Slipit as a base for testing new steels

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
curlyhairedboy

Re: Slipit as a base for testing new steels

Post by curlyhairedboy »

araneae wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:24 pm
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:51 am
sal wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:03 am
One requirement that you are perhaps not thinking of is that in order to get a new steel to test,besides sometimes begging, we have to purchase a minimum quantity. Usually 1,000 to 2,000 lbs. That would be an awful lot of UK's or Urbans to try to move with an experimental steel.

sal
With that in mind, Sal, do you think it might be feasible to do something similar to the collector's program?

I'm thinking if we get 100 people to sign up to buy whatever UKpk's in a variety of steel, then maybe one can come out every 6-8 months and then meet the steel minimum orders?
I think you need waaaaay more than 100 people to cover 1000-2000 pounds of steel.
Yeah, I'm probably off by an order of magnitude...
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:
One requirement that you are perhaps not thinking of is that in order to get a new steel to test,besides sometimes begging, we have to purchase a minimum quantity. Usually 1,000 to 2,000 lbs. That would be an awful lot of UK's or Urbans to try to move with an experimental steel.

sal
That is something I did not know. Hmmm.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:37 pm
araneae wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:24 pm
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:51 am
sal wrote:

sal
With that in mind, Sal, do you think it might be feasible to do something similar to the collector's program?

I'm thinking if we get 100 people to sign up to buy whatever UKpk's in a variety of steel, then maybe one can come out every 6-8 months and then meet the steel minimum orders?
I think you need waaaaay more than 100 people to cover 1000-2000 pounds of steel.
Yeah, I'm probably off by an order of magnitude...
Way off, but if a solution could be found I’d be willing to agree to buy the knives if not expensive.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I would guess the number of units required is roughly equal to, say, the number of every VToku2 variant issued.

How about “just” including a slipjoint in future steel sprint runs? Seki used to make Spyderco slipjoints after all.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I did get an AEB-L Urban recently, admittedly a bit late to the party. It was a low cost way to get another steel to play with, and it showed me that the Urban is a neat little knife. However, I don't think that it's large enough to do any meaningful testing with, even informal testing. I'd want something at least UKPK sized. I'd actually prefer something with a lock, like a Native 5 LW. I really like the idea of a standardized folding mule type knife, and I hope the team at Spyderco can find a way to make it feasible.
sal

Post by sal »

Steels like AEB-L and Hap 40 are already steels being used so we don't have to purchase large minimum quantities. 1,000 lbs of a steel not used much or specially made would make 3,000-4,000 UKPK's and even more Urbans. Quite a few for an experiment that is consumer direct.

Originally, I wanted to use the Military as a Steel Mule but the cost was high. The way we made our fixed blade Mule Teams consumer direct was the least expensive for the steel junky customer.

I also agree with Ugaarguy that an Urban is a bit small for genera testing.

I will say that Eric is planning a few more Mule Teams with some new steels.

sal
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

sal wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:08 pm
Steels like AEB-L and Hap 40 are already steels being used so we don't have to purchase large minimum quantities. 1,000 lbs of a steel not used much or specially made would make 3,000-4,000 UKPK's and even more Urbans. Quite a few for an experiment that is consumer direct.

Originally, I wanted to use the Military as a Steel Mule but the cost was high. The way we made our fixed blade Mule Teams consumer direct was the least expensive for the steel junky customer.

I also agree with Ugaarguy that an Urban is a bit small for genera testing.

sal
Wow, it takes 4 to 5 ounces of blade steel to make a a knife that weighs 1.7 oz, including the scales, spring bar, and hardware. I know there's loss from cutting the blade blanks from the sheets or strips of steel, and then further loss from grinding the bevels and the rest of the finish machining. I didn't realize there was that much material loss. Sal, Are you able to share how much steel is typically recovered by recycling the remainder of the sheets after the blanks are cut from them?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ugaarguy,

It depends on the stee and thickness. Some steels have a lot of fall-out for one reason or another. The Mule Team project pieces includes a handle which uses a lot of steel.

sal
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Fixed blade UKPK?
Justin
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Yeah, we'd definitely need a LOT more than 100 people or so :D
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

It might depend on the specific steel.

For example, the PMA11, PD1 and RWL34 mules stuck around for a while. I bet that a sprint run of the Shaman/Native Chief/etc in PD1 would sell out very quickly if you advertised it as "basically identical to cru-wear". Ditto for PMA11 runs billed as "very similar to K390" or RWL34 subtitled as "knife specific version of CPM 154". It seems like further sprint runs could easily use up a lot of the steel left over from Mule runs.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

There has to be a solution to the folding mule problem. That’s a lot of steel to buy. I wonder how this requirement might be gotten around? Sales samples? Scraps from the maker?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

One vote for the original Mule team fixed blades.

I grew up with slip joints and I was very happy when better knives came along.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Tom,

Because a few foundries use the same chemistry does not mean they are all exactly the same.

Hi Doc,

We're thought about this quote a bit. Consumer direct gives the best price, but requires smaller numbers. When we uses the distribution chain, there are many more profits involved, so costs are much higher. Not as many steel junky's out there as you'd think. That's why exclusives work, but they aren't using untested steels.

sal
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:04 pm
Hi Tom,

Because a few foundries use the same chemistry does not mean they are all exactly the same.

Hi Doc,

We're thought about this quote a bit. Consumer direct gives the best price, but requires smaller numbers. When we uses the distribution chain, there are many more profits involved, so costs are much higher. Not as many steel junky's out there as you'd think. That's why exclusives work, but they aren't using untested steels.

sal
I gotcha.

What about releasing the UKPK in steels you have used in other knives? There are many of those I’ve not tried. However, the market might be too small for a non-locking knife.
Last edited by Doc Dan on Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

sal wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:08 pm

sal
Well !! God bless Eric. And wish him a Merry Christmas!

I too put in my vote for the original fixed blade mule team. Thinking about more of those puts the new year on a positive footing.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:10 pm
What about releasing the UKPK in steels you have used in other knives? There are many of those I’ve not tried. However, the market might be too small for a non-locking knife.
That's a great idea. If Spyderco already has Cruwear, M4, 52100, Maxamet, etc, in house, then it would spread their EDC use to a much wider audience if they were available as UKPK sprints. I'd guess that the concern is production schedule time (does it make sense to have golden making a run of 52100 UKPK instead of regular PM2s for example?), but some of those would probably be fast selling and worth the time. I'd bet that Cruwear, M4, and Maxamet would go pretty fast, for example.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:27 am
Doc Dan wrote:
That's a great idea. If Spyderco already has Cruwear, M4, 52100, Maxamet, etc, in house, then it would spread their EDC use to a much wider audience if they were available as UKPK sprints. I'd guess that the concern is production schedule time (does it make sense to have golden making a run of 52100 UKPK instead of regular PM2s for example?), but some of those would probably be fast selling and worth the time. I'd bet that Cruwear, M4, and Maxamet would go pretty fast, for example.
Thanks. That was my thinking. At the price of the UKPK we could afford to buy extras for gifts.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Doc Dan wrote:
sal wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:04 pm
Hi Tom,

Hi Doc,

sal
I gotcha.

I like this idea, a lot.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

It would be cool to see Cruwear or K390 in a drop point UKPK-- say with brown scales to match the G10 Stretch.