Who´d like to see a return of the Vagabond in an upgraded steel?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Who´d like to see a return of the Vagabond in an upgraded steel?

Post by Wartstein »

I never actually owned a vagabound, but always found it an interesting and usefull design.

(For those not familiar with this model - see attached pic at the end of the post: Small fixed blade that eliminates the need for an actual sheath, but has just a plastic cover that´s permanently attached to the handle, and can pivot out to cover the edge when transporting the knife, or pivot in to the underside of the handle when using it https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... roduct=161)

When I bring a small fixed blade when mountaineering, I much more often throw it in my pack rather than carry it on my belt or even neck knife style.

One inconvinience whith fixed blades not carried on the belt is, that as soon as you use the knife, you have an empty sheath to "deal with". So either you hold it in the off hand or have to put it to put it down somewhere.

That´s also true when carrying a small fixed blade (not in a clipped sheath) in your pocket: You have to draw the knife, remove it from the sheath, and put the sheath back in the pocket again before using the knife.

The Vagabond makes all of this unneccessary and using the knife a lot more convinient.

So I´d really like to see a comeback of this rather ingenious design, but in an upgraded steel (for the discontinued model was "just" in AUS-6, so not even AUS-8...)

Who else?! :)

Last edited by Wartstein on Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mushroom

Re: Who´d like to see a return of the Vagabond in an upgraded steel?

Post by Mushroom »

I believe this has been mentioned in the past. If I recall correctly, the tooling for this model was updated to create the current Aqua Salts.
-Nick :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:12 am
I believe this has been mentioned in the past. If I recall correctly, the tooling for this model was updated to create the current Aqua Salts.
Then I must have missed it or was not on this forum already at the time.... :o

And right, the handles look very similar (while the Aqua Salt has a longer blade of course).
But the for me defining feature of the Vagabond, the unique "sheath"-design (or rather"NO-sheath" design?) is gone of course... and that´s what I´d be particulary interested in
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

It was ingenious, but in use the sheath is kinda flimsy in the way I wouldn't just throw it in a pack or pocket
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:19 am
Mushroom wrote:

And right, the handles look very similar (while the Aqua Salt has a longer blade of course).
But the for me defining feature of the Vagabond, the unique "sheath"-design (or rather"NO-sheath" design?) is gone of course... and that´s what I´d be particulary interested in
It's unlikely to happen since it'd require brand new tooling.

I saw some go as cheap as $40 recently. They're not valued as collector items so you could find one for a reasonable price on the used market.

https://www.arizonacustomknives.com/cat ... q=vagabond
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

GarageBoy wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:37 am
It was ingenious, but in use the sheath is kinda flimsy in the way I wouldn't just throw it in a pack or pocket
As said, I never actually had a Vagabond, so I can´t talk from experience... do you think that could be fixed / improved?
That´s what the description says: "A plastic cover pivots out/upward, snapping-over and safely covering the cutting edge eliminating the need for a bulky carrying sheath."
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:40 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

I saw some go as cheap as $40 recently. They're not valued as collector items so you could find one for a reasonable price on the used market.

Thanks, Vivi! :)

But tbh: Though I have no experience with AUS-6, I guess I´d rather pay more and have a "better" steel...
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:44 am
Vivi wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

Thanks, Vivi! :)

But tbh: Though I have no experience with AUS-6, I guess I´d rather pay more and have a "better" steel...
You could always buy an Aqua Salt ;) Maybe take the g-clip off and attach a lanyard to the sheath and handle? Or keep the clip on and clip the sheath to a pocket while you use the knife, then return it to your pack when done?
:unicorn
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:41 am
GarageBoy wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:37 am
As said, I never actually had a Vagabond, so I can´t talk from experience... do you think that could be fixed / improved?
That´s what the description says: "A plastic cover pivots out/upward, snapping-over and safely covering the cutting edge eliminating the need for a bulky carrying sheath."
Maybe a locking or retention device
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Arizona custom knives had a batch not long ago. They lingered forever.. I was a bit tempted but with overseas shipping + customs + sales tax it quickly becomes a expensive cheap conversation piece..
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

This looks like a good fit for LC200N. It would also be an interesting knife to test Vanax, but I'm not sure if Spyderco would want to take that risk. LC200N is on their regular stock list, so that might be easier to do.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I also saw them at ACK, but held off due to the steel. Would love to see a sprint in LC200n :D
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Vivi wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

Yeah I was told at least 4 years ago that the tooling no longer exists for the VAGABOND model. It was kind of a dud at the box office from what I was told. It was kind of doomed to failure only being available in that AUS-6 blade steel. That was only about one out of 3 Spyderco models I think that was made with that steel. Now if they would have done it in AUS-8 and made it available in SE & PE both I think it might have had a better ending.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:00 am
Vivi wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

Yeah I was told at least 4 years ago that the tooling no longer exists for the VAGABOND model. It was kind of a dud at the box office from what I was told. It was kind of doomed to failure only being available in that AUS-6 blade steel. That was only about one out of 3 Spyderco models I think that was made with that steel. Now if they would have done it in AUS-8 and made it available in SE & PE both I think it might have had a better ending.

So why not pick up the design, make another model along its lines in a higher end steel and give it another try?

I still think there´d be a market for it. As said, having a small fixed blade, but no "spare" sheath that has to be clipped to somewhere ot to be put down while using the blade is great thing sometimes. At least I´d have a use for it!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

It would have to be an entirely new design, as the tooling is gone. That is a pretty big gamble for a concept that already failed once. I remember handling a Vagabond long ago, and trust me, it wasn't the blade steel that made me hand it back to the guy behind the counter.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Like the wankel engine or a supermodel wife. I love the idea of it, but in the real world its probably not as good as other options out there.

It would be cool to see a different version that worked really well, but Im not holding my breath.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I'm curious what advantage this thing would have over a folding knife. That cover has a slot in it where it covers the blade, and the handle has a well for the cover to fold into. Both are just as good at catching mud, blood and crud as the handle of a folder, and are just as hard to clean out, probably harder to clean than an open-back folder. It has a five inch handle and a three inch blade, just like people complained about on the original Paramilitary. It didn't sell at the AUS6 price point, wow would making it more expensive help?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

yablanowitz wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:02 pm
I'm curious what advantage this thing would have over a folding knife. That cover has a slot in it where it covers the blade, and the handle has a well for the cover to fold into. Both are just as good at catching mud, blood and crud as the handle of a folder, and are just as hard to clean out, probably harder to clean than an open-back folder. It has a five inch handle and a three inch blade, just like people complained about on the original Paramilitary. It didn't sell at the AUS6 price point, wow would making it more expensive help?
Good points!

Certainly it would be rather a niche product and also certainly I´d like it to have it a shorter handle or alternatively a longer blade.

But it´d still have the advantages that a fixed blade generally offers: No pivot that can potentially fail, so for example some batoning (without having to unlock a lock, like on a folder) would be quite convinient.

And cleaning out would be not that much of an issue,for there is no pivot or "action" that could be inmpaired by dirt...
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Except for the pivot of the blade cover. And with such a design, you will always need a handle longer than the blade, so you can cross that part off your wish list. I really didn't think about batonning as it isn't something I do.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I lost mine somewhere about 5 years ago. :( It had gone on some hiking trips and served the purpose, but I think it got left in the yard somewhere. It had room for refinement, but wasn't bad overall.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal