2020 reveal predictions?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cbrstar

2020 reveal predictions?

Post by cbrstar »

It's time to crack out those crystal balls and give your best prediction of what Spyderco is gonna be up to in 2020! :cool:

Here's a few of mine:

Spyderco came out with a lot of LW models last year such as the PM3, Sage, and Police. This year it's gonna be followed up with the "Military LW" except the wire clip will finally offer a tip up option.

Native Chief will get a steel upgrade. I don't think it will be the LC200N people been asking for due to the release of the Siren in those materials. I'm thinking S35VN or MAYBE the new S45VN? :D

Shaman in Maxamet...And it will instantly sell out.

Knives I\d like to see...

A knife with the same mechanism as a Smock, but a tacticool blade.

What about you guys?
Mushroom

Re: 2020 reveal predictions?

Post by Mushroom »

I think the Paramilitary 2 Lightweight will make its debut in the Reveal Volume 4!

I also think we will finally get a Lil Native Sprint Run in the Reveal Volume 4! At least, I have my fingers crossed that we will. :D
-Nick :bug-red
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Interesting predictions, although what with the trouble the company had in grinding Maxamet for PM2 blades, I'm not sure we'd see a Maxamet Shaman anytime soon. But you're right, it would be a stunner! Also, a Military LW would be cool!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cbrstar wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:17 pm

.... This year it's gonna be followed up with the "Military LW" except the wire clip will finally offer a tip up option.
What about you guys?

Maybe have a look at this VERY recent thread for some answers: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85629 ;)

Concerning "Millie LW": I don´t think so, since Sal already was talking about a Military 2 featuring a comp. lock. I am pretty sure this will come first, and then maybe a lightweight version of this model later (though the Millie is rather lightweight anyway, being linerless for the most part already. Still there could be an FRN more budget version some day?)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:25 pm
cbrstar wrote:
It's time to crack out those crystal balls and give your best prediction of what Spyderco is gonna be up to in 2020! :cool:

Here's a few of mine:

Spyderco came out with a lot of LW models last year such as the PM3, Sage, and Police. This year it's gonna be followed up with the "Military LW" except the wire clip will finally offer a tip up option.

Native Chief will get a steel upgrade. I don't think it will be the LC200N people been asking for due to the release of the Siren in those materials. I'm thinking S35VN or MAYBE the new S45VN? :D

Shaman in Maxamet...And it will instantly sell out.

Knives I\d like to see...

A knife with the same mechanism as a Smock, but a tacticool blade.

What about you guys?

Maybe have a look at this VERY recent thread for some answers: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85629 ;)

Concerning "Millie LW": I don´t think so, since Sal already was talking about a Military 2 featuring a comp. lock. I am pretty sure this will come first, and then maybe a lightweight version of this model later (though the Millie is rather lightweight anyway, being linerless for the most part already. Still there could be an FRN more budget version some day?)
I saw that thread yesterday but seemed like no one was posting on it :confused:

PM2 LW does make a lot of sense considering the popularity of the PM3 LW. Hopefully they won't completely cheap out and add another bronze washer this time.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cbrstar wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:37 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:25 pm
cbrstar wrote:
I saw that thread yesterday but seemed like no one was posting on it :confused:

PM2 LW does make a lot of sense considering the popularity of the PM3 LW. Hopefully they won't completely cheap out and add another bronze washer this time.
Right, PM2 LW is a whole different story than Millie LW!!
I think the former would/will be a huge success, whenever it comes out.
And it would be crazy if Spyderco did not come up with one, now that they figured out how to construct a comp. lock in almost linerless FRN (Para 3 LW...)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

We know we are going to get some shaman options even if we dont know what they are yet.

Pretty sure we are going to get a lil native lightweight eventually.

I would like to see the military in a good steel and interesting color as a production model. Not a sprint so people could actually get ahold of one.

Seems kinda pointless to switch the chief from s30v to s35vn. Now s90v, with a layered g10 handle in good colors, I would be all over that.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

I would expect Spyderco to fill some of the holes in their existing line-up. Specifically, to appease the 11% of the population that is left handed, we might see a new Shaman. Perhaps there will be a left-hander made of steel with a little panache, like Cru-Wear or K390.
jdw

Post by jdw »

Has anyone heard a time frame for the release of the K390 Endura family knives?
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

jdw wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:16 am
Has anyone heard a time frame for the release of the K390 Endura family knives?
I don´t think that a time frame was stated (I would be very interested to know one either). Good thing is, at least it sounded quite definite that the eventually the whole Endura family will come in K390.
I wonder if for the K390 Stretch they´ll choose the "regular" drop point or the straight spine version... (or both?)?
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm not sure a Military LW makes sense apart from just changing the texture of the scales. The Military already has pretty minimal liners and I can't imagine G10 weighs so much more than FRN that changing the scale material will reduce weight enough to matter. Maybe if they completely eliminate the non lock bar side liner and switched to a wire clip that might drop a little weight but it won't be much. As much as I love the Military I think if this were going to happen it would have by now, and I think it'll be more likely in the future with the Military 2 if/when it finally happens.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:53 am
Good thing is, at least it sounded quite definite that the eventually the whole Endura family will come in K390.

Well, let's hope the wharncliffe Delica is in there.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Honestly, the Swayback has me curious. As long as the blade isnt TOO thick, I'll definitely be buying one.

Almost bought a Techno, but the blade was too thick for such a small knife.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I think we will see a production Cru-carta Shaman in OD Green. Sun/Moon Chap will probably be in the next one. Pacific Salt 2 I'm guessing as well.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
phaust

Post by phaust »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:55 am
I'm not sure a Military LW makes sense apart from just changing the texture of the scales. The Military already has pretty minimal liners and I can't imagine G10 weighs so much more than FRN that changing the scale material will reduce weight enough to matter. Maybe if they completely eliminate the non lock bar side liner and switched to a wire clip that might drop a little weight but it won't be much. As much as I love the Military I think if this were going to happen it would have by now, and I think it'll be more likely in the future with the Military 2 if/when it finally happens.
Despite the name, the lightweight models have shown not to be about weight but cost saving measures to get something out with MAP price at what the G10 models were a few years ago. I agree a LW Military wouldn't save much if any weight, but I don't think that isn't the point of that type, considering how many don't actually reduce weight any significant amount.

Agree it's probably too late to happen though. The only thing I can imagine is if Sal and crew decide to keep the original as a lightweight while transitioning the G10 version to the new model, in order to try to keep everyone happy. Still, it seems unlikely they'd put out a LW before seeing the reaction to version two.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

I think we'll see the tanto PM2 and a burnt orange Manix 2 with Rex45. The K390 Endura family run should be coming in 2020, since Spyderco clearly got their K390 shipment(K390 PM2 from BBS) and we will definitely see some more Shaman variants.

We might see a Native Chief in S110V and possibly a Para 3 LW in S110V.

My fringe prediction is either a custom shop addition or more offerings in highly desired steels, based on Sal's thread about which 3 steels we all liked.

Maybe we will see some new sharpening stones, since Spyderco is working on a larger variety of CBN/Diamond options.
Monty

Post by Monty »

Hoping to see the Nirvana 2.0 come about, also salt variants of the lil native and Police LW, both in SE.

Expect pm2 tanto, many steel variations of pm3 lw.
neuronic

Post by neuronic »

LC200 Kapara?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Military 2

Smaller version of the Hundred Pacer
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I think the first S45VN knife will be the PM2 (really going out there on a limb, aren't I?).