Native 5 with Compression Lock please!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mtnblades

Native 5 with Compression Lock please!

Post by Mtnblades »

My dream Spyderco is a Sage 5 in Maxamet, M390, Cruwear, or maybe lc200n. I get that the Sage series is about the lock, and s30v is great stuff, but that’s where I’d like to put my $.

My backup, and likely more possible option is a Native 5 with a compression lock. With the popularity of the compression lock (PM2, para 3, Shaman), length limits in many places (3”), and a strong market for less aggressive (no huge thumb ramp please) knives it seems like this is an obvious next step and a great platform for sprint runs.

What do others think?
Hardbawl

Re: Native 5 with Compression Lock please!

Post by Hardbawl »

Please consider that the Compression Lock, as good and as fun as it is, leaves out the left handed portion of the knife owning public. Further, the Compression Lock, great as it is, does not do a real good job securing a closed blade. Granted there is a slight spring tension on the closed blade but more would be much better. The Back Lock on the Native 5 has been really refined into a great lock. The Native 5 can be opened AND closed using the master hand alone without getting fingers in the way of the sharp part. Even us lowly south paws can successfully operate the Native 5. Whoever designed the Native 5 did well. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'll agree on one thing: Cruwear is the bomb! My Native 5 in Cruwear is the sharpest knife I have ever had. Best knife steel that I have found.
geronm042

Post by geronm042 »

Compression lock might be “fun” but I would pick a beautiful back lock like the native’s one any day... on any knife actually.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Nope, keep the Native 5 just as it is. Plenty of other Spyderco folders in the same size range with compression locks.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I would buy a Comp Lock Native 5 immediately, as long as it is NOT a LW. LC200N/CF is always my dream combo.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'd buy one
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Hardbawl wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:01 am
Please consider that the Compression Lock, as good and as fun as it is, leaves out the left handed portion of the knife owning public. Further, the Compression Lock, great as it is, does not do a real good job securing a closed blade. Granted there is a slight spring tension on the closed blade but more would be much better. The Back Lock on the Native 5 has been really refined into a great lock. The Native 5 can be opened AND closed using the master hand alone without getting fingers in the way of the sharp part. Even us lowly south paws can successfully operate the Native 5. Whoever designed the Native 5 did well. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'll agree on one thing: Cruwear is the bomb! My Native 5 in Cruwear is the sharpest knife I have ever had. Best knife steel that I have found.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Okay I'll change my response even though I hate ignorant cringy threads.

Even though Spyderco offers a plethora of options in locks scales and steels. Knives are not like Lego blocks. A lock can't be popped out and replaced with another.

Changing the Native from a linerless backlock to a compression liner lock takes a 100% remake of the knife. Its literally a completely new knife that looks like a Native.

The lil native and the Shamin are just that. Totally new knives that look like the Native.
Last edited by 5-by-5 on Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

I wouldn't buy one—the Native 5 Lightweight as currently configured functions perfectly for me as a work knife—but I think it would be nice as an option for people who like the Native 5's ergos and aesthetics but prefer the compression lock over the mid-backlock.

That said, the Para 3 and Sage 5 already occupy the 3-inch compression lock production folder segment of the Spyderco catalogue, and a full production compression lock Native 5 would probably just end up cannibalizing their sales without adding significantly to overall sales.
CrayzCanuck

Post by CrayzCanuck »

I would buy one. I really like the native five but feel the compression lock option would just add to the knife. I like the blade profile and unless Spyderco will send out the para three with a deep carry clip I’d prefer that option.
CC
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

If we would not have Sage 5, then ok, but with Sage 5 being very close to Native....why bother.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
DTPrime

Post by DTPrime »

I love my backlock Natives but I love my shamans and lil natives too, so I'm sure I'd love a comp lock native. I'd be surprised if the addition would cause backlock natives to suddenly became a rarity since there is clearly a portion of the market with a strong preference for them just like the comp lock, but if it's a concern can always call it something else if you want. Lil' shaman anyone?
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Pancake wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:38 pm
If we would not have Sage 5, then ok, but with Sage 5 being very close to Native....why bother.
I agree. The Sage 5 is almost exactly what he's asking for.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I think I'd rather see a Chief with the Comp Lock.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Native has the best backlock in the world. Not interested on a comp lock version. I am sure it would sell though.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

5-by-5 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:35 am
Okay I'll change my response even though I hate ignorant cringy threads.

Even though Spyderco offers a plethora of options in locks scales and steels. Knives are not like Lego blocks. A lock can't be popped out and replaced with another.

Changing the Native from a linerless backlock to a compression liner lock takes a 100% remake of the knife. Its literally a completely new knife that looks like a Native.

The lil native and the Shamin are just that. Totally new knives that look like the Native.
True. So call it a lil' Shaman if that makes more sense. I would absolutely buy one, especially with contoured g10 like the shaman.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Personally I prefer the mid backlock over the comp. lock in literally every aspect that is important to me, and additionally the Native has the best executed backlock I personally ever experienced (together with the Chaparral).

Generally though I´d grant anyyone who prefers the comp.lock a Native featuring this lock.
I even once started a poll asking who´d be interested in the "Native family" (Lil Native, Native 5, Shaman, Chief) becoming the Spyderco line where each single model came in both comp. lock and backlock (like the Lil Native does already) - see HERE:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84760&p=1357114#p1357114

My thought process was, that the Native line is rather popular, offers modells in very different size ranges, and that there are very few people who really dislike BOTH the comp. lock AND the backlock.

(One problem here is, that the Shaman could most likely not be done with a backlock in the current overall lines, for the blade is to tall for that (would not fit in the handle together with lockbar / backspacer))
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

If you dig through Sal's posts, I'm pretty sure he's indicated that variants of handle colors, blade steels, and even blade grinds are a possibility with the Sage 5 FRN LW. I get the impression that even though the Sage series is about showcasing locks, the Sage 5 FRN LW may get spun off into its own model.
attila

Post by attila »

I have been wanting a new, no thumb-ramp, 3" compression lock or CBBL knife for a long time. Either of these locks would be a great alternative to the back lock.

I have and trust backlocks, but I do not like them. I want compression or, ideally, CBBL.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5