SpyderEdge 2020 (A Personal "Challenge")

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PeaceInOurTime

SpyderEdge 2020 (A Personal "Challenge")

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

It's time that I give serrated edges an honest, fair try. I have often carried a serrated blade to compliment my primary plain edge blade, but it has mainly been used for special cutting tasks. Attempting to carry a spyderedge as my dedicated primary blade has never lasted very long. I'm changing this in 2020.

This coming year, for one full year, I will carry a spyderedge blade as my primary knife. Currently, my only spyderedge knife is an orange handle Byrd Rescue 2, modified into a wharncliffe. I will most likely be replacing it with a spyderedge salt model sometime early 2020.

Additionally, I will generally be carrying a plain edge in the form of a SAK or multitool, however it will rarely be used.

After seeing so many proponents for the spyderedge this year, I reckon I should give it a real chance. It seems like these types of "challenges" pop up every now and then, so here's mine to start off 2020!

Also, I'm not limiting myself to any particular blade shape or length at this time -- the only limitation is for a spyderedge blade.

Here's the knife I'll be starting with (and I hope it's ok that it's not a "legitimate" :spyder: ):

Last edited by PeaceInOurTime on Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.
vivi

Re: SpyderEdge 2020 (A Personal "Challenge")

Post by vivi »

How skilled are you at sharpening SE? My enjoyment in using serrated spydies increased by magnitudes once I became proficient at the skill. Before that, I thought I didn't like serrations. Turns out I just don't like a dull knife :p
:unicorn
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:43 pm
How skilled are you at sharpening SE? My enjoyment in using serrated spydies increased by magnitudes once I became proficient at the skill. Before that, I thought I didn't like serrations. Turns out I just don't like a dull knife :p

Haha yeah, I can sharpen SE just fine. It is alot easier than some make it out to be. I think my biggest issue has been the way SE cuts. It is different for at least a couple factors including the individual curves & teeth and the chisel edge. Just different.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

As long as you keep your spyderedge at peak sharpness you are going to love it more and more. I am a HUGE fan of spyderedge and proud member of Spydernation :spyder: My top three favorites : Pac Salt, Salt2 and wharnie Delica in VG10. I really don't feel the need for a plain edge but I do carry a backup slipit, usually my beloved K390 Urban or a Vic Cadet.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
carrot

Post by carrot »

My Para 3 LW in SE is a daily carry for me now after the SE Tenacious proved just how well serrations work on a daily basis. I've been thinking about supplementing it with a SE Endela as well.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Peaceinourtime, not surprisingly I recommend getting an Endela SE. Since I got it, I literally never ran into a task where I would have preferred PE.

The shallow, "mild" Endela serrations in 3mm ffg feel rather like a "better cutting plain edge" to me.
This effect might very well be even more pronounced in the Wharnie Delica, but I don't have one and it would be to small as a general EDC for me anyway.

The Pac Salt SE is also great, but a lot more aggressive than the Endela (at least when new). In a way "better" for specific SE tasks, but not as smooth and "feeling pe-ish" in general tasks.

As said: Carrying the Endela SE, I never miss a PE blade, and would the regular SE Endura or the SE Pac Salt come in ffg and the Endela serration pattern, I'd probably never carry anything else.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I edcd an atlantic salt for a long time.

If you are not scraping, skinning, filleting, etc. And the extent of cutting is simply just turning one thing into two things, then there really shouldnt be any issues.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I do recommend a smaller SE knife as well.

You’ll be good to go!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

prndltech wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:58 pm

You’ll be good to go!
Why a smaller Spyderedged blade? I've been EDCing a Spyderco Stainless RESCUE ATS-55 model which has about a 4 inch blade and I find it extremely useful for a wide range of difficult cutting jobs. Just don't see where a shorter blade would be advantageous :confused: .

Just to let the OP know that you just can't go wrong with one of Spyderco's premium serrated blades. Their serrated fixed blades are awesome as well.

Also get a Spyderco 204 Sharpmaker and carefully watch the video on the correct sharpening methods. Like many of the guys have stated keeping Spyderedged (serrated) blades sharp is a big key to getting optimal use from a serrated edge.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:47 pm
prndltech wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:58 pm

You’ll be good to go!
Why a smaller Spyderedged blade? I've been EDCing a Spyderco Stainless RESCUE ATS-55 model which has about a 4 inch blade and I find it extremely useful for a wide range of difficult cutting jobs. Just don't see where a shorter blade would be advantageous :confused: .

