SpyderEdge 2020 (A Personal "Challenge")

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: SpyderEdge 2020 (A Personal "Challenge")

Post by JD Spydo »

I've been constantly carrying one of the Spyderedged folders as a "Companion Blade" for whatever might be my main EDC folder at any given time. At one time I only carried a serrated Hawkbill as a Companion Blade but in the past 4 years or so I've started rotating quite a few different full SE models to fill that role. They all have their own advantages and disadvantages.

Sure I could go 100% with a full SE folder but I love the versatility that having one full PE and one full Spyderedge folder gives me.

I'm probably going to stay with my current regimen of one SE and one PE for the foreseeable future. Unless I see a set of distinct advantages by going SE only. One small SE folder I could get by with would be the older SE Dodo model. The versatility of the SE Dodo is great.
carrot

Post by carrot »

I've been carrying the SE Para 3 LW all week for 2020 and plenty of pocket time last year too. And using the K04 Kitchen Utility in SE. I've honestly often found myself preferring SE for nearly every task, except where I need to make perfect straight cuts, as the chisel grind can sometimes make it tough to control.

I don't feel the need to carry PE at all as an EDC, except for the fact that many of my favorite knives do not come with a SpyderEdge!
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:37 pm
Peaceinourtime, not surprisingly I recommend getting an Endela SE. Since I got it, I literally never ran into a task where I would have preferred PE.

The shallow, "mild" Endela serrations in 3mm ffg feel rather like a "better cutting plain edge" to me.
This effect might very well be even more pronounced in the Wharnie Delica, but I don't have one and it would be to small as a general EDC for me anyway. [...]

As said: Carrying the Endela SE, I never miss a PE blade, and would the regular SE Endura or the SE Pac Salt come in ffg and the Endela serration pattern, I'd probably never carry anything else.
Wartstein, you need to know that I have an Endela SE on the way and it's all your fault.

I love the size of the Endela and Stretch because I always felt the Endura was a hair too big for precision tip work (the Cara Cara 2 is excellent too, being slightly shorter and choiled), and with your comments I decided I needed to have one in SE as well.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

carrot wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:51 pm

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:37 pm
Peaceinourtime, not surprisingly I recommend getting an Endela SE. Since I got it, I literally never ran into a task where I would have preferred PE.

The shallow, "mild" Endela serrations in 3mm ffg feel rather like a "better cutting plain edge" to me.
This effect might very well be even more pronounced in the Wharnie Delica, but I don't have one and it would be to small as a general EDC for me anyway. [...]

As said: Carrying the Endela SE, I never miss a PE blade, and would the regular SE Endura or the SE Pac Salt come in ffg and the Endela serration pattern, I'd probably never carry anything else.
Wartstein, you need to know that I have an Endela SE on the way and it's all your fault.

I love the size of the Endela and Stretch because I always felt the Endura was a hair too big for precision tip work (the Cara Cara 2 is excellent too, being slightly shorter and choiled), and with your comments I decided I needed to have one in SE as well.

I am 100 % NOT afraid that you'll regret having listened to my recommendation! :D

Please report back how you like its performance!
Concerning pure cutting ability the Endela SE is hands down my favorite folder these days.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

While cutting through some hard plastic, the plastic snapped and the blade flew out of my hand into the corner of a metal support pillar where it meets the floor. The angle was apparently perfect. And I’m a firm believer in the toughness of LC200N after this happened.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

That really is amazing! Everytime I drop one of my open knives it nearly takes my breath away, not knowing how much damage has occurred.

Now I'm curious. I've heard that someone tested an H1 blade by bending it to 90° without breaking and I'd like to see that test done with LC200N.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

https://youtu.be/zRS8dT6U2DU
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:44 am
https://youtu.be/zRS8dT6U2DU
I like your videos PIOT. Cutting food on a cutting board with a hawkbill? Who'd have thought it possible? ;)
Shows how truly versatile the HB blade shape really is.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:11 am

I like your videos PIOT. Cutting food on a cutting board with a hawkbill? Who'd have thought it possible? ;)
Shows how truly versatile the HB blade shape really is.

Thanks! Yes, I'm finding the hawkbill quite versatile! And so far, I'm not missing a PE.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I wonder if the Tasman 2 blade/lock bar would go into a Ti meadowlark frame?
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

prndltech wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:43 am
I wonder if the Tasman 2 blade/lock bar would go into a Ti meadowlark frame?

