What ever happened to Elmax

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Slash

What ever happened to Elmax

Post by Slash »

I thought it was a premium "super steel". Too many haters like jdspydo (John Davis, yt rope cut test guy)or whatever his name is crapped on it years ago, so now it's not popular enough to use anymore?
Please say it ain't so. I've recently reacquired a large lionspy and gonna see what I remember being a well rounded steel.
Skidoosh

Re: What ever happened to Elmax

Post by Skidoosh »

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85492&p=1384163&hil ... x#p1383529

There was another thread recently. Its not a bad steel but had acquired a bad reputation. To sum up the thread there are some other steels that are more easily available that perform just as well. I like it but would not go out of my way to pay more for it.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Slash wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:30 pm
Too many haters like jdspydo (John Davis, yt rope cut test guy)or whatever his name is crapped on it years ago
I think “John Davis” is not JD Spydo.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
James Y

Post by James Y »

Slash wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:30 pm
I thought it was a premium "super steel". Too many haters like jdspydo (John Davis, yt rope cut test guy)or whatever his name is crapped on it years ago, so now it's not popular enough to use anymore?
Please say it ain't so. I've recently reacquired a large lionspy and gonna see what I remember being a well rounded steel.
JD Spydo is not that guy you’re talking about.

Jim
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

He's thinking jdavis882, who said many questionable things, many seemingly untrue, and disappeared after some questionable dealings.

Elmax is fine. The supposed problem was that zero tolerance had a bad heat treat and the blades underperformed. Which apparently they did have a short run of bad blades. But jdavis882 made such a big deal about it now everyone thinks zero tolerance has terrible heat treats of all their steels. Mine work fine, so do many others. Sure there are some bad ones it happens in production knives, even to spyderco at times.

Jdavis882 also said you could change the lockup of a Chris reeve by forcing the scales... Lol
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Slash

Post by Slash »

Skidoosh wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:02 pm
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85492&p=1384163&hil ... x#p1383529

There was another thread recently. Its not a bad steel but had acquired a bad reputation. To sum up the thread there are some other steels that are more easily available that perform just as well. I like it but would not go out of my way to pay more for it.
Thanks for link. Haven't been hanging around lately as everytime I jump on the forums I just spend more money.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

That's the nature of our hobby! 😂
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

I’m not sure one man has the power to discredit a steel.
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Larrin wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:29 pm
Maybe not... But it seems everywhere you turn and someone brings up zero tolerance and elmax, someone inevitably points back to one man. So, one man didn't do it, but he started the ball rolling and even after he disappeared, people continue to reference him.

Just what I've seen. Reading all of that made me unsure of zero tolerance, but I took a chance and didn't have any negative experiences with their s35vn (which was also supposedly suspect).
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

*JDavis paid everyone back and apologized.

*ZT had problems at first but figured it out.

*Zt switched to S35VN for cost of importing, material cost and availability being the biggest reason, not Elmax being tarnished from reviewers and HT.

*Elmax was hyped as the toughest PM stainless, however due to its chemistry and carbide volume this is untrue.

*There is barely vanadium carbide formed in Elmax, the vanadium is all absorbed by the chromium (CrV7C3/M7C3) so it's wear resistance comes from sheer volume of M7C3.

*There is zero advantage to 3rd gen powder, finer Carbides is a myth, the carbides are actually larger just easier to sharpen because they are larger, softer chromium carbides.

Elmax is a fun steel that has certainly captured folks imagination but given the facts there are better options today.

The new S45VN will have a better ratio of Vanadium carbides and chromium carbides, is capable of higher working hardness and has finer Carbides with similar wear resistance.
soc_monki wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:00 pm
He's thinking jdavis882, who said many questionable things, many seemingly untrue, and disappeared after some questionable dealings.

Elmax is fine. The supposed problem was that zero tolerance had a bad heat treat and the blades underperformed. Which apparently they did have a short run of bad blades. But jdavis882 made such a big deal about it now everyone thinks zero tolerance has terrible heat treats of all their steels. Mine work fine, so do many others. Sure there are some bad ones it happens in production knives, even to spyderco at times.

Jdavis882 also said you could change the lockup of a Chris reeve by forcing the scales... Lol
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

As I said in the other thread, what Elmax has over other steels is a cooler name. You gotta admit a Elmax just has a cool sound to it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Larrin wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:29 pm

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups" - George Carlin
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

soc_monki wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:00 pm
The supposed problem was that zero tolerance had a bad heat treat and the blades underperformed.
I own a ZT0770 in Elmax and have had zero issues with it. The heat treat on mine seems fine.

One of my favorite all time blades (and definitely my most used) is Elmax (a PW custom). I love that thing.

Still, I don't really need Elmax in new runs in the future. I'd much rather see a sprint in s125v or Vanax (for example) than Elmax, personally. And I'd be happy to pay the extra premium. I just don't find that Elmax performs much above s35vn (which I also have in the ZT0770), if at all, and it's definitely not in the same league as M390 (my favorite rendition of the 0770). And when judged against K390 (not fair, given the stain resistance differences) in the Pingo platform, their is really no comparison at all. Comparing apples to apples, Elmax is a good steel, but it's not something I'm excited about seeing more of going forward.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Yes :D all the "S (number) V" blurs together for the common man. Something like "Elmax" stands out so must be better :p
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:17 am
As I said in the other thread, what Elmax has over other steels is a cooler name. You gotta admit a Elmax just has a cool sound to it.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Ima trademark the name "TyrannoUltraBoneKilla" and it'll be something like an alloy of tantalum and plutonium or whatever lol
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Slash

Post by Slash »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:17 am
Yeah, even more kool than cruwear...

Maybe combine them and have a bastard named crumax or wearmax or elcru
Last edited by Slash on Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:33 am
Ima trademark the name "TyrannoUltraBoneKilla" and it'll be something like an alloy of tantalum and plutonium or whatever lol

I'm really surprised a steel company hasn't tried to buy the rights to "adamantium" from Marvel yet.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Sorry to be off topic, but if you get into a knife fight with another dude with a TyrannoUltraBoneKilla blade and they come into contact, it'll form a supercritical mass and you'll basically have a fast pulse reactor, killing both dudes. That's why I designed it that way, both to discourage knife fights AND to take away the marketing luster of "Elmax" and "Maxamet"
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Maxamet is much more deserving of its name than Elmax.
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

I see a lot more people asking for Elmax knives than people saying it’s no good.
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives