New Damascus models in 2020?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
CrayzCanuck

New Damascus models in 2020?

Post by CrayzCanuck »

Hi everyone,
So I am blind and love knives. perhaps an unusual combination.
Not being able to see, I particularly enjoy the tactile nature and functional mechanics of each individual knife. I particularly have enjoyed and appreciated the differences between the carbon fibre of the Kapara and the Sage 5, and the differences between G 10 and pakka wood models.

With 2020 approaching, I am wondering if any new models will be released with Damascus steel blades? does anyone think that I might be able to appreciate the beauty of the Damascus steel? Would I be able to feel the steel variations from the pattern welds? I know just knowing that it is Damascus would give me some enjoyment.

I would appreciate any input on this as this forum has such a great knowledge base.

Thank you.
CC
kerrcobra

Re: New Damascus models in 2020?

Post by kerrcobra »

You could probably feel the different layers with your fingertips. I have a Damascus Stretch, and I can noticeably feel the layers. However, I scratched the blade pretty badly and re-etched it to fix my mistake, so I'm quite sure that contributes to mine. Regardless, I think I was able to feel the layers beforehand as well.

As to whether Spyderco will release any new Damascus models in 2020, I don't know. However, KnifeJoy did recently release an Exclusive Delica/Endura with Damascus, and I believe there are still some Enduras for sale.
--Jeremy
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Deep etched Damascus blades are definitely a tactile experience, but it's not my experience that Spyderco does an especially deep etch.

I would love for Spyderco to introduce some new Damasteel models in 2020!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Yeah that KJ Damascus Delica/Endura sure was pretty!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
JMM

Post by JMM »

I would expect that you might find Damascus blades very fascinating -- the two currently available from KnifeJoy, a Delica & Endura would almost certainly be the least expensive and easily accessible models, do you have either/both of those? I am not aware of any other current or upcoming models, but others most certainly know more that I do... Good luck, please report back on your experiences if you care to share, I am sure the community would find your unique perspective very enlightening.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I pulled out my Damascus delica, and when I run my fingertips down the blade, I can tell that something is different, but I really can't feel all the individual layers. Maybe someone with highly sensitive fingertips could, though. For me, it has an overall almost soft silky feel like dlc does, plus some areas of slightly raised pattern. Definitely a different tactile experience than touching a satin blade.

Knifejoy does still have their Damascus Endura available, and that nice big blade might offer you more length to feel the pattern.

The titanium and damascus delicas and enduras are also still available at dealers.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.