Linerless: Any issues?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VooDooChild

Re: Linerless: Any issues?

Post by VooDooChild »

I know people talked about replacing scales, and for frn I would agree there is a big issue, but if its linerless g10 then you could still machine your own g10 replacement scales. It would be more difficult, especially with stepped pins, but it could be done with skill and the right equipment.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:05 pm
I know people talked about replacing scales, and for frn I would agree there is a big issue, but if its linerless g10 then you could still machine your own g10 replacement scales. It would be more difficult, especially with stepped pins, but it could be done with skill and the right equipment.
This is true, but I can't imagine very many people have access to a cnc router, or knowledge of how to properly use one. The precision needed, is beyond what most(myself included) can do with simple hand tools. Even a Dremel wont give the desired results, without hours of hand sanding and filling. I've made scales for fixed blade knives/machetes by hand, and even without the intricacies on the inner side of the scales, it still takes a lot of work and time to get it right. Fixed blade scales are easy compared to most folders, since you only have to worry about making sure they're true, even, shaped properly, and drilled in the right spots. No milling required.

That said, if you DO have access to a cnc router, with the knowledge and skills to make scales, just make sets for linerless knives, so this becomes a non-issue for everyone else. Please. :D
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Albatross wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:05 pm
This is true, but I can't imagine very many people have access to a cnc router, or knowledge of how to properly use one. The precision needed, is beyond what most(myself included) can do with simple hand tools. Even a Dremel wont give the desired results, without hours of hand sanding and filling. I've made scales for fixed blade knives/machetes by hand, and even without the intricacies on the inner side of the scales, it still takes a lot of work and time to get it right. Fixed blade scales are easy compared to most folders, since you only have to worry about making sure they're true, even, shaped properly, and drilled in the right spots. No milling required.

That said, if you DO have access to a cnc router, with the knowledge and skills to make scales, just make sets for linerless knives, so this becomes a non-issue for everyone else. Please. :D
You could do it without a cnc machine, but exactly like you said it would be a PAIN in the butt. You would be shooting for measurements too close to get to with your eyes, especially given Spydercos very tight tolerances. None the less, there are definitely some craftsman out there who could pull it off. Maybe they should start making g10 scales for linerless models like the native 5 :) .
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
tangent

Post by tangent »

Surfingringo wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:08 am
No advantage to having liners in my usage and numerous advantages to linerless. My linerless knives (salts) get used FAR heavier than any other folders I own. I have never had the slightest issue with strength or integrity with linerless frn knives. Same story with G10. The main advantages for me are lighter weight and vastly improved corrosion resistance. I’ve gotten so used to the LW knives that I rarely carry g10 knives with liners anymore. I don’t hate liners but given the choice I’ll take the weight savings and corrosion resistance of linerless.
^^This^^

I sincerely wish Spyderco would make more linerless models. IMHO linerless should be standard.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Surfingringo wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:08 am
No advantage to having liners in my usage and numerous advantages to linerless. My linerless knives (salts) get used FAR heavier than any other folders I own. I have never had the slightest issue with strength or integrity with linerless frn knives. Same story with G10. The main advantages for me are lighter weight and vastly improved corrosion resistance. I’ve gotten so used to the LW knives that I rarely carry g10 knives with liners anymore. I don’t hate liners but given the choice I’ll take the weight savings and corrosion resistance of linerless.
My Caribbean is pretty darned corrosion resistant, relatively light and undeniably stronger. I like them and the weight doesn't bother me.

I guess if I got to frolic around in my swimmies all the time like some people, I'd care more about weight. :p

We'll have to agree to disagree.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

My Pacific Salt locks up like the proverbial bank vault. I can honestly say that it locks up tighter than any other Spyderco backlock I have owned.

It has seen a lot of use since I took this picture, and I haven't even had to tighten the pivot.

Hobnob

Post by Hobnob »

Thanks for the feedback on linerless Spydies. Like I said, I've never had a problem. With that being said, I haven't put them through hard use like Lance has. Spyderco has been making linerless models for a long time. I guess if there was an issue we would know by now. I will continue to enjoy my linerless models.

It wouldn't surprise me if the new Pac Salt 2 is linerless.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Hobnob wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:00 pm
Thanks for the feedback on linerless Spydies. Like I said, I've never had a problem. With that being said, I haven't put them through hard use like Lance has. Spyderco has been making linerless models for a long time. I guess if there was an issue we would know by now. I will continue to enjoy my linerless models.

I'd be shocked if the Pac Salt 2 has liners. I agree that we'd know by now if there was a problem with liner-less knives.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

ugaarguy wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:13 pm
Hobnob wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:00 pm

I'd be shocked if the Pac Salt 2 has liners. I agree that we'd know by now if there was a problem with liner-less knives.
Sal has already said that that Pac Salt 2 will be linerless.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I’ve never had any issues with linerless knives. I like both linered and linerless.

I will say that I feel the linerless FRN knives of more recent years (post-2K) seem more solid at the pivot during cutting than the ones back in the ‘90s. I could be wrong, but that’s my impression from use.

Jim