Which models did you initially dislike but then came around?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Which models did you initially dislike but then came around?

Post by vivi »

Spydercos lockbacks in general. Growing up I always viewed them as an old school lock, and felt like liner locks were more modern. It took me a while to appreciate the way Spyderco built their lockbacks, and over time they've become my favorite.
:unicorn
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Sage 3. I thought the choil and hand fit were a little too demanding about where I put my fingers, and the argyle scale pattern was too fancy and dressy looking. Later I realized the choil and ergos were a lot like my beloved Manixes and the weave was fairly subtle looking most of the time... but I still like the open construction of the Sage 5 better.

Frame locks and liner locks because I thought they would be harder to close one-handed left handed. Then I realized how easy it is with most of them to just disengage the lock with my left index fingertip. Now they're some of my most favorites, for example, liner lock and frame lock millies.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

"Dislike" is a too strong negative term, but at first I thought Spydercos in general would not really "look like a knife should look like".
That has totally, 100% changed as soon as I tried, held, used them. For years now I love the look of most Spydercos and feel like designs of other makers are missing something.

Then, before I got them, I thought I would not like the Stretch 1 and the Chap LW as much as I do now in fact.

At the time I bought the Stretch 1, I knew almost nothing about Spyderco, their philosophy, history, who Sal Glesser is and so on. Just wanted a folder sized between Endura and Delica. Got the knife, and was immidiately blown away by its magic ergos and unusual, but very usefull bladeshape.

The Chap initially was meant to fill just the role of a somewhat ok-ish (for me) tiny folder I could carry when I wanted to go really small (IWB or unclipped in a zippered pocket on shorter trailruns and the like). Did not think it was something special.
But now it`s one of my favorite Spydies. Too small for general EDC, but amazing ergos for the size and especially how thin the handle is, and a superior slicer with its even for Spyderco very thin, but still strong enough blade.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

Mine was a manix as well. It was heavier and bigger in my pocket, but using it felt great and liked its blade size for a big heavy duty knife. Sold the first one, but bought another in a sprint and love it now.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

The Stretch - first I didn't like the SS/Kraton handles, then I didn't like the G10 handles - once the FRN model was released with ZDP-189 I decided to try it and found it an amazing knife. Great handle, awesome blade - the S2 and straight spine sprint are even better.