Cruwear Native Chief ????

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SAF-1

Cruwear Native Chief ????

Post by SAF-1 »

Please Sal, can you do the Native Chief in Cruwear ??? I’m on my second one and Love it !!! Thank you
Evil D

Re: Cruwear Native Chief ????

Post by Evil D »

If it came in the same configuration as the Shaman I'd be all over it.

Honestly I'd likely jump after most knives in this combination.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd buy it. But I'd prefer 4v.
anycal

Post by anycal »

I am holding out for a Chief sprint/exclusive. Cruwear is as good as any. Although, I'd rather it not be the KC smooth black G10. I wouldn't want smooth flat scales for a larger folder as this.
Peter
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I would buy it...as a sprint run, because good luck getting an exclusive into Europe.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

I'd buy one. Or in 4v.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I'd love one in Cruwear "Shaman micarta" or Burlap micarta.
I'd be alright with smooth/polished G10 too.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Would definitely buy a Cruwear Native Chief. I agree with Peter though about preferring peel ply texture in a knife that size. I quite enjoy the smooth G10 on the KC Cruwear Native, but would want the Chief with more grip.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I have Cruwear (Manix2 and Shaman) and like it a lot.

But I think the Chief’s delicate geometry begs for 4V, a steel that is marginally tougher and cuts marginally longer than Cruwear, if I’m not mistaken. Besides, I have no 4V.

So, I just might pass on a Cruwear Chief and suffer my original.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I would try a chief in Cruwear or 4v, but please change the handle color.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I like the cruwear/micarta idea, but how well does micarta work on a linerless knife? I'd imagine it depends on scale thickness but I think it's not quite as stiff as similar thickness of g10. I like the look and feel of micarta but not if it ends up with scale flex. I'm pretty sure the unlined micarta buck 110 slim has some flex to it.
Slash

Post by Slash »

Isn't 3v more corrosion resistant than cru and 4v?
Think I'm actually leaning towards 3v as the go to all around semi-stainless steel thus far. Have recently purchased a few nice barkies in 3v.
Would like to see more spydies in 3v. Probably wishful thinking though due to m390, 90v, xhp, and everything else along that endless list of super steels.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:16 pm
I like the cruwear/micarta idea, but how well does micarta work on a linerless knife? I'd imagine it depends on scale thickness but I think it's not quite as stiff as similar thickness of g10. I like the look and feel of micarta but not if it ends up with scale flex. I'm pretty sure the unlined micarta buck 110 slim has some flex to it.
Yeah, I'm not at all interested in a Micarta Chief. I mostly doubt we'll see linerless Micarta Spydies again (they have made them in the past) and I don't want a Chief with steel liners. I like liners on some knives but think it would mess up the Chief.

As I understand the linerless Micarta problem is not about strength-- but rigidity and dimensional stability. G10 is essentially stable through changes in humidity and temperature, while micarta is much less so.

I do really want a Cruwear Chief. :cool:
Last edited by Enactive on Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Notsurewhy wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the thickness on the Native/Chief would be nearly double that of the Slim 110. I doubt there would be any flex and if there was it would be negligible.

100% Down for CruCarta Native Chief!
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
Hardbawl

Post by Hardbawl »

Where do I go to order one?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Slash wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:56 pm
Isn't 3v more corrosion resistant than cru and 4v?
Think I'm actually leaning towards 3v as the go to all around semi-stainless steel thus far. Have recently purchased a few nice barkies in 3v.
Would like to see more spydies in 3v. Probably wishful thinking though due to m390, 90v, xhp, and everything else along that endless list of super steels.
Corrosion resistance isn't an issue for me (at all) because I live in the desert and carry clipped to a cargo pocket (no sweat issues).

My favorite of those 3 steels is still 4v, because it has the best edge holding and still maintains enough toughness for a thin edge. That's especially true on a small-ish EDC folder. Even in a (relatively) beefy folder like the Shaman I've found that I prefer 4v to Cruwear. Of course I have no 3v option to compare there, but my experience with other (mostly fixed blades) is that I personally rank those steels (in order of my totally subjective preference) as 4v -> 3v -> Cruwear, with 3v moving to the fore as the knives get larger (and fixed bladed) and Cruwear never really overtaking either 4v or 3v for my top spot.

Still, I'll definitely buy a Native Chief in any of these steels (and have no real interest in the standard version of it).
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

thewoodpecker wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:45 am
Notsurewhy wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the thickness on the Native/Chief would be nearly double that of the Slim 110. I doubt there would be any flex and if there was it would be negligible.

100% Down for CruCarta Native Chief!
Assuming blade HQ has the numbers correct, the slim 110 micarta is .40in and the g10 chief is .43 inches. Blade stock is .12 vs .125. sounds pretty similar unless they make a micarta chief thicker.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Carrying my Shaman today, man I really really love this combo. I wouldn't be upset if the Chief got a comparable steel instead of Cruwear but the micarta is wonderful and with the Shaman's rounded handle it's especially nice.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
glutofknives

Post by glutofknives »

As much as I love the linerless Chief, I would be 100 percent ok to add liners if it meant we could get micarta.
SAF-1

Post by SAF-1 »

I’m a Fireman/Paramedic in South East Florida for 26yrs and I carry the Chief And a Cruwear Military at the same time and I can tell you from person experience Cruwear Resists Rust better then I would have imagined !! I’ve been in Fires in the Summer time here with the Military in my Pocket and with that Suit on have lost 10lbs water weight with Sweat all over the Cruwear and have yet to encounter an issue.
It takes a **** of an edge and is tough as Nails !! I think Cruwear would take the CHEIF over the top and PLEASE Keep the Black G10 !! I’ve had Both Sweat and Blood on that Handle and still retained a positive grip on it !! Thank you Sal