Kapara LW?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Catamount123

Kapara LW?

Post by Catamount123 »

I love my Kapara, but I do find myself wishing it had grippier scales. Anyone else interested in an FRN version? I'm fine with either full liners, or just what is needed for the compression lock.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
Wartstein

Re: Kapara LW?

Post by Wartstein »

Catamount123 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:05 am
I love my Kapara, but I do find myself wishing it had grippier scales. Anyone else interested in an FRN version? I'm fine with either full liners, or just what is needed for the compression lock.
I'd love to see it in FRN with a backlock...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Agreed that the scales are a bit slick for my taste. If it could have the seki-style frn, I'd be into it. I only had the chap lw for a little while, so I don't really remember if the frn from taichung had more of the seki feel or the golden "slick" feel.

Overall, though, I think I'd be more interested in a canvas micarta (deep burgandy??) or textured g10 on the kapara.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:30 am
Agreed that the scales are a bit slick for my taste. If it could have the seki-style frn, I'd be into it. I only had the chap lw for a little while, so I don't really remember if the frn from taichung had more of the seki feel or the golden "slick" feel.

Overall, though, I think I'd be more interested in a canvas micarta (deep burgandy??) or textured g10 on the kapara.
Yes please! :)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

I wouldn’t change a thing. Wish I had two.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
Joey

Post by Joey »

rybu0305 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:54 pm
Nothing needs to change, this can be another option, or a sprint : )
JuPaul wrote: Agreed that the scales are a bit slick for my taste. If it could have the seki-style frn, I'd be into it. I only had the chap lw for a little while, so I don't really remember if the frn from taichung had more of the seki feel or the golden "slick" feel.

I, too, have to say this sounds like the perfect solution! Maybe with some S110V, 10V, or K390. Or VG-10 for cost/overall steel quality balance.
I enjoy mine, but don’t carry it much. It’s an exceptional knife as is, and there’s something special about it. However, some (if only just a tad) more grippy material on the scales would take this design to a new level.
I don’t like the way Taichung tends to round off the compression tabs :/ this combined with the smooth/contoured CF make the knife hard to close one handed. I have mine clip-less due to the ergonomic boost
it provides, and pocket clips are normally an anchor point for my grip while closing. Normally it sits on the shelf, but I’m going to carry it more.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

rybu0305 wrote:

You are right, the current Kapara is nice as it is and should not be replaced.

But just another in some ways more "user friendly" version (not saying the current Kapara is not "user friendly", but I don´t find another word right now) would be nice.

I remember, when I had mine (finally sold it), the handle (while really comfortable in "normal" conditions") could feel a bit slippery and unsecure in hand when my fingers were wet and cold, due to its slick Carbon and overall slimness.

And I have to say: Regardless if one generally likes the compression lock or not so much, on this particular model imho it is a bit harder to operate, again especially with cold/wet hands.

So a "hard use" version (grippy FRN and a backlock, or the comp.lock a bit modified for better accesability and operation) would be nice. The design as such is great: A lot of edge in a short, slim package and a choil, that sacrifices almost no cutting edge.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

rybu0305 wrote:
Agreed. I'd rather people turned to other models, generally rather than ruining existing ones (from my purely egoistic point of view :) )
That said, it could work with burlap micarta scales.. Just for the love of God, no FRN / LW
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:51 am
rybu0305 wrote:
Agreed. I'd rather people turned to other models, generally rather than ruining existing ones (from my purely egoistic point of view :) )
That said, it could work with burlap micarta scales.. Just for the love of God, no FRN / LW
As one of those who generally is fine with the OPs idea: Again, I would not like the current Kapara to get disontinued, changed or replaced by another version at all!

But "turning to another model" for a more grippier, maybe a bit more userfriendly in harsher conditions kind-of-Kapara is not easy to do, for it has some really rather unique features:
The very slim and comparably short profile when closed,but still offering the same cutting edge as an Endura.
And a choil, that is not really a (50:50) choil, but almost completely loctated in the actual handle, sacrificing almost no cutting edge and placing the hand on the real, actual handle and very close to the cutting edge.

