Slipit as a base for testing new steels

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Slipit as a base for testing new steels

Post by Doc Dan »

It’s no secret that I like the Urban LW as a vehicle fir testing new steels in everyday life. It is very size efficient and pocket friendly. The walk is not great, though, being too hard to open.

I did not care for the UKPK because the earlier ones I handled did not have a nice spring tension. That has changed. People on this forum told me the new ones are about right. Well, this new BD1N version is about right. This would also make a great platform for testing new steels for actual daily use. The price is good, the action is good, and it’s Golden made.

( I think the Urban would benefit by Golden manufacture)

I’d like to see more such slipits with new steels to test, including the new UKPK.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
curlyhairedboy

Re: Slipit as a base for testing new steels

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I definitely enjoyed the Urban LW (k390), but I'd agree that the Golden-made current UKPK is a superior platform. It's big enough to apply some force with the knife and it has much better action.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'd be all for this in either model. Though not a slipit, but exactly why I grabbed a Calypso JR/SuperBlue from National Knives this past weekend when they magically showed up on their site. I was excited to try this steel, especially in a cheaper model. You really can't go wrong with an Urban or UKPK!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I think the UKPK should be used for USA steels and the Urban for European steels. Less shipping should help keep costs down.

Now we just need a nice Japanese slipppie for Japanese steels. :)
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:06 am
I think the UKPK should be used for USA steels and the Urban for European steels. Less shipping should help keep costs down.

Now we just need a nice Japanese slipppie for Japanese steels. :)
I second all of the above. It would be cool to have a JPK. It would be a UKPK with a dab of wasabi. Perhaps it could be called the Sushi or the Sashimi as it would be designed to highlight the steel in its "raw" form.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I’ve been in this choir since the mule program came to an end.

I didn’t buy mules (Spydie folders are what brought me here) but I did pay close attention to reactions of those who did. Early warning primes the pump.

Spyderco’s slipits, apart from being a relatively inexpensive way to introduce new steels, are jurisdiction-friendlier knives that punch far above their weight.

I like Tom’s idea of European Urbans, American UKPKs, and Japanese ???, so as to feature the steels of their regions. How about the Calypso Jr. as the basis for the Japanese slipit?

But, please, can we update the pivot screw on each model so it can be tightened from both sides? Pretty please?
Last edited by wrdwrght on Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I like the idea of a folding mule (slippy so everyone can enjoy them) but I would definitely want at least the size of the UKPK. Maybe they can improve the spring?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:52 am
I like the idea of a folding mule (slippy so everyone can enjoy them) but I would definitely want at least the size of the UKPK. Maybe they can improve the spring?
I think the spring is fine in the current production.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The spring is vastly superior in the new knife versus its predecessor.

I would not want a knife larger than the UKPK as I would not nor could not carry it daily.

I like that these knives are inexpensive. If I really like a steel tested in one of these I can buy a more expensive knife. Also, slip joints allow most of us to participate.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

A slipit makes sense considering that not everyone can have a locking knife everywhere. Gives more people a chance to check out interesting steels
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I like the Slipit idea and roughly the size of a UKPK, maybe smaller, but I think a folding mule should be an all new model. It should be like the Chaparral and Sage where something remains constant, maybe the scales. I’m thinking something similar to a Lil Native LW shape, Slipit with a variety of steels.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Steel testing on rope and etc it great, but most of us cut zip ties, open cans, open plastic packaging, cut food, cut string, hit the edge on plates, cut saplings, cut cane for fishing poles, clean game, carve wooden instruments, and more such things. This gives us practical daily use knives of practical size.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Doc, What you are asking is a lot more complicated than you might imagine.

sal
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:12 am
Hi Doc, What you are asking is a lot more complicated than you might imagine.

sal
I know I’m not in the business, but I am not suggesting a new knife. Just an existing one with Sprint Run steel choices like we have gotten with the Urban. I like what has been done there.

I would not mind at all seeing more Urbans in new steels and would like to see the UKPK done in new steels. These are affordable and practical.

I wonder if there is a way to poll or to test the waters some more! What I think is the Urban Sprints sold well, or seem to have. Perhaps the Caly/Delica sized UKPK would as well?

Of course we’ve had threads on slipit mules and folding mules before.
Last edited by Doc Dan on Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Here is the current UKPK compared to the Urban K390 Sprint.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doc I'm not at all trying to be disagreeable with you but I think Spyderco has this one right to begin with. I think that using the C-36 Military and the Para2 are both perfect for testing the market with new blade steels.

And the same could be said about those Mule models as well. For the foreseeable future I'll probably continue using the MILITARY or PARA2 models as my main EDCs as well. Unless they ever come across with a C-60 Ayoob in a Supersteel.

I also think that Sprint Runs are a great way to test drive new blade steels as well.
sal

Post by sal »

One requirement that you are perhaps not thinking of is that in order to get a new steel to test,besides sometimes begging, we have to purchase a minimum quantity. Usually 1,000 to 2,000 lbs. That would be an awful lot of UK's or Urbans to try to move with an experimental steel.

sal
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

sal wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:03 am
One requirement that you are perhaps not thinking of is that in order to get a new steel to test,besides sometimes begging, we have to purchase a minimum quantity. Usually 1,000 to 2,000 lbs. That would be an awful lot of UK's or Urbans to try to move with an experimental steel.

sal
With that in mind, Sal, do you think it might be feasible to do something similar to the collector's program?

I'm thinking if we get 100 people to sign up to buy whatever UKpk's in a variety of steel, then maybe one can come out every 6-8 months and then meet the steel minimum orders?
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
araneae

Post by araneae »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:51 am
sal wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:03 am

sal
With that in mind, Sal, do you think it might be feasible to do something similar to the collector's program?

I'm thinking if we get 100 people to sign up to buy whatever UKpk's in a variety of steel, then maybe one can come out every 6-8 months and then meet the steel minimum orders?
I think you need waaaaay more than 100 people to cover 1000-2000 pounds of steel.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

How many units is that?