SpyderEdge 2020 (A Personal "Challenge")

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sonorum

Re: SpyderEdge 2020 (A Personal "Challenge")

Post by Sonorum »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:55 pm
Sonorum wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:59 pm
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:53 pm
Evil D wrote: The chisel grind thing is a legit nuisance but it's one that I've accepted. A few years ago when I had a need for cutting a lot of boxes, it was more of an issue but these days I rarely have to cut up corrugated so it bothers me a lot less.
To be honest, I haven't really had an issue with the chisel grind and breaking down cardboard boxes. It's really just the odd occasions of other stiffer media like the plastic on that bucket.
I went and cut up a pile of cardboard and I have to say, compared to a PE knife I couldn't feel much of a difference in regards to chisel/no chisel. Not saying you're wrong, I just felt differently in this limited test.

The thicker and more rigid the board is, the worse the issue is. It's also somewhat manageable if you don't have to cut the board right at 90 degrees to the board, if you're able to angle the blade at 45 degrees it allows the board to separate easier and that seems to really reduce the steering feeling.
Okay yeah I see what you mean... One of the few thing SE doesn't excel at! :p
/ David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:19 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:57 pm

Thanks! :)

And sorry if someone else mentioned/ asked that already!
Can't find such a comment though since you posted the vid... ?
Anyway, never mind.
I'm so sorry if I sounded snarky in my reply! That wasn't my intent and I don't know why I brought it up in the first place.
No problem and you did not sound snarky at all! Furthermore, you are one of the friendliest and most courteous guys on this generally already very friendly and courteous forum anyway. :)

I was just wondering if I had missed a post or it did not show up for some reason.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Sonorum wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:13 pm

I use sharpmaker rods, medium, fine, ultrafine, freehand similar to how you do it. I finish with a strop that has bark river green and white compound on it.

As someone mentioned earlier, the bevels are so big so it is easy to find the angle.

So yeah, I don't use anything but sharpmaker tools :rolleyes:

Edit: I have a DMT rod, and I'll try that next time. I've always had good experiences with dmt diamond stones.
I sold my Sharpmaker about five years ago. I found I needed more flexibility and made my own angle-adjustable devise that can use almost any sharpening stone (seen in the background of my sharpening video). Though, I really like Spydero's triangle rods and I'm not letting go of my ultra fine rod!

I only have experience with one DMT product, a Diafold with coarse/extra-coarse, I bought six years ago and love it! It's wearing down since doing alot of edge damage repair on friends' knives, but I'll definitely be getting another one when it kicks the bucket. I also plan to get the DMT conical diamond Diafold.

Wartstein wrote:
No problem and you did not sound snarky at all! Furthermore, you are one of the friendliest and most courteous guys on this generally already very friendly and courteous forum anyway. :)

I was just wondering if I had missed a post or it did not show up for some reason.
Thanks Wartstein :)
I worry how my words are received via text and try not to offend anyone here -- I can be socially awkward.