So don´t change the Kapara, but maybe create an FRN knife along its lines and design ideas... If such a model had a backlock,it could very well be what many people would like to see in an Endura 5....
geronm042

Post by geronm042 »

Wow you’re selling it so well... i’m now confused :-D should I go buy a Kapara or wait for an E5 ?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

geronm042 wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:47 am
Wow you’re selling it so well... i’m now confused :-D should I go buy a Kapara or wait for an E5 ?
:p Buy a Kapara,if you like fingerchoils!
I don´t think a possible Endura 5 will feature one... (and I personally don´t even hope so, I like that Ricasso. But if the E5 has to have a choil, then definitely in Kapara-style for me... ;) )

Seriously, the Kapara is a great design. Sold mine just cause I prefer backlocks and non-deep-carry, and I can´t have to many knives.
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

As Wartstein said, I'm not saying discontinue the current version, but add an FRN one. I think it could be a close to perfect EDC for me, and maybe others. I'd be happy with BD1N, if it would significantly lower the price, and make this wonderful design accessible to more people. As has been proposed before, LC200N would also work very well.

As far as micarta or G10, I'm not opposed, as long as it is grippier than the CF, and I think either would make a nice sprint run.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Joey wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:42 am
rybu0305 wrote:
Nothing needs to change, this can be another option, or a sprint : )
JuPaul wrote: Agreed that the scales are a bit slick for my taste. If it could have the seki-style frn, I'd be into it. I only had the chap lw for a little while, so I don't really remember if the frn from taichung had more of the seki feel or the golden "slick" feel.

I, too, have to say this sounds like the perfect solution! Maybe with some S110V, 10V, or K390. Or VG-10 for cost/overall steel quality balance.
I enjoy mine, but don’t carry it much. It’s an exceptional knife as is, and there’s something special about it. However, some (if only just a tad) more grippy material on the scales would take this design to a new level.
I don’t like the way Taichung tends to round off the compression tabs :/ this combined with the smooth/contoured CF make the knife hard to close one handed. I have mine clip-less due to the ergonomic boost
it provides, and pocket clips are normally an anchor point for my grip while closing. Normally it sits on the shelf, but I’m going to carry it more.
Same here with the pocket clip, especially on this one. And agreed all around, it's a gorgeous knife. But a little texture on the scales would take it from an every once in a while carry to a frequent carry for me as well.
- Julia

Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Leave the Kapara exactly the way it is, it’s perfect! Only thing that could be changed would be LC200N.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Dazen wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:32 am
Leave the Kapara exactly the way it is, it’s perfect! Only thing that could be changed would be LC200N.
Sure, it totally is, but rather for a more "regular"/urban / office / only-nice-outdoors enviroment. Again, I think what the OP meant isjust another version or folder along the lines of the Kapara keeping its unique features (see my posts above), but offering more grip for an outdoor / "hard use" / less than ideal conditions enviroment.

I had the Kapara, and really, really liked it, but using it for example in cold rain with numb, wet fingers was not the best and safest thing in the world compared to lets say an Endura. That is true both for grippiness and lock operation imho.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:57 am
Dazen wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:32 am
Sure, it totally is, but rather for a more "regular"/urban / office / only-nice-outdoors enviroment. Again, I think what the OP meant isjust another version or folder along the lines of the Kapara keeping its unique features (see my posts above), but offering more grip for an outdoor / "hard use" / less than ideal conditions enviroment.

I had the Kapara, and really, really liked it, but using it for example in cold rain with numb, wet fingers was not the best and safest thing in the world compared to lets say an Endura. That is true both for grippiness and lock operation imho.
Agreed. The Kapara would make a nice knife for foraging and prepping larger mushrooms, for example, but it'd need to have more textured scales at least. Lc200n would be nice for that purpose and for outdoor/camping food prep, too.
- Julia

Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

I love