VG10 and SG2 Experiments and History

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Larrin

VG10 and SG2 Experiments and History

Post by Larrin »

I was able to get some VG10 and SG2 steel which I was excited about because the steels are used in many Japan-produced knives but it is tough to get here. A lot of knife enthusiasts are curious about the properties. Spyderco of course has made many knives from VG10 and a lesser number in SG2. I did corrosion resistance and toughness experiments on both steels. And I tracked down some history on the development of each steel. I also have an experimental edge retention value for VG10 and calculated edge retention of SG2. https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/12/16/ ... d-history/
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
jasonstone20

Re: VG10 and SG2 Experiments and History

Post by jasonstone20 »

Nice Larrin! You just made me a very happy man!
"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)"
--Shawn Houston

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"Life is GOOD!"
--Stefan Wolf, May his memory be a blessing

--Ken Schwartz, May his memory be a blessing

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I have been wanting to hear the details of SG2.
Thanks, great read!

I want to see it, unclad, on a Caly 3.5 or a Baby Horn.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Thanks for another great article Larrin, I enjoyed it very much.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:45 am
I have been wanting to hear the details of SG2.
Thanks, great read!

I want to see it, unclad, on a Caly 3.5 or a Baby Horn.
Speaking of,

What was the reason they clad the EnDelica one?
Lower price? More knives, with less SG2?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Great elaboration Larrin!
I've ben comparing a VG10 Stretch and a SG2 Endura for edc and find your results in line with my anecdotal experience. The SG2 seems about like s30v but a bit easier to get sticky sharp. Nice to know about the relative toughness.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Thank you for this latest article Larrin. VG-10 seems to be out of fashion in these days of powdered metallurgy & "super steels" but as your analysis shows, it's still a very capable & reasonably well-balanced steel option for folding knives.

But while I probably own more folding knives in VG-10 (all Spydercos) than any other steel, I wouldn't really mind if it is eventually supplanted by CTS-BD1N in Spyderco's Dragonfly/Delica/Endura family of knives, though the odds of that happening are probably very remote barring a change in manufacturing location from Japan to Taiwan or the US.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Oh baby, another great article from Larrin!
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Pancake wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:42 am
Oh baby, another great article from Larrin!
I'm glad you guys are excited. :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

zuludelta wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:38 am
Thank you for this latest article Larrin. VG-10 seems to be out of fashion in these days of powdered metallurgy & "super steels" but as your analysis shows, it's still a very capable & reasonably well-balanced steel option for folding knives.
I couldn't have said it any better ;) and this is coming from a guy who has some Supersteel folders and wants more of them. But on the other hand VG-10 is a very versatile hard use steel. The more I use some of my Spyderco VG-10 blades in the kitchen the more I believe it's still a great steel for culinary uses and for the food industry in general. Oh sure you could spend a lot more but there's no need to. And VG-10 can take on a really wicked, super sharp edge which is ideal for most food use.

I"ve never yet used SG2 and I plan on checking it out. But I'm not going to dump any of my VG-10 Spyders in the near future.
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Thanks for the excellent articles Larrin. I always appreciate the in depth, yet accessible nature of your writing. Really makes me want to try out SG2 but I'm going to have to hold out for a Wharncliffe version.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Congrats Larrin on getting an "honourable mention" in the knife portion of Nick Shabazz's Gear of the Year video for 2019... I think you might be the first non-knife thing to make it to the list!
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm surprised at how low VG10 ranks for toughness on your graphs. In use its always performed very well for me in that respect.
:unicorn
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:44 am
I'm surprised at how low VG10 ranks for toughness on your graphs. In use its always performed very well for me in that respect.
I think it is not a surprise given its carbide structure. Though it compares favorably with most of the PM stainless steels. Most steels in a folder given light cutting tasks with 20 dps is going to be just fine.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Larrin wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:52 am
Vivi wrote:
I think it is not a surprise given its carbide structure. Though it compares favorably with most of the PM stainless steels. Most steels in a folder given light cutting tasks with 20 dps is going to be just fine.
I use my folders rougher than the average bear, and use 10dps bevels :p
:unicorn
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Another excellent article Larrin. Thanks.

Regarding the dating, Takefu Special Steel had their 60th anniversary in 2014. I guess the ‘60 years old’ date would go back to the founding of the company.

I was lucky to be a guest at the celebrations in Gifu prefecture. The event also marked the third generation of the Kono family taking over the management of the firm.

It’d be interesting to see some similar research and micrographs of Hitachi’s ZDP-189, which I think continues to hold its own very well, even in the current crop of PM stainlesses.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:46 pm
Larrin wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:52 am
Vivi wrote:
I use my folders rougher than the average bear, and use 10dps bevels :p
I'm the same way in my daily uses which is why I make it a point to always have a full SE companion folder to go with my main EDC. Because serrated blades just take on tough, rugged and demanding cutting jobs much better than PE blades do. But there are jobs where PE blades just simply work better.

And VG-10 is a great steel for Spyderedges. And again VG-10 is one of the few steels I've had equal success using in PE & SE both.
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Cambertree wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:33 am
Another excellent article Larrin. Thanks.

Regarding the dating, Takefu Special Steel had their 60th anniversary in 2014. I guess the ‘60 years old’ date would go back to the founding of the company.

I was lucky to be a guest at the celebrations in Gifu prefecture. The event also marked the third generation of the Kono family taking over the management of the firm.

It’d be interesting to see some similar research and micrographs of Hitachi’s ZDP-189, which I think continues to hold its own very well, even in the current crop of PM stainlesses.
The ZDP-189 article has already been written. I don’t think it is being released for a week or so though.
sal

Post by sal »

Good stuff. Thanx Larrin.

FYI, It was my understanding that VG-10 was developed for grafting plants in Japan.

It is also my understanding that the President of Takefu feels that the addition of Cobalt in the chemistry will improve most of the properties of the other chemicals. We started using VG-10 in our Moran Fixed blade in 1998 after some initial testing. We've been very pleased with the material.

sal
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

sal wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:15 pm
Good stuff. Thanx Larrin.

FYI, It was my understanding that VG-10 was developed for grafting plants in Japan.

It is also my understanding that the President of Takefu feels that the addition of Cobalt in the chemistry will improve most of the properties of the other chemicals. We started using VG-10 in our Moran Fixed blade in 1998 after some initial testing. We've been very pleased with the material.

sal
Thanks Sal. I already went on a journey to figure out what those cobalt statements mean: https://knifesteelnerds.com/2018/05/14/ ... -in-vg-10/

But fortunately after measuring the properties of the steel we can see how it performs rather than guessing what cobalt does.