recommended.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I think they wanted a push "over the edge"to buy one. I read it as a grind problem the first time too. :D
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Mine is just fine. Two things would have made it better.

1. A larger blade.

2. With a larger blade a functional choil. It is small an the blade goes to the edge cutting your finger is possible very easily.

The comp lock with a button is fantastic and secure does not get in the way nor is it prone to accidental release.

Open and close action are superb, I am not one for flippers but can see where someone who is will love the fidget factor.

I find it pretty easy to adjust my grip but still struggle to stay out of the choil.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Love my Smock. Love it. Hands down the best spydie flipper I've owned, imo. It's so easy to open and close, and I'm not ashamed to admit that it's fun, too. I'd also love to have a sprint with a new steel and ffg blade, but I'll never sell the original. I carry it as a general purpose edc.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
skybladefromthe

Post by skybladefromthe »

I am an owner as I bought a used Smock last Wednesday. It will come today with a deep carry clip.
I recently procured a Kapara. I'm wondering if 1 or both will survive.
I bought the Kapara for the blade and the Smock for deployment.

Follow up:
Have carried Smock for a day. Took apart cleaned. It's smoother now. I like it so far. I like the blade better than I though I would. It's a keeper for a little while at least. Kapara is edging Smock slightly.
Last edited by skybladefromthe on Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

JuPaul wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:18 pm
Love my Smock. Love it. Hands down the best spydie flipper I've owned, imo. It's so easy to open and close, and I'm not ashamed to admit that it's fun, too. I'd also love to have a sprint with a new steel and ffg blade, but I'll never sell the original. I carry it as a general purpose edc.
I would love a ffg Smock with m390 or something similar. I definitely wouldnt get rid of my standard one though. Its almost always in my pocket.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

It’s fun to flip!
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”