SpyderEdge 2020 (A Personal "Challenge")

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PeaceInOurTime

Re: SpyderEdge 2020 (A Personal "Challenge")

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Jazz wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:45 pm
Nice, bro. Doesn’t it just feel like you want to be careful with it, but also cut the heck out of something? Let us know how you like it after use.

It does! Just begging to be unleashed. :)

Will do! It may be a while. I want to have time to use the factory edge and maybe sharpen a couple times before I report back and make a video. Although it is super sharp from the factory, I'd rather form my opinions off of my sharpened edge.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I was thinking about that...it looks wicked sharp!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:22 pm

At this point, if I was told that I could never again carry a PE pocket knife, i wouldn't complain. There are certain cutting scenarios where a PE is a better option (though not impossible with a SE), but those generally consist of hunting, fishing, wood carving, etc. However, my experience has demonstrated that a sharp SE can do just about anything, and normal everyday cutting tasks are accomplished exceptionally well.

I'm at about 2.5 years of SE exclusive carry with the exception of my Shaman and a Sliverax once in a while but my actual day to day work has all been SE. Like you said there are some outdoors situations that I would still prefer PE but since I'm not skinning a deer or building a shelter in the woods on a daily basis I haven't felt any need for PE beyond what small detailed stuff I can do with the little PE portion at the tip of the blade.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:42 pm
I'm at about 2.5 years of SE exclusive carry with the exception of my Shaman and a Sliverax once in a while but my actual day to day work has all been SE. Like you said there are some outdoors situations that I would still prefer PE but since I'm not skinning a deer or building a shelter in the woods on a daily basis I haven't felt any need for PE beyond what small detailed stuff I can do with the little PE portion at the tip of the blade.

This wharncliffe Endura actually has about half an inch of plain edge at the tip, which is more than I was expecting.
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

Allow me to dig up that SE challenge thread for a question : which SE blade would you recommend : the Endura 4 wharncliffe, the Native 5, any other blade ? I've read that some people preferred SE on an FFG blade over a sabre grind, what're your opinions ?
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ThomC wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:17 am
Allow me to dig up that SE challenge thread for a question : which SE blade would you recommend : the Endura 4 wharncliffe, the Native 5, any other blade ? I've read that some people preferred SE on an FFG blade over a sabre grind, what're your opinions ?

Absolutely prefer FFG/SE, it just slices better and seems to be on average thinner behind the edge so they seem to wedge less. The same qualities that make a plain edge blade slice well also apply to serrations, so the thinner the blade grind the better the slicer regardless of edge type.

Of the two you mentioned I've got my eye on the Endura wharnie, just because I think it's the most edge length you can get in a true wharncliffe (though the Caribbean Sheepsfoot isn't technically a wharnie, the blade is fairly straight and it has a bit more edge length). That said I can't recommend the Caribbean enough.
~David
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:31 am
Absolutely prefer FFG/SE, it just slices better and seems to be on average thinner behind the edge so they seem to wedge less. The same qualities that make a plain edge blade slice well also apply to serrations, so the thinner the blade grind the better the slicer regardless of edge type.

Of the two you mentioned I've got my eye on the Endura wharnie, just because I think it's the most edge length you can get in a true wharncliffe (though the Caribbean Sheepsfoot isn't technically a wharnie, the blade is fairly straight and it has a bit more edge length). That said I can't recommend the Caribbean enough.
Having had a PM2 for around 6 months, I tend to prefer blades around or over 4 inches for my everyday use, so the Endura is my choice for now. Will report back here once I receive it :)
Only problem is I don't have a Sharpmaker yet, so I'm not sure how I could sharpen it...
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

ThomC wrote:
I'll second Evil D's response in that FFG SE is the way to go. There are several models that offer it, including some wharncliffes which are currently my favorite.

I'm still extremely pleased with the SE wharncliffe Endura!

ThomC wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:31 am

Having had a PM2 for around 6 months, I tend to prefer blades around or over 4 inches for my everyday use, so the Endura is my choice for now. Will report back here once I receive it :)
Only problem is I don't have a Sharpmaker yet, so I'm not sure how I could sharpen it...
Sharpening SE free-hand is not difficult. It's actually quite easy. In my experience, you don't need the Sharpmaker to sharpen SE, but the method below could at least hold you over until you can get one. Most people on the forum love the Sharpmaker and everyone should experience one at some point.

https://youtu.be/ey0z0fvi5U8
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I’m curious, are you almost ready to make a video of the Endura wharnie yet? No pressure. ;) :D
- best wishes, Jazz.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I find it interesting that you pull back when sharpening the serrations, instead of standard method. I'm going to give that a shot when one of my SE's are ready and see what kind of results I get.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Jazz wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:13 am
I’m curious, are you almost ready to make a video of the Endura wharnie yet? No pressure. ;) :D

Haha sorry it's taking so long! I'm hoping to have time in about a month. I've been super busy working on a house, getting it ready to move into. Just yesterday, I was cutting old, nasty, glued down carpet. I used a utility knife, but the thought crossed my mind to use the Endura after I was finished... most of the cutting was at the tip anyway. I'll try to remember to save some carpet to cut for the video.

