New Shaman release

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
CrayzCanuck

New Shaman release

Post by CrayzCanuck »

Hello all,
Very new to this forum. I have owned Spyderco knives for many years and I am just discovering some of the incredible variety. truly looking forward to the latest iteration of the Shaman.

Is there any speculation as to the release date and what the newest Shaman models will consist of?
Any model configurations you would most like to see?

Thanks.
CC
sal

Re: New Shaman release

Post by sal »

Hi Canuck,

Welcome to our form.

There are a number of Shamans coming out.

sal
CrayzCanuck

Post by CrayzCanuck »

Any chance someone could direct me to information regarding the possible new Shaman releases?
Thanks again
CC
CrayzCanuck

Post by CrayzCanuck »

Any chance someone could direct me to information regarding the possible new Shaman releases?
Thanks again
CC
FreeGolf

Post by FreeGolf »

Hi Sal,

Thank you for responding about the Shaman! I've been a long time lurker to the forum and this excitement over the new Shaman sprints have got me revved up. So much that I finally created an account and started posting. I look forward to contributing here.
Is there any other bits of info you could perhaps divulge for us Sal? 1st quarter release of one hopefully? The anticipation for the sprint runs are KILLING me since I was not able to get in on the micarta sprint run. I probably check here and other blade forums about 3-4 times a day scouring for new little tidbits and news regarding Shaman sprints. Maybe we could use this thread as a semi-official news and rumors about the new Shamans. So, lets start "spyning" that web of info about the Shamans! (See what I did there?)

Thanks
Steve
Last edited by FreeGolf on Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

We've heard rumors of a Rex45/rosewood shaman coming up. And some have speculated that there might be a dlc m4/jade g10 still coming from Bladehq. And Sal has told us that he'd do another similar sprint run to the Cruwear/Micarta shaman - many have speculated it'll be pd#1 steel (a cruwear analogue) with a different color micarta, but we haven't heard for certain.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

CrayzCanuck wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:19 pm
Hello all,
Very new to this forum. I have owned Spyderco knives for many years and I am just discovering some of the incredible variety. truly looking forward to the latest iteration of the Shaman.

Is there any speculation as to the release date and what the newest Shaman models will consist of?
Any model configurations you would most like to see?

Thanks.
CC
You can see some variations right at the beginning and right at the end of this video https://youtu.be/xiy8GYzned0

/ What configurations I personally would most like to see? I am totally fine with S30V (especially in the stone washed finish it has on the Shaman), and the Micarta as well as the wooden handle are very much to my liking already.

I know that´s not exactly what you meant to ask, but I´d like to see a backlock Shaman. But Sal already mentioned in some other thread something along the lines that this would be hard to do, since the blade is too tall to fit into the handle together with lockbar / backspacer (at least that´s what I recall, could be wrong though).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi FreeGolf,

Welcome to our forum. Hope you enjoy your time here. Lotsa very knowledgeable knife afi's here.

As you can see, there are quite a few Shaman's in-the-works.

sal
blues

Post by blues »

sal wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:35 pm
Hi FreeGolf,

Welcome to our forum. Hope you enjoy your time here. Lotsa very knowledgeable knife afi's here.

As you can see, there are quite a few Shaman's in-the-works.

sal
- Retired from the chase -
CrayzCanuck

Post by CrayzCanuck »

Thanks very much for the video link.
Really great video Sal. Looking forward to the future Shaman releases, as is everyone else.
Very cool analogy about the rodeo clown, you don’t want to be late.
Any indication of where and when we should be looking for these?

Thanks
CC
sal

Post by sal »

Best place is probably here.

sal
joeldworkin307

Post by joeldworkin307 »

sal wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:08 pm
Hi Canuck,

Welcome to our form.

There are a number of Shamans coming out.

sal
Sal, you are a sly dog!
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

I would love to see a DLC 52100/Gray G10 à la the Knifeworks Manix 2.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

thewoodpecker wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:07 am

That would be cool, but I wonder if they would take that risk since that Manix took A LONG TIME to sell out for an exclusive (I have one and love it) One of the best looking knives out there.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:12 am
thewoodpecker wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:07 am

That would be cool, but I wonder if they would take that risk since that Manix took A LONG TIME to sell out for an exclusive (I have one and love it) One of the best looking knives out there.
Could be but with the performance that people have seen from that 52100 and also being a tougher steel offering in the Shaman platform I am inclined to think it would actually sell better than the Manix. I love the M2 platform but it isn't a new design and it seems like the Shaman is a hot ticket based on other exclusive/sprints runs.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

That's very true. They could make a Shaman with 8cr13mov steel, throw some Micarta on it and it would be an instant sell out!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:23 am
That's very true. They could make a Shaman with 8cr13mov steel, throw some Micarta on it and it would be an instant sell out!
I'm not so sure. Maybe at $50, but there's a lot of folks who draw the line at 8cr13mov...
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:16 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
I'm not so sure. Maybe at $50, but there's a lot of folks who draw the line at 8cr13mov...

As someone who hasn't tried a Shaman yet due to the price, I'd definitely consider it if they brought the price down using a budget steel (420HC?). I could say that about most knives, though.
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
I would definitely pay upward to $100 for it in that steel! Great beater and easy to touch up. Got the chance to hold a Shaman in hand, very good ergos, it felt almost like a fixed blade. The price for the S30V version is a bit steep for that material imho, but I would definitely buy it in some higher end steel sprint run. I need to be fussy about it, us euros pay premium for it :(