Trademark round hole

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Albatross

Trademark round hole

Post by Albatross »

I like the idea of more knives with the "minimalist" trademark round hole, like the Mantra 2 and Ikuchi. The design allows for an ultra-slim profile, which seems to be falling to the wayside, in favor of taller blades, or maybe my desire to see more has created a false sense of scarcity. ZT seems to be coming around, but they still use 5" thick stock. I kid, but only slightly. :D

The more traditional blade shapes are a weakness for me. I struggle to pass them up. A slim, sleek blade, offers some versatility that the leaf shaped blades, and other tall blades don't. Leaf shaped blades have their purpose and offer an entirely different cutting experience, but I always pine for the more slender type.

Will we see more of this from Spyderco? I sure hope so.
ugaarguy

Re: Trademark round hole

Post by ugaarguy »

What do you think of the more spear point shaped blades of the Native and Native Chief? Those both have full size Spyder holes, but they have relatively slender blades.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

ugaarguy wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:17 pm
What do you think of the more spear point shaped blades of the Native and Native Chief? Those both have full size Spyder holes, but they have relatively slender blades.
Those are certainly a step in the right direction, but aren't quite doing it for me. The Mantra 2 and Ikuchi are noticeably more slender.

I do like most blade shapes Spyderco produces, but would love to see a larger selection of less broad blades.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I've been thinking about this too lately. I do like how shorter profile blades look. It doesn't really make a difference to me when cutting but I like that they don't take up as much room in my pocket. I recently bought a couple new ZTs (both with .120" blade stock btw) and it's a nice change. I've also been carrying my FF Gents alot and have another thin one coming from Ferrum Forge. Thing is these low profile blades require a flipper (or thumb studs) to deploy the blade. I don't really mind but there are times when I'd rather deploy the blade slowly. So the larger Spydie hole comes in handy. So I won't be giving up my Spydies with larger holes and taller blades any time soon
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I can't say I'd want to see a full on trend towards smaller holes but I would welcome less (or even less pronounced) thumb ramps, like the Caribbean has. I love my Caribbeans but I would love them even more if they had a smooth humpless spine like the Shaman. My dream knife is a Caribbean/Shaman love child.

I do find that if it's done right I can get get by most of the time with a smaller thumb hole like the Nilakka has, but that one works because the edge of the hole is nice and crisp. I wouldn't want a hole that small for a knife I'd use with gloves, and my EDC needs to be glove friendly.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Lowering the spines on my favorite users makes them much more versatile for me.
I would also be fine with a dragonfly size opening hole in all of them.

Absolutely no flippers for me, unless they have a useable opening hole.
Last edited by jpm2 on Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I guess if it is a flipper, a small trademark hole would make sense. But on a knife like the PM2 or Shaman where the hole is the way to open the knife, heck no -- or stronger words. I am more about ergonomics than looks and the hole is the biggest thing that drew me to Spyderco knives. Without the thumb hole, well heck -- it ain't a Spyderco any longer as far as I am concerned.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:22 am
I guess if it is a flipper, a small trademark hole would make sense. But on a knife like the PM2 or Shaman where the hole is the way to open the knife, heck no -- or stronger words. I am more about ergonomics than looks and the hole is the biggest thing that drew me to Spyderco knives. Without the thumb hole, well heck -- it ain't a Spyderco any longer as far as I am concerned.
Flippers are what I'm referring to, because yes, the tiny hole is unusable for opening a knife, unless you have literal baby hands.