Help me identify this Paramilitary 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Salibas007

Help me identify this Paramilitary 2

Post by Salibas007 »

I was recently given an older para 2 and I’m looking for some help identifying it. What is different than other para 2’s I’ve handled is the number 107 written on the blade and a missing signature to the left of the hole (I think it’s supposed to be Eric’s signature that goes there, of af least that’s what I’ve been told).

It’s an S30V blade with G10 handles

I guess for starters does this knife look legit ? And if yes, what do these differences mean ?
Wartstein

Re: Help me identify this Paramilitary 2

Post by Wartstein »

Salibas007 wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:50 pm
I was recently given an older para 2 and I’m looking for some help identifying it. What is different than other para 2’s I’ve handled is the number 107 written on the blade and a missing signature to the left of the hole (I think it’s supposed to be Eric’s signature that goes there, of af least that’s what I’ve been told).

I guess for starters does this knife look legit ? And if yes, what do these differences mean ?

Others will know more about this, but the number could indicate it is an collectors club item - ?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

With a collectors club number on a plain black g10 s30v PM2 means it must be from 2010, right? I don't know enough about the history of the model to say if Eric's mark was included back then or not. Or if it's potentially a fake...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

OP,

The signature IS there on one side of the blade, just like it should be.
And it's the "combined" Sal/Eric signature ( (EDIT: That´s nonsense, thanks Radioactive Spyder!)) ,also like it should be

So nothing to worry about... :)
Last edited by Wartstein on Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Hi there, you have a fairly rare first run Paramilitary 2, evidenced by it having the number 107 Collectors Club marking. This means it was one of the first 200 knives of this model to be fully assembled in Golden. I would be flabbergasted if it was a fake (why on Earth would a fake have a CC number on it??).

As for the makers marks, clearly this was before Eric’s was added to these knives, which is obviously done now. I’m sure someone more sleuthy than me can find out exactly when. Only Sal’s mark is on this one (it’s “S-A-L”), not sure what Warstein is saying...

I’d say get it sharpened up and use it! It’s one of the first 200 Paramilitary 2s EVER made! :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Salibas007

Post by Salibas007 »

Thanks for all the help. You guys put my mind at ease. The knife feels and handles like a pm2. It was the small differences that got me thinking. Little did I know that those differences actually made the knife a unique specimen. Now I’m really stocked.

What would you think the value of a blade like that should be ? In line with another similar pm2 (g10, sv30) ?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:01 am

.....Only Sal’s mark is on this one (it’s “S-A-L”), not sure what Warstein is saying...

I’d say get it sharpened up and use it! It’s one of the first 200 Paramilitary 2s EVER made! :D

Forgot to say: Welcome to the forum of course, Salibas 007! :)
Cool to have one of the first 200 PM2s ever made, as Radioactive Spyder pointed out (I would not have known this)

/ @ Radioactive Spyder: Wartstein (=me :D ) didn´t really look and was talking nonsense concerning the "combined Eric/Sal makers mark". :o
Thanks for correcting me, I edited my post! :)
Donut

Post by Donut »

Yeah, one of the first ones of the first run. 107 is the collector's club #, 107 is designated to a certain person who owned the collector's club subscription. If it wasn't the original Para 2, then the collector's club would have been marked with a V at the end to signify "Variant". Yours would be marked 107V if it was a variant.

I don't know if a variant has ever been released before the non-variant model.

I thought the story was that there are a limit of 200 collector's club memberships available and that we've never heard how many out of those 200 are "in action" or accounted for.

It looks legit. There was some mistakes and some changes done with the logos in the year after the Para 2 came out. Some released with only Sal's logo. Some released with no logo? It settled to both Sal and EG logos.

Sal designed the first Para, the Para 1. Eric made some (significant) improvements and that's where the Para 2 came from, so both designer initials go on this one!
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!