Let's Explore Curved Blades In Spyderedge

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Let's Explore Curved Blades In Spyderedge

Post by JD Spydo »

Many years ago I started to notice that Spyderco's curved blades in full Spyderedge most definitely had advantages. It first started when I got serious about using Spyderco's Hawkbill blades. I immediately discovered that you could do a lot more with an SE version of the Harpy than you could with the PE version.

Also my good Brother Evil D pointed out that a recurve model like the ULIZE would be a completely different animal with a set of teeth. I totally agree with him on that point and I've just been dying to try one out since then. And why Spyderco doesn't offer more of their great Spyderedged models in Recurves, Hawkbills and Reverse S type blades truly baffles me :confused: .

I know I'm not alone thinking along those lines and we have discussed this to a limited degree in the past. On another thread the older recurve KRIS model came up. And for years I've wondered what kind of cutting tool that would be in SE? And as sought after as that model is by the collector community I would think that a SE version of the KRIS and ULIZE both in Spyderedge would be awesome Sprint Runs if nothing else.

I know that there are more of you thinking along the same as I am with CURVED BLADES with TEETH. So let's talk about it
Wartstein

Re: Let's Explore Curved Blades In Spyderedge

Post by Wartstein »

JD, just to get you right: I assume, you´re referring to hawkbill- or recurve style blades, and not to the curve a regular belly gives most Spyderco knives anyway?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:18 am
JD, just to get you right: I assume, you´re referring to hawkbill- or recurve style blades, and not to the curve a regular belly gives most Spyderco knives anyway?
Well "Wartstein" I'm glad you brought that up. Because there are a couple of examples of Spyderedged blades with curve that are what we might deem to be a standard design folder. Take the C-60 Ayoob model for instance. It's got a really nice belly/curve to it>> and the Ayoob model is an awesome cutter in SE & PE both. Also there was a time when I was kind of fanatical about the CHINOOK III model. It also had a curve similar to what the Ayoob model has ( SE version) and I for a long time wanted to see how well it would do in full SE.

It seems as though just about any serrated knife with curve gives it a built in advantage as far as cutting performance goes. I hope that at least kind of answers your question.

So I guess it's fair to say that a serrated blade with any curve in it's design can be an advantage in cutting performance. But it is more pronounces in Hawkbills, Recurves and Reverse S blades but not confined to those blade styles or designs.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I find that serrated blades with a slight concave (inward) curve tend to have a little more edge stability than those with a convex (outward) curve. I’ve long wondered if that inward curve reinforces edge stability to a certain degree. Of course, I could be wrong, as mine isn’t a scientific observation.

Jim
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:11 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:18 am
Well "Wartstein" I'm glad you brought that up. Because there are a couple of examples of Spyderedged blades with curve that are what we might deem to be a standard design folder. Take the C-60 Ayoob model for instance. It's got a really nice belly/curve to it>> and the Ayoob model is an awesome cutter in SE & PE both. Also there was a time when I was kind of fanatical about the CHINOOK III model. It also had a curve similar to what the Ayoob model has ( SE version) and I for a long time wanted to see how well it would do in full SE.

It seems as though just about any serrated knife with curve gives it a built in advantage as far as cutting performance goes. I hope that at least kind of answers your question.
Thanks for your reply! So the rather small belly of lets say the Endela SE would already make it a "curved serrated blade" or not concerning the topic of this particular thread?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

I have a Byrd hawkbill and just bought a ladybug h1 hawkbill....I like them
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Curved blades with teeth... non curved blades with teeth... I like teeth... I don’t discriminate
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

It's true they have advantages in some situations but they also have disadvantages in others. I have some but never carry one as an only knife and will carry it as a second knife if I expect to cut a lot of rope, twine, vines, etc.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

I like my blades straight or with a slight belly. The curved blades just look like weapons or from another country.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

New Pacific Salt could also come as a hawkbill....that could be interesting. Or a big Salt reverse S blade.... yeah, that's sounds better then hawkbill.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Pancake wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:22 pm
New Pacific Salt could also come as a hawkbill....that could be interesting. Or a big Salt reverse S blade.... yeah, that's sounds better then hawkbill.
I would be all over a Pacbill Salt for yardwork, gardening, etc. It'd depend on the ultimate size of the reverse S for me - much bigger than a lil' matriarch and I think they start to look more intimidating and less like tools (even though they might, in fact, be awesome tools).
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:35 pm
Pancake wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:22 pm
I would be all over a Pacbill Salt for yardwork, gardening, etc. It'd depend on the ultimate size of the reverse S for me - much bigger than a lil' matriarch and I think they start to look more intimidating and less like tools (even though they might, in fact, be awesome tools).
One thin that I don't understand is why Salt 2 has standard, wharncliffe and hawkbill blade and Pacific salt has only standard.....kinda weird.
Let's hope that new Pac Salt will come also as wharncliffe and hawkbill blade ( or even reverse S as a sprint?).
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
James Y

Post by James Y »

I never carry a hawkbill knife as my only knife. As good as they are for cutting certain things, they’re not as versatile for me for certain other things. Definitely a specialized shape.

Many people consider hawkbill blades to look mostly weapon-like, but they are not anything unusual in this country. Linoleum knives are also hooked, though not serrated.

For my uses, a serrated hawkbill is far superior to a plain edge hawkbill. The serrations have more grab and bite.

Jim
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I feel like we've had this same topic just recently?

I was going to say something about the shape of a recurve being the issue with grinding serrations into them, but a reverse S is basically just a backwards recurve so it should be possible. I've said it before I'll pay up front for a SE Ulize, literally right now I'll put money down on one.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Funny this thread should pop up today. My wife threw me a curveball and totally suprirsed me with this beast last night as an early Christmas present. She couldn't wait until Christmas to give it to me. I have to say, it's pretty cool...and very intimidating haha!
Resized_20191218_194054.jpeg
Resized_20191218_194747.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:08 am
Funny this thread should pop up today. My wife threw me a curveball and totally suprirsed me with this beast last night as an early Christmas present. She couldn't wait until Christmas to give it to me. I have to say, it's pretty cool...and very intimidating haha!
Nice orange peeler :p
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:16 am
I feel like we've had this same topic just recently?
Because like on second page there is a thread about Lil´Matriach as a SALT :D
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I'd like a cross between a hawkbill and wharnie. Basically a wharnie with the slightest bit of curve. I have a small birds beak kitchen knife that I use all the time and it is a great blade shape. That one is PE, but I can see SE being just as useful. So take the Wharnie Delica, add a very slight curve, and offer it in PE and SE Cruwear. :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:21 am
I'd like a cross between a hawkbill and wharnie. Basically a wharnie with the slightest bit of curve. I have a small birds beak kitchen knife that I use all the time and it is a great blade shape. That one is PE, but I can see SE being just as useful. So take the Wharnie Delica, add a very slight curve, and offer it in PE and SE Cruwear. :D

That is basically a Superhawk if they bring it back in SE.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:28 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:21 am

That is basically a Superhawk if they bring it back in SE.

Yes, good call out. Basically a Superhawk blade shape in a Delica in both PE and SE.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red