Sage 5.2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Re: Sage 5.2

Post by kodai78 »

sal wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:13 pm
You would prefer a Button Compression Lock on Sage? To an integral?

sal
My very favorite lock (kind of like picking a favorite child, very difficult) is the button comp lock on my Smock. I would love to see a Sage with either the button comp lock or a CBBL like the one on the Manix.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
Mtnblades

Post by Mtnblades »

I’m interested to see what an integral compression lock would feel/function like but I think a button would be a good next lock. To me the strength of the como lock is that it can be used one handed and keep the fingers clear of blade path. I’m trying to imagine how an integral would function without requiring you to wrap your fingers.

I’d be more interested in a sage 5 with upgraded steel. I get that the sage series is about locks. What I really want is a native 5 with a compression lock in maxamet, M390, cruwear, xhp-189, or lc200n.
timlara

Post by timlara »

FWIW, I'm with ugaarguy - a Sage with integral compression lock would be just about my ideal knife. (The only knife I carry more than the Sage is my UKPK.)

My original integral lock ATR is one of the knives I regret selling the most. It really was a cool lock.
Tim
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

sal wrote:

sal
Personally I'd prefer to move along with Sage 6 and try a altogether new (to me) lock. Or integral (If you mean like OG A.T.R. and Ti Salsa)
However i am one person with one opinion... :)
Happy holidays by the way to you and family!
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I've been voting for a button lock sage for years, but the smock lock would be even better, especially with these awesome bushing pivots.

However, I love the OP's idea if that is possible.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:51 am
Personally I'd prefer to move along with Sage 6 and try a altogether new (to me) lock. Or integral (If you mean like OG A.T.R. and Ti Salsa)
However i am one person with one opinion... :)
Happy holidays by the way to you and family!
Yes, I'm hoping for an integral comp lock like the first A.T.R. and Salsa, just in a Ti handled Sage form. Hence my Sage 5.2 model number suggestion :) . Also, having missed out on most of the previous Sages, I'd probably still buy one with some new lock when the Sage 6 and further versions come out.
Albatross wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:53 pm
I would prefer the button compression lock, with a titanium button(for the user to add cool anodized options), but an integral compression would be good too.
I might be interested in button comp lock on the Sage 5 FRN / LW model. Since a button comp lock has liners anyway, use FRN as the base scale and some low cost material for the button. Then let Flytanium and the other aftermarket companies supply premium scales and buttons for folks who want to mod or customize.
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:01 am
I have been dreaming of that Ti Integral Compression Caribbean idea you were kicking around. Any chance?

I would love to see contoured Ti with the same grip pattern the original has, milled into it. Everything else is perfect, the size, the steel l, the salt, EVERYTHING!
I'd be almost as happy with that as the Sage 5.2 concept I suggested. If Ti integral comp lock Caribbean has a better chance of going into production, and Sal has already been kicking that idea around, I'll happily support that model.
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:01 am
I prefer the compression to the button for simplicity's sake.
I'm glad you and at least a few others agree with me on that. :D
hovan2yourknives

Post by hovan2yourknives »

Button compression lock sounds great but I’d also love to eventually see you guys do an “axis” lock since the patent has expired.
djinnzfree

Post by djinnzfree »

It been released (lightweight version)? Did anybody from Canada have ones? Where you buy it?
jimmd

Post by jimmd »

sal wrote:

sal
Sal, an integral would be interesting, but I’d love to see a button lock. If the button compression lock can’t be worked out, it would be great to see a Sage 6 with a plunge lock, a traditional button lock.
Jim
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jmmd,

We've had a "plunge" button lock in-the-works on order for several years. We are reaching that point where out maker is very busy and priorities for models are scheduled and rescheduled often. We squeezed the FRN Compression Lock Sage into the Sage series more for users than collectors and for the makers ability to make more pieces. Once the tooling is complete on an FRN model, it requires less labor, thus less cost to make the model. There are a few locks in-the-works and now it's decisions that determine schedule.