At this point, I'm wondering if a pocket knife can get any better than this wharny Endura! :)

TkoK83Spy wrote: I find it interesting that you pull back when sharpening the serrations, instead of standard method. I'm going to give that a shot when one of my SE's are ready and see what kind of results I get.

Not long ago, I noticed I did that in the video. I typically sharpen edge-leading AND edge-tailing, alternating strokes. I assume it was because I was working around the camera that caused me to change that detail. :confused:

Regardless, I still got a sharp edge! :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ThomC wrote:

Definitely SE in ffg for "regular" knife tasks! If I could, I'd want to have at least 80% of my knives in ffg SE these days...

My first recommendation is always the Endela SE, but since you want a longer blade and are fine with a wharnie blade shape, I think the wharnie Endura SE will at least as good.
A knife I never had myself, but could be a good and affordable entry into SE: Tenacious SE, especially the lightweight. Just 2mm less cutting edge than an Endura, even a bit thinner blade and I could imagine that 8CR13MoV does well in SE....
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
DukeBrnz

Post by DukeBrnz »

Mattysc42 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:18 am
I like SE, and I find them easy to sharpen after carrying serrations for the last couple months, but repairing an tooth that gets badly damaged is exponentially more difficult than repairing a plain edge. I’m going to have to send my SE Caribbean in because one of the teeth got folded over 180 degrees against the back of the blade, and I can’t fix it without completely flattening off the serrations. Similar levels of damage on a PE I could fix in an hour, tops.
I cannot believe this tale remains untold. You still owe us the story of how you accomplished this.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DukeBrnz wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:24 pm
Mattysc42 wrote:
I like SE, and I find them easy to sharpen after carrying serrations for the last couple months, but repairing an tooth that gets badly damaged is exponentially more difficult than repairing a plain edge. I’m going to have to send my SE Caribbean in because one of the teeth got folded over 180 degrees against the back of the blade, and I can’t fix it without completely flattening off the serrations. Similar levels of damage on a PE I could fix in an hour, tops.
I cannot believe this tale remains untold. You still owe us the story of how you accomplished this.

My gut tells me to call BS, but who knows. The things I've done to my Caribbean are borderline vulgar and I haven't managed to bend a tooth like that. I'd love to see the knife and hear more about how it happened.
~David
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Yeaaaa, I've seen David's thread freaking sawing into femur bone and didn't even get nearly that kind of damage. Pics or it didn't happen!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:15 pm
DukeBrnz wrote:
Mattysc42 wrote:

My gut tells me to call BS, but who knows. The things I've done to my Caribbean are borderline vulgar and I haven't managed to bend a tooth like that. I'd love to see the knife and hear more about how it happened.
Perhaps he was cutting bamboo.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=77645

I know this is H-1 but I can't imagine LC200N would have fared much better!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

DukeBrnz wrote:
Mattysc42 wrote:
From an earlier post in this thread:
Mattysc42 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:29 pm
While cutting through some hard plastic, the plastic snapped and the blade flew out of my hand into the corner of a metal support pillar where it meets the floor. The angle was apparently perfect. And I’m a firm believer in the toughness of LC200N after this happened.
I did manage to eventually get it close to being an edge again, but it’s double beveled and squared off. Nowhere close to the cutting performance it used to have. Here’s a pic of the current edge.

Last edited by Mattysc42 on Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
JMM

Post by JMM »

A few minutes ago I was checking out the ZDP stain issue/thread and I remembered a question that I have had rolling around in the back of my mind for a while now, and this seems like the ideal place to ask...

Has anyone in this thread owned/used the SE ZDP-189 Endura, I've been interested in finding one since I got my SE Shaman a month of so ago and it's such an amazing cutting tool... Anyhow the aforementioned Endura seem to be really hard to find, and on the secondary markets they seem to be going for $250-$300 dollars... :(
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Meat man wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:09 pm
Evil D wrote:
DukeBrnz wrote:
Mattysc42 wrote:

Ohhh I forgot all about that one. Now I've gotta find some fresh bamboo to cut on with my Caribbean :D

I'm not even sure what I'd do of they bent 90 degrees like that. I wouldn't be able to trust them after they bent that far, they would surely be weakened from it. That Autonomy would probably get sent off to Big Chris for a plain edge regrind.

Still, I must not have went as hard as that guy did on the bamboo when I was carving up the bone. Kinda hard to believe bamboo is any harder on an edge than a friggan cow femur.
~David
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:36 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:09 pm
Evil D wrote:
DukeBrnz wrote:

Ohhh I forgot all about that one. Now I've gotta find some fresh bamboo to cut on with my Caribbean :D

I'm not even sure what I'd do of they bent 90 degrees like that. I wouldn't be able to trust them after they bent that far, they would surely be weakened from it. That Autonomy would probably get sent off to Big Chris for a plain edge regrind.

Still, I must not have went as hard as that guy did on the bamboo when I was carving up the bone. Kinda hard to believe bamboo is any harder on an edge than a friggan cow femur.
I guess it all depends on the amount of lateral stress on the serrations. The guy said in the thread that he just went at it without trying to be careful. I could see twisting and prying in a cut causing that kind of damage whether it's bamboo or a solid bone.

I'd be interested in seeing you put that Caribbean through it's paces on bamboo. Further the cause of science. ;)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"