I've wondered the same. My first assumption is that it wouldn't work, as the holes for the lock bar and pivot are likely not in matching locations. I hope I'm wrong, though! If you try it, be sure to post some pics :)
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

I have inadvertently spyderedge challenged my self since getting an Endela SE a couple of weeks ago. I have to say, I have been trying to rotate my knives but I keep putting the fully SE knife back in my pocket. Cutting with a sharp, full flat, SE is so effortless its ridiculous. The only thing that annoys me is cutting vegetables because of the asymmetrical geometry that you have to account for. Other than that it does everything as good as a plain edge and some thing way way better. So obviously now I'm lusting for a leaf shaped Caribbean SE since I'm imagining that that is top of the line SE knife to be had. When I have some time I have to put a course and stropped edge on my GB2 and see if that makes it stay in my pocket. Crap.

Edit: VG10 is such a nice steel, as soon as it isn't super sharp, just strop it it and it's back.
/ David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sonorum wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:58 am
I have inadvertently spyderedge challenged my self since getting an Endela SE a couple of weeks ago. I have to say, I have been trying to rotate my knives but I keep putting the fully SE knife back in my pocket. Cutting with a sharp, full flat, SE is so effortless its ridiculous. The only thing that annoys me is cutting vegetables because of the asymmetrical geometry that you have to account for. Other than that it does everything as good as a plain edge and some thing way way better. So obviously now I'm lusting for a leaf shaped Caribbean SE since I'm imagining that that is top of the line SE knife to be had. When I have some time I have to put a course and stropped edge on my GB2 and see if that makes it stay in my pocket. Crap.

Edit: VG10 is such a nice steel, as soon as it isn't super sharp, just strop it it and it's back.

For my uses it is very hard to beat FFG/SE especially if the blade is ground thin like these new models are. They cut so aggressively it's hard for me to switch back to PE.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Sonorum wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:58 am

Glad to hear your thoughts! So far, I've only really had experience with saber ground SE blades. Now I'm wondering if I should try a flat ground SE and see how much difference there actually is. It may still be too early to say, but I think I'm a SpyderEdge convert -- only being a month into the challenge, I haven't once felt the need for a PE and have really enjoyed the performance of SE :)

SE behaves a little differently from PE -- it acts as if it actually wants to cut something.

I've been considering sending my HAP40 Endura off to have serrations ground in. I think my Endura has enough space under the lamination line if ground on the presentation side:

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

There have been a few instances in the past 3 years that I've only taken a Spyderedged blade with me. But most of the time I like the best of both worlds. But I always carry a full SE blade along with my current main carry which is an M390 Military model. Those two have served me extremely well in the recent past.

This thread might just make a case for another double bladed Spyderco like the C-44 Dyad model which has one PE and one full SE blade. The more I learn the different ways of sharpening Spyderedges the more I do give thought to maybe going SE only.

Spyderco's serrated blades are truly the best on the entire market. And I do agree that keeping them sharp is a big key to success.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

A new double bladed folder/Dyad would make alot of people happy. I'd be tempted to get one, but honestly, at this point, I'm happy with just SE. I also generally carry a multitool with a PE blade if I ever happen to need it.

My ideal double bladed folder would include of a SE wharncliffe blade and PE SpydieChef-ish shape and angled blade. The PE would likely only be used for food use.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I'd like a large Dyad, but in FRN. Not a fan of heavy knives.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Jazz wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:58 am
I'd like a large Dyad, but in FRN. Not a fan of heavy knives.

Dyad LW Salt, full linerless FRN handle :eek:

Probably be the most expensive FRN mold ever made though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:14 am
Dyad LW Salt, full linerless FRN handle :eek:

Sounds cool, too. :cool:
- best wishes, Jazz.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Now with a Hawkbill blade the only thing that makes any sense at all is a serrated/Spyderedged Hawkbill. There are so many more cutting jobs you can do with a serrated Hawkbill than you can do with a plain edged Hawkbill. I can't even remember the last time I even used one of my PE Hawkbill blades.

I think that all of the blades with curve in them should be available in SE. Why Spyderco doesn't do recurves in SE has baffled me for some time. Because just look at how much better the Matriarch and Civilian models are in SE. It's not even close with all things considered.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:39 am
Now with a Hawkbill blade the only thing that makes any sense at all is a serrated/Spyderedged Hawkbill. There are so many more cutting jobs you can do with a serrated Hawkbill than you can do with a plain edged Hawkbill. I can't even remember the last time I even used one of my PE Hawkbill blades.

I think that all of the blades with curve in them should be available in SE. Why Spyderco doesn't do recurves in SE has baffled me for some time. Because just look at how much better the Matriarch and Civilian models are in SE. It's not even close with all things considered.
I see what you're saying about hawkbills and SE, but I wouldn't mind seeing a PE hawkbill in some modern high carbide steel like K390 or CPM REX 45.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"