sal
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

An integral comp lock would be great so long as the interfaces are steel.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
sal

Post by sal »

The latest prototype we made had a steel interface.

sal
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

sal wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:18 pm
The latest prototype we made had a steel interface.

sal
Wonderful to hear! :D
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I've been over the compression lock in my collection. Just kinda fell out for me the last 6 or 7 months. But, I do want to try the button compression lock. I love button locks and I think a button with the compression lock behind it instead of a plunge lock would solve some issues plunge locks may have. I wasn't into the Smock design so I passed but I love the Sage design and would purchase that. Especially if it wasn't peel ply cf or frn. But honestly I would buy it if it were peel ply. Might grumble but would do it.

I think doing a button compression lock with aluminum scales would be cool. Like an ode to the button lock autos that 9/10 times are aluminum handled.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
jimmd

Post by jimmd »

sal wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:39 pm
Hi Jmmd,

We've had a "plunge" button lock in-the-works on order for several years. We are reaching that point where out maker is very busy and priorities for models are scheduled and rescheduled often. We squeezed the FRN Compression Lock Sage into the Sage series more for users than collectors and for the makers ability to make more pieces. Once the tooling is complete on an FRN model, it requires less labor, thus less cost to make the model. There are a few locks in-the-works and now it's decisions that determine schedule.

sal
Thanks for the response, Sal! As you can see here, there's some enthusiasm for a button lock. The button-actuated compression lock seems a great mechanism, but I presume it would be difficult to fit into the Sage without substantially altering the grip or the blade profile. Looking forward to see what lock you choose next!
Jim
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

sal wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:47 pm
Hi Ugaarguy,

I'm not opposed to an integral Compression Lock. We've made a few prototype as well as a production piece. We also have a few locks that we've not yet built. Our Taichung guy is pretty busy these days, so everything takes longer to get into motion. I don't think we'll do much with Vanax at this time. It's very expensive, plus the extra taxes and it's seems to be difficult t get.

sal
Sal, just as an FYI, a fairly new, smaller company is marketing a 3" Vanax blade, Ti frame lock. Pricing is comparable to the last MSRP on the Sage 2. I've ordered one. I'll let you know if Vanax holds up to my hopes, based on the analyses I've read. I understand that availability of Vanax for Spyderco production volumes is probably going to be a challenge unless (hopefully just until) the knife market drives up demand enough that Uddeholm ramps up production of it. I'm still hopeful that one day a Sage Ti with an RIL or ICL (Integral Compression Lock) and Vanax blade can become a reality. In the meantime, I'm very happy with the Sage 5 LW that you had the Taichung guy squeeze in. Now I have a user to go with my Sage 2 that's become a bit collectible.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Yes, yes, yes! Less comp lock! More button lock!

I add that contorting my fingers and pinch gripping the scales to put my fat finger in the small slot of the comp lock is super insecure.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I would prefer integral. The button compression lock leaves the annoying dead spot on the blade. I had a smock but I felt like the handle was too far from the cutting edge. I know I can choke up but why not just make a choil then?
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

koenigsegg wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:08 am
I would prefer integral. The button compression lock leaves the annoying dead spot on the blade. I had a smock but I felt like the handle was too far from the cutting edge. I know I can choke up but why not just make a choil then?

But there IS an integral lock Sage already -?! (Sage 2)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I might as well chime in here. I would buy a button lock Sage for use, whether it was a button Compression lock or a plunger lock. Integral comp lock would only get my money as a collector piece and would likely never see the light of day, much like my Sage 2. I dislike having moving parts in direct contact with my hands, and I think it makes the knife look half-finished. Just my personal opinion, of course.

The only Smock I've looked at was a factory second Chris picked up at the last sale, but that iteration of the compression lock has a lot going for it. The "left-hand" Para2 is the only Comp lock knife I carry right-handed.