Sharpest Steel

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hobnob

Sharpest Steel

Post by Hobnob »

Out of curiosity which steel has the potential to be the sharpest? This may be hard to determine, but I thought I would ask for opinions/results.

To be fair let's take one model say a Para 2 with a 30 inclusive bevel with an acceptable heat treat for that steel. Trying to eliminate the variables do you think there are one or two that would come out on top?
TkoK83Spy

Re: Sharpest Steel

Post by TkoK83Spy »

SuperBlue and 52100
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Some steels are easier to sharpen and they will appear to get sharper. Some steels are capable of supporting lower edge angles and would appear to get sharper. Some steels have high carbide volume and may cut with some aggression and appear to get sharper.

The truth is that sharpness is the measurement of the width of the apex in microns. Under one micron and you are stupid sharp. All steels can achieve that.

The differences are so subtle that I am inclined to say that all steels basically have the potential to achieve the same level of sharpness.

I can get the stickiest edge on my Super Blue Delica. It has a low edge angle, some carbides and it is super easy to sharpen.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

This is a most interesting question. Because for years I've always attributed the apex sharpness more to the type of abrasive and sharpening method more than I did the actual alloy of the steel.

But on the other hand I did know in my gut that some of the really high end steels do seem to attain an edge with better bite and better penetration. That's one of the reasons I fell in love with M390>> because I've had such great luck with edge retention and endurance during hard use.

But I'm all ears and hope to learn from this thread. Oddly enough that's another reason I've always liked VG-10 and ATS-55 is because I've attained some pretty good working edges with those two steels.
geronm042

Post by geronm042 »

HAP40 and LC200n are the two in my hand I can get scary sharp / sticky / cutting flying hair easily.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:16 pm
Some steels are easier to sharpen and they will appear to get sharper. Some steels are capable of supporting lower edge angles and would appear to get sharper. Some steels have high carbide volume and may cut with some aggression and appear to get sharper.

The truth is that sharpness is the measurement of the width of the apex in microns. Under one micron and you are stupid sharp. All steels can achieve that.

The differences are so subtle that I am inclined to say that all steels basically have the potential to achieve the same level of sharpness.

I can get the stickiest edge on my Super Blue Delica. It has a low edge angle, some carbides and it is super easy to sharpen.
Absolutely. All steels can achieve the same level of sharpness, it's just a matter of abrasives, skill, and time. I've had S110V whittling hair, which is supposedly impossible, according to some older threads on BF.

The steels that seem to get sharper, are Hap40, M4, Rex45, Cruwear, Superblue, V-toku2, and 52100. I don't have experience with Cruwear, Superblue, or 52100, but the general consensus is that they are in the same category as the others I listed. V-toku2 is supposed to be similar to 52100, so I consider that close enough for my own personal interests.
Last edited by Albatross on Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Hobnob wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:55 pm
Out of curiosity which steel has the potential to be the sharpest? This may be hard to determine, but I thought I would ask for opinions/results.

To be fair let's take one model say a Para 2 with a 30 inclusive bevel with an acceptable heat treat for that steel. Trying to eliminate the variables do you think there are one or two that would come out on top?

NONE, they are all the same as sharpness has to do with the width of the apex and that is the same on all steels all the way down to the atomic level.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Ankerson wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:48 pm
Hobnob wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:55 pm

NONE, they are all the same as sharpness has to do with the width of the apex and that is the same on all steels all the way down to the atomic level.
This has been my experience as well.

I have steels that I find easier to get to the upper ends of sharpness, but I haven't come across a quality knife that couldn't take a great edge. Everything from S7 to ZDP189 has sharpened up nicely for me.

AEB-L, O1, 1095, VG10, Victorinox steel and BD1 are the steels I find easiest to get hair whittling sharp, for what its worth. But steels with higher carbide content like S110V, 204P and S90V can still get there.
:unicorn
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

These answers are all very good.

It is more about you (or me) than the steel. For me, I have the easiest time with 52100 and Cruwear -- but that is me, my skills, and my equipment. As my skills improve and I gain experience, I am surprising myself with other steels. Sharpening seems to be one of these things that is both challenging and satisfying. If it was trivial, there wouldn't be so much satisfaction as there is with challenging yourself.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

In terms of ‘perceived’ sharpness, AEB-L, Superblue, Cruwear, MBS-26 and 52100 all stand out in my experience.

Although as stated above, they’re all capable of achieving similar ‘sharpness’ with the right technique and abrasives.
Last edited by Cambertree on Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

aus8 gets that 😱 level. I can get there with everything but man... I still feel that good aus 8 takes that scary level of sharpness.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

prndltech wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:58 pm
aus8 gets that 😱 level. I can get there with everything but man... I still feel that good aus 8 takes that scary level of sharpness.
It's still one of my favorite steels, even with all the fancy super steels.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Albatross wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:07 pm
It's still one of my favorite steels.
Like it’s not just the ease of it... it’s something else man.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

prndltech wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:08 pm
Albatross wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:07 pm
prndltech wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:58 pm
It's still one of my favorite steels.
Like it’s not just the ease of it... it’s something else man.
For being a low-end steel, it still has quite balanced properties. Aus 8 wont steel the show, but it makes for a fairly worry-free blade.

I used Aus 8 exclusively for several years, and It's like an old friend I don't see often enough.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Albatross wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:35 pm
For being a low-end steel, it still has quite balanced properties. Aus 8 wont steel the show, but it makes for a fairly worry-free blade.

I used Aus 8 exclusively for several years, and It's like an old friend I don't see often enough.
Agreed. I’m sure it wouldn’t make much sense... but I’d love for spyderco to make a nice comfy folder in aus8.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
araneae

Post by araneae »

prndltech wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:43 pm
Albatross wrote:

Agreed. I’m sure it wouldn’t make much sense... but I’d love for spyderco to make a nice comfy folder in aus8.
Buy an old knife, Spyderco made lots of Aus 8 blades in the past. Aus 8 was nothing special IMO, pretty much the equivalent of 8Cr13 which makes a perfectly fine using steel, but it's surpassed by vg-10, s30v, etc.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

araneae wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:57 pm

Buy an old knife, Spyderco made lots of Aus 8 blades in the past. Aus 8 was nothing special IMO, pretty much the equivalent of 8Cr13 which makes a perfectly fine using steel, but it's surpassed by vg-10, s30v, etc.
I meant again... In a new production version
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

Albatross wrote:
steel the show
I see what you hecking did there
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

aaronkb wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:08 pm
Albatross wrote:
steel the show
I see what you hecking did there
:D
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

I can attest to vtoku2, I am able to get it extremely sharp. Aeb-l is another easy to get crazy sharp. I can get both very thin bte and they stay sharp.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9