Any interest in more Phil Wilson collaboration?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Any interest in this one?

Yay
92%
Nay
8%

Total votes: 72

vivi

Re: Any interest in more Phil Wilson collaboration?

Post by vivi »

If Taiwan can pull off the Ronin 2 for $100, how would you feel about a Phil Wilson design built with similar materials?
:unicorn
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:26 am
If Taiwan can pull off the Ronin 2 for $100, how would you feel about a Phil Wilson design built with similar materials?
Great point, Vivi! Thanks.

I do agree with several others that a mid-range Phil Wilson design might be best and that Taiwan (probably not the Taichung maker) might provide the best value proposition for a mid-range steel. CPM BD1n or CPM 154 would be pretty nice with g10 handle.

I would also be entirely happy with a Sandvik steel like 12c27 or slight preference for 14c28n (Uddeholm AEB-L/ Sandvik 13c26 is great too)

I would be into a Crucarta variant, but not sure it would meet a mid-range price point. I don't think US production, regardless of steel can meet the mid-range price point. I would happily be wrong about this and the z cuts might be a good counter example in BD1n.

It does seem that Chinese production is unlikely for upgraded steels at this time (from the indications that Sal has given on multiple occasions.)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Vivi wrote:
Oh yeah baby
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Enactive wrote:
Vivi wrote:
Great point, Vivi! Thanks.

I do agree with several others that a mid-range Phil Wilson design might be best and that Taiwan (probably not the Taichung maker) might provide the best value proposition for a mid-range steel. CPM BD1n or CPM 154 would be pretty nice with g10 handle.

I would also be entirely happy with a Sandvik steel like 12c27 or slight preference for 14c28n (Uddeholm AEB-L/ Sandvik 13c26 is great too)

I would be into a Crucarta variant, but not sure it would meet a mid-range price point. I don't think US production, regardless of steel can meet the mid-range price point. I would happily be wrong about this and the z cuts might be a good counter example in BD1n.

It does seem that Chinese production is unlikely for upgraded steels at this time (from the indications that Sal has given on multiple occasions.)
Well the waterway exist, and is definitely what I would consider midrange price point between Spydercos expensive fixed blades and the very cheap bow river. I dont see why the Golden factory couldnt pull off another fixed blade in the $150 range.

Also Seki vg10 fixed blades all seem to be at $107. So if people would be ok with old boring vg10 then that is also an option.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:02 am
Also Seki vg10 fixed blades all seem to be at $107. So if people would be ok with old boring vg10 then that is also an option.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Pancake wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:53 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:10 am
I might be very interested, especially in a fillet knife. However, if it is another Chinese value knife then I am not interest at all.
Hey Darby, why not as a value knife?

I would vote for middle ground steel and price, like around 120 € with VG10, BD1N...or something else.
I have a few nicer fixed blades already as well as a few beaters. A budget hunting knife is something I definitely don’t need.

A premium fillet knife on the other hand is something I definitely don’t have.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Yes, but not if it's made in China. I would rather spend the extra and have it made in Taichung.

If I have the choice, I won't buy a Chinese made product.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:55 am
Yes, but not if it's made in China. I would rather spend the extra and have it made in Taichung.

Taiwan(otherwise known as the Republic of China) is still under Chinese(People's Republic of China) control. Whether or not mainland China takes their share of the pie, I do not know, but I still don't trust it.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Albatross wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:43 am
Sumdumguy wrote:

Taiwan(otherwise known as the Republic of China) is still under Chinese(People's Republic of China) control. Whether or not mainland China takes their share of the pie, I do not know, but I still don't trust it.
I'm sorry to have to put on my persnickety hat, but this is just incorrect.

It is a complicated relationship to be sure, but at least for now and the past ~70 years Taiwan has been an autonomous nation despite PRC rhetoric and efforts otherwise.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Enactive wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:02 am
Albatross wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:43 am
Sumdumguy wrote:

I'm sorry to have to put on my persnickety hat, but this is just incorrect.

It is a complicated relationship to be sure, but at least for now and the past ~70 years Taiwan has been an autonomous nation despite PRC rhetoric and efforts otherwise.
Correct, there's no formal control, but China muscles Taiwan around with threats of military action or starvation. Officially, yes they are autonomous.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Oh come on, get outta here with this political and geografical nonsense. I want a knife, don´t care where it comes from!

Guys, I am relly suprised that there is support for next model.
DukeNiemand

Post by DukeNiemand »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:22 pm
DukeNiemand wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:45 pm
I'd love to see a Wilson fillet-style blade in a high wear resistance stainless steel like S90V, Vanax, S110V, or S125V.
Have you seen the South Fork?
Yeah I missed out on that and the Sprig. Should have said "another" in my original comment.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Im a little suprised by this thread. Bd1n has not impressed me at all. Cpm 154 really doesnt do anything for me either. Also I would much rather have U.S.A. made over Taiwan.