Just to let the OP know that you just can't go wrong with one of Spyderco's premium serrated blades. Their serrated fixed blades are awesome as well.

Also get a Spyderco 204 Sharpmaker and carefully watch the video on the correct sharpening methods. Like many of the guys have stated keeping Spyderedged (serrated) blades sharp is a big key to getting optimal use from a serrated edge.
Oh, I’m aware. But if he’s limiting himself to SE blades, it’s nice to have options. While I love the SE pac salt and spyderhawk, there’s times where I like to carry the Tasman 2 and SE delica - which is a brute.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

@wartstein -- I knew you'd recommend the Endela SE ;) I'm not 100% decided, but I'm pretty sure my next purchase will be from the salt line.

@prndltech -- I've been very tempted by the dragonfly recently, especially the hawkbill!

@JD Spydo -- I used to own the current version of the Sharpmaker. I ended up selling it to a family member and making my own adjustable angle "jig", somewhat similar to the Sharpmaker. I did watch the video several times and learned alot!

@VooDooChild -- That's one thing that I've realized recently. Except for kitchen use, I really don't need my knife to be able to cut on a surface and usually make the cut while holding the item "in the air".
I've been a fan of wharncliffess for a while, but hawkbills are catching my attention.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

PeaceInOurTime,

I have the dragonfly hawkbill and the serrated Tasman 2. Love em... good stuff. Tough as nails.

I haven’t found much a hawkbill doesn’t do better for me. I don’t use my pocket knives on a cutting board or against a flat surface... while I like variety and have been carrying other knives when I want, I do honestly think I prefer a hawkbill for most things I use my pocket knife for.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I believe I just hit 2 years of EDC'ing nothing but SE. My mindset has done a 180, I used to feel like I was limited by carrying SE but now I feel like I'm under equipped when I only have PE. Sharpening was no doubt the changing point for me. The differences in how SE feels in use vs PE have been circumstantial for me, in most materials I feel that I gain more in cutting aggression than I lose in any other behavior and that's what I miss when I'm using PE.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Also... I’m pretty lazy when it comes to sharpening. My knives get dull to probably most of y’alls standards. But they’re still way sharper than most of the populations. That said... thats another reason I like my serrated blades. They cut even when they’re dull and eventually I’ll take em back to the sharpmaker.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
dan31

Post by dan31 »

I picked up a bunch of knives in 2019. I decided to buy the knives that I interested me but I passed in for one reason or another.

Current edc is manbug ZDP-189. I grab my Endela SE after work and the weekend. I do t know if I will carry any of the recent acquisitions anytime soon as the Endela SE has been just about perfect. I’m big on SE right now.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

2 of my favorites. I love them... but don’t care about them at the same time. I’ll lend them to somebody if they ask for a knife without thinking twice...

- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

prndltech wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:19 pm
PeaceInOurTime,

I have the dragonfly hawkbill and the serrated Tasman 2. Love em... good stuff. Tough as nails.

I haven’t found much a hawkbill doesn’t do better for me. I don’t use my pocket knives on a cutting board or against a flat surface... while I like variety and have been carrying other knives when I want, I do honestly think I prefer a hawkbill for most things I use my pocket knife for.

I really need to try a hawkbill soon. Even Bloke's recent posts with the hawkbill Ladybug have been calling to me :) . Honestly, as much as I like larger knives, I think my favorite design so far has been the Native 5. I gave mine to my wife after being dissatisfied with the comb edge and have missed the ergos ever since.

A Native with a wharncliffe or hawkbill could be really cool! However, blade shape options aren't common with the Golden made knives. The upcoming tanto PM2 is the only one that comes to mind.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:55 pm
However, blade shape options aren't common with the Golden made knives. The upcoming tanto PM2 is the only one that comes to mind.

Which is sort of strange since you would think they have the most control over this sort of thing since Golden knives are in-house models.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
prndltech wrote:
PeaceInOurTime,

I really need to try a hawkbill soon. Even Bloke's recent posts with the hawkbill Ladybug have been calling to me :) . Honestly, as much as I like larger knives, I think my favorite design so far has been the Native 5. I gave mine to my wife after being dissatisfied with the comb edge and have missed the ergos ever since.

A Native with a wharncliffe or hawkbill could be really cool! However, blade shape options aren't common with the Golden made knives. The upcoming tanto PM2 is the only one that comes to mind.
Wanna borrow a Tasman Salt?
:unicorn
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
prndltech wrote:
PeaceInOurTime,

The dragonfly, while not jimped, has a “forward choil” which I’m not sure is really it’s intended purpose on this version?
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006