Need help picking a Christmas Knife or...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Need help picking a Christmas Knife or...

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

It has become a tradition that I get to pick a knife for my Christmas Gift.

I could use some suggestions.

Might decide on a water stone instead I enjoy my Kingstones and have been contemplating shapeton products.

Thanks
Evil D

Re: Need help picking a Christmas Knife or...

Post by Evil D »

Shapton Glass stones are superb.

Hey you should get a SE Caribbean! 🤣

Actually you probably should get an Autonomy 1 while they're still around if you're legally allowed to carry one. I absolutely love mine and I plan on getting an orange/satin one eventually.

Dragonfly Salt? Hawkbill?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Autonomy 2 is also a solid choice.

Are you thinking something fancy and classy, special steel, new design, workhorse, or anything?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

If you don't have one, a Caribbean. If you have that, a Baby Horn!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:52 am
Shapton Glass stones are superb.

Hey you should get a SE Caribbean! 🤣

Actually you probably should get an Autonomy 1 while they're still around if you're legally allowed to carry one. I absolutely love mine and I plan on getting an orange/satin one eventually.

Dragonfly Salt? Hawkbill?
Lol you need another SE Caribbean already ;)

Hmm might look into the Autonomy. Thanks.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:13 am
Autonomy 2 is also a solid choice.

Are you thinking something fancy and classy, special steel, new design, workhorse, or anything?
Honestly it could be any of those above. Wow another vote for Autonomy hmmm need to look at this also.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:43 am
I still have my PE Carribean, EvilD has been making great use of the one I gave him as a gift that is what we are laughing about.

Looking over my collection I was thinking this morning maybe I should do a forum giveaway based on some criteria, I recall a while back someone did a who can make me laugh the hardest give away.

I am thinking since it is Christmas season it should have something to do with the Nobelist values of human kind and a demonstration of them or something like that.

Like maybe providing proof of doing for others and let the forum pick the most charitable person and send that person a knife from my collection.

I just know there are people who come here that serve others during the Holidays, people who work soup kitchens for the homeless and the destitute, people who in some way honor the meaning of Christ and Christmas in a meaningful way. Gosh guys need some help with this idea.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

How about a nice fixed blade if it's feasible in your area? A toothy Jumpmaster2 or a Province?
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Doeswhateveraspidercan

legOFwhat? wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:38 pm
How about a nice fixed blade if it's feasible in your area? A toothy Jumpmaster2 or a Province?
Hey that's not a bad idea Jump-master is in H1 right? I use the heck out of my Pacific Salt SE it is great for stripping meat off of the bones of whole chickens etc.. I just go side ways and off comes the meat.

You know just yesterday I was using my Spyderco Delica in Cru-Wear and my Buck 110 Custom in 440C I cut down equal amounts of the same cardboard with each.

Later that night I tested a new Caley which was sharper than both after the days work and then the two I had used earlier.

To my astonishment the 440C held up better than the cru-wear and was still slicing thin paper while the cru-wear was snagging.

I really wish Spyderco would do something with 440C properly heat treated this stuff is awesome.

Did Spyderco ever do a cru-wear fixed blade?
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

Not knowing what you already have...

I would go with a new Carter Kitchen Knife or
Kapara
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:32 pm

I really wish Spyderco would do something with 440C properly heat treated this stuff is awesome.

The Serrata is a great big chunk of 440C.

For CPM CRU-WEAR, the PD#1 Mule may still be in stock at Spyderco.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Oh yeah I just remembered the Serrata was not well received as I recall due to being thick at the edge. Unfortunately most of the mules are either sold out or discontinued too bad they don't just put that on the item instead of having to open each one to see if they really are available.

Can still consider the Serrata anyone have practical experience with it?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

rybu0305 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:41 pm
Not knowing what you already have...

I would go with a new Carter Kitchen Knife or
Kapara
Would love a Murray Carter but it is out of the price range.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Sage5 LW? That's the last Spyderco I picked up and it's a keeper.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:32 pm
legOFwhat? wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:38 pm
Hey that's not a bad idea Jump-master is in H1 right? I use the heck out of my Pacific Salt SE it is great for stripping meat off of the bones of whole chickens etc.. I just go side ways and off comes the meat.

You know just yesterday I was using my Spyderco Delica in Cru-Wear and my Buck 110 Custom in 440C I cut down equal amounts of the same cardboard with each.

Later that night I tested a new Caley which was sharper than both after the days work and then the two I had used earlier.

To my astonishment the 440C held up better than the cru-wear and was still slicing thin paper while the cru-wear was snagging.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/MT27/1079
I just put PD#1 in the search field and it looks like they still have some. ;)
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

You should get the Dodo or the KW PM2 that came out this week, I’ve been hearing for months that they’re awesome :D
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:54 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:43 am
I still have my PE Carribean, EvilD has been making great use of the one I gave him as a gift that is what we are laughing about.

Looking over my collection I was thinking this morning maybe I should do a forum giveaway based on some criteria, I recall a while back someone did a who can make me laugh the hardest give away.

I am thinking since it is Christmas season it should have something to do with the Nobelist values of human kind and a demonstration of them or something like that.

Like maybe providing proof of doing for others and let the forum pick the most charitable person and send that person a knife from my collection.

I just know there are people who come here that serve others during the Holidays, people who work soup kitchens for the homeless and the destitute, people who in some way honor the meaning of Christ and Christmas in a meaningful way. Gosh guys need some help with this idea.
Spyderco donates a portion of the sales of every Mantra 3 to The Parkinson's Foundation. That would be worthy, in my opinion.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Does, on Christmas Day with four grandkiddies and no shortage of toys in clamshell packaging, many of which are tied to cardboard with small cable ties I wouldn’t be without my Ladybug SE HB. ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

a regular, vanilla, vg10 SE delica? For old times sake...

My vote is a chinook 4 of ya ain’t got one....
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:31 pm
Does, on Christmas Day with four grandkiddies and no shortage of toys in clamshell packaging, many of which are tied to cardboard with small cable ties I wouldn’t be without my Ladybug SE HB. ;)
Oh wow, I think you may have just stumbled upon the ideal use for a Dodo as well - clamshell packaging. Will definitely have to keep mine handy on Christmas morning to test out.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.