If we could get s90v or s45vn, with g10 or layered g10 or micarta, from Golden from anywhere in the $150 range I would be happy.
Also if we could get boring vg10 with frn out of Seki for $100, that would be great too.

The middle ground is definitely in those options.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

VooDooChild wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:47 am
Im a little suprised by this thread. Bd1n has not impressed me at all. Cpm 154 really doesnt do anything for me either. Also I would much rather have U.S.A. made over Taiwan.

If we could get s90v or s45vn, with g10 or layered g10 or micarta, from Golden from anywhere in the $150 range I would be happy.
Also if we could get boring vg10 with frn out of Seki for $100, that would be great too.

S90V Golden made fixed blade within 150 USD is next to impossible. Maybe if it have like 2 inch blade.
Waterway is around 130 $ and that is only LC200N. Price for a steel is only a one factor, how hard is that one steel to grind is another factor. If you go through 10 belts on S90V Vs 2 belts on LC200N that is going to raise the cost a lot.
Also, FRN is out of option in Japan, molds are very expensive and for a first run it is much more efficient to make it out of G10.

I would say that Taiwan, Japan factory with CPM154, BD1N or VG-10 is out best bet for next Wilson's designs (if we agree on that middle road approach). I am not from America and I don't care where is that knife made. I have Bow River and Waterway and fit and finish is not like night and day difference....because there are pretty dang similar in finish.
Golden made in CPM154 is ok to me.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

VooDooChild wrote:

With the South Fork being $260 and the Sprig being a little over $200, there's no way you'd get that knife around the $150 mark, especially with the increase in MAP next year.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Pancake wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:

S90V Golden made fixed blade within 150 USD is next to impossible. Maybe if it have like 2 inch blade.
Waterway is around 130 $ and that is only LC200N. Price for a steel is only a one factor, how hard is that one steel to grind is another factor. If you go through 10 belts on S90V Vs 2 belts on LC200N that is going to raise the cost a lot.
Also, FRN is out of option in Japan, molds are very expensive and for a first run it is much more efficient to make it out of G10.

I would say that Taiwan, Japan factory with CPM154, BD1N or VG-10 is out best bet for next Wilson's designs (if we agree on that middle road approach). I am not from America and I don't care where is that knife made. I have Bow River and Waterway and fit and finish is not like night and day difference....because there are pretty dang similar in finish.
I will say that frn needing molds an issue that I overlooked and you are correct on that.

BUT! There is not an 80% difference between grinding s90v and lc200n. You are correct in saying that s90v is more difficult to grind, but they are both still steels and both are within 90% similar to each other as opposed to different.

Its all just steel, grinding one vs the other is not raising price by that large a margin.

I see no reason why Golden U.S.A. couldnt do a s90v "simple" fixed blade with simple g10 for $150.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Make it yourself and see :p
Steels like s90v cost more for the bar of steel and cost more in abrasive belts to grind.

VooDooChild wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:57 am
Pancake wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:

I will say that frn needing molds an issue that I overlooked and you are correct on that.

BUT! There is not an 80% difference between grinding s90v and lc200n. You are correct in saying that s90v is more difficult to grind, but they are both still steels and both are within 90% similar to each other as opposed to different.

Its all just steel, grinding one vs the other is not raising price by that large a margin.

I see no reason why Golden U.S.A. couldnt do a s90v "simple" fixed blade with simple g10 for $150.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I surely love my Phil Wilson Spydies. Another collab would be welcomed, but my vote would be for more of an afi/performance oriented model in regards to edge
geometry. And I agree with keeping this collab out of China.

As a nudge here in regards to usage/warranty concerns, Microtech puts out production knives with .010 BTE factory blades. Of all collabs possible, a Phil Wilson collab would be THE choice for some slicier geometry.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Pancake wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:43 am
Oh come on, get outta here with this political and geografical nonsense. I want a knife, don´t care where it comes from!

Guys, I am relly suprised that there is support for next model.
This has nothing to do with politics or geographic location.

It is about QUALITY.

You are going to get a better quality product out of Taichung and Golden than you will from China 99% of the time. It says something when a manufacturer will(can?) only work with one low grade steel. I don't even want to imagine how many knives Spyderco had to toss(Rhino comes to mind) out before finding a manufacturer that met their standards.

When it comes down to it, I have the money to pay for the upgraded models in the specifications that I like(except Vancron Superclean...). So naturally, I'm going to have zero desire to see another budget Phil Wilson design. We already have the Bow River, now lets do something crazy!

As an aside; If I were ever going to buy a Chinese made knife, I would trust no one but Spyderco.

:spyder:
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

A six inch Phil Wilson designed fillet made in Golden would be an instabuy. I would most likely also buy an 8 inch.

I would still be happy to see a more premium Bow River.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?