Help me choose a big folder: Shaman vs. Li'l Temperance 3 vs. Manix 2 Mid-backlock vs. ATR 2 vs. Caribbean

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which would you recommend? (Prices in Canadian dollars)

Poll ended at Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:15 pm

Shaman at C$199.00
53%
Li'l Temperance 3 at C$199.00
4%
ATR 2 at C$184.99
2%
Caribbean (Leaf-Shape PE) at C$179.99
6%
Caribbean (Leaf-Shape SE) at C$179.99
4%
Caribbean (Sheepsfoot PE) at C$179.99
4%
Caribbean (Sheepsfoot SE) at C$179.99
4%
Manix 2 Mid-backlock at C$149.99
24%

Total votes: 51

zuludelta

Help me choose a big folder: Shaman vs. Li'l Temperance 3 vs. Manix 2 Mid-backlock vs. ATR 2 vs. Caribbean

Post by zuludelta »

I generally prefer using a fixed-blade if I need a knife with more than 3" of blade length but my local knife retailer is holding a sale that runs until Boxing Day, so I figure this is a good time to try one of Spyderco's bigger folders. Of the options listed above, which one would you recommend for a warehouse work knife at the listed Canadian currency prices?

Also, please note that I place a premium on discreet carry (my manager is sort of skittish around knives)... now I know none of these knives disappear in the pocket, but I would prefer something that won't particularly call attention to itself or appear especially intimidating to a non-knife person.
SG89

Re: Help me choose a big folder: Shaman vs. Li'l Temperance 3 vs. Manix 2 Mid-backlock vs. ATR 2 vs. Caribbean

Post by SG89 »

Shaman
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Enactive

Re: Help me choose a big folder: Shaman vs. Li'l Temperance 3 vs. Manix 2 Mid-backlock vs. ATR 2 vs. Caribbean

Post by Enactive »

Of those, I would probably go with the Shaman or Manix 2 mid-backlock. The Caribbean is not gonna be discreet unless you dye the handle, though it is a cool knife. The Caribbean has the longest edge of the bunch.

The Shaman carries smaller than I thought it would, but it is heavier than the other choices. I like it enough to have two variants.

The Manix may have the least grippy scales of the bunch with its smooth G10.

Have you already handled all of these? Do you like 50/50 choils? If not, the lil Temp seems best (unless you prefer the Caribbean). It also has the thickest blade stock, which i don't love.

I don't particularly like the ATR.

I will be curious to hear what you choose.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Enactive wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:44 pm
Have you already handled all of these? Do you like 50/50 choils? If not, the lil Temp seems best (unless you prefer the Caribbean). It also has the thickest blade stock, which i don't love.

I've handled all of these except for the Manix 2 mid-backlock. I like choils fine, but I don't find them to be particularly essential in a work knife—my main warehouse work knives are the Native 5, Delica 4, Salt 2, Alcyone, and Tasman Salt 2 & my favourite non-work knives (the knives I EDC outside of work) are the Introvert, Yojimbo 2, and the Dragonfly 2 Salt Hawkbill.
I will be curious to hear what you choose.
I will be sure to update this thread with my purchase!
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Couple things

- I think the Lil temp is under 3".
- the A.T.R. probably looks scariest to the skittish with the speed holes and aggressive looking blade
- the Caribbean sheepsfoot is not discrete, but maybe is the least "scary" due to the lack of pointy tip and the yellow. Some people seem to find brightly colored knives less scary for some reason.

I also prefer a fixed blade for a big knife, but if I had to pick a folder as a substitute, I'd probably go manix backlock, but the shaman and Caribbean have contoured handles... Bah too many good choices. The shop is local, I'd go get the knives in hand and see what feels best.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Friendliest? Sheepsfoot Caribbean.

Comfiest for extended use? Shaman.

I voted Shaman based on the probability that you'd be using it a lot. Those contoured handles are great!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

If you really want a big folder, I think you'd be disappointed with the Lil Temp. Going by total length, it's an inch shorter than the Shaman and over an inch shorter than the Caribbean. It's a fairly compact, stout knife. I'd call it more of a mid size.

Fun fact, the edge length of the Lil Temp is the same as the Manix at 2.9 inches. The Manix is only larger because of the added finger choil. I thought that was interesting.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Of the knives on your list, I own the manix backlock and the shaman. Both very nice knives, but neither is what I'd call discreet - they're both large beefy knives, and well-suited to heavy use. I use them both as outdoor folders. As noted above, the manix has smoother, less grippy scales, but I think the backlock is easier to operate with gloves on than a comp lock. The Shaman is my favorite of the two, though, because of the excellent ergonomic handle that seems to magically fit any hand size.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I think the best warehouse work knife is a combination of a boxcutter paired with a good but not too expensive edc like a delica or an endura. I love most of the knives you listed but Im not sure I would want to risk losing them in a warehouse.

With that being said...
If you dont need a salt series I would skip the caribbean. It will need sharpening more often, is very noticeable, and even though others disagree I find less comfortable than the shaman.

I would go for the shaman or manix 2 backlock.
However, IF you can get a lil temperance 3 at a good discontinued price, since they are selling cheap right now, I would get that and pick up a shaman or whatever next year after your wallet recovers.

The only other issue is how much longer manix 2 backlocks will be available until you wont be able to get one anymore.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I loved the lil Temp 3 except the handle space was a little squeezed for my XL hands. If you have med-small hands and could get this cheap, this would be a great choice.

I loved the Shaman but it’s quite a lump. If you need a real heavy duty user and less worried about pocket mass, this would be an excellent choice, particularly if you’re not keen on fixed blades.

I chose the Manix BL. I nearly passed on it as I had both of the above at the time, but ultimately kept only the Manix.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I loved the lil Temp 3 except the handle space was a little squeezed for my XL hands. If you have med-small hands and could get this cheap, this would be a great choice.

I loved the Shaman but it’s quite a lump. If you need a real heavy duty user and less worried about pocket mass, this would be an excellent choice, particularly if you’re not keen on fixed blades.

I chose the Manix BL. I nearly passed on it as I had both of the above at the time, but ultimately kept only the Manix.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:18 am
I would go for the shaman or manix 2 backlock.
However, IF you can get a lil temperance 3 at a good discontinued price, since they are selling cheap right now, I would get that and pick up a shaman or whatever next year after your wallet recovers.

The only other issue is how much longer manix 2 backlocks will be available until you wont be able to get one anymore.
I try not to let FOMO influence my knife-buying decisions & just focus on the functional, aesthetic, and value aspects of the knives, but I have to admit, a major reason I am considering the Li'l Temperance 3 & Manix 2 Mid-backlock is the fact that they are discontinued models that will become increasingly harder to find as time passes.

But at the same time, it's a bit of a strange reason to want a "user" knife, because if I do lose it or break it, it will be difficult to replace, especially at the same price. I try not to fall into a collector mindset. Not that there's anything wrong with being a collector, but it's just not what I want my knife hobby to be. If a particular knife's rarity means I'll be especially anxious about using it (i.e., if it means skirting the edge of what Nick Shabazz calls the "Cost Carry Comfort Curve"), I'd rather just sell it or gift it to someone else.
Last edited by zuludelta on Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:20 am

I'd love it if I could use a proper fixed-blade knife at work, but alas, it is not an option. You raise a good point about pocket mass... I already carry a fair amount of stuff on my tool belt & in the pockets of my work pants and might be better served going with something that offers a relatively good cutting edge-to-overall size ratio like the Li'l Temp... the last thing I need is something with excessive bulk (or worse, exacerbating the plumber's crack epidemic at my workplace LOL). No joke, I go down a couple of pant sizes at the end of most work days because of water-weight loss & always have to tighten my belt two-thirds of the way through my shift (it's a high-paced warehouse & I do a lot of heavy lifting and pulling... it's not uncommon for me to come home weighing 5 or even 10 pounds lighter than when I left!)
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Ok, my local retailer just added a Manix 2 Combo Edge (CPM-S30V) to their Boxing Day sale list... for C$124.99 (basically the price of a Manix 2 Lightweight). That makes things even more complicated!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

That's a mess of options. Besides being on the larger side they don't have a lot in common. I'd go with the Caribbean sheepsfoot in SE, but another thing to consider is the Lil Temp 3 will only be around a short while longer so if you have any real interest there you may wanna put the others on hold. I wanted one but ultimately the Caribbean is essentially a larger version so I went that route.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

zuludelta wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:27 am
Ok, my local retailer just added a Manix 2 Combo Edge (CPM-S30V) to their Boxing Day sale list... for C$124.99 (basically the price of a Manix 2 Lightweight). That makes things even more complicated!
Really sounds like you're gonna have to pick two... ;) I've been wanting to get all my favorite models in SE or CE, including the Manix2, so this would definitely tempt me.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

I would suggest the lil temperance.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

The Shaman's handle was far too short(height) in the grip, I did not enjoy it.

The Caribbean is the end all, be all for larger folders in my book. The blade specs rival the Military, while being the size of a PM2 and the grip texture is fantastic! Oh, it's also as near to indestructible as a folder gets, I have abused mine to no end and it hasn't skipped a beat!

I have the Leaf PE. After seeing Evil D's modded Sheep SE, It's the next one on my list!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I voted Shaman but if you can handle the knives I would go with the best feel in hand.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

VG-10 FRN Stretch 2, either the regular "hunter" blade version or the Sprint Run straight spine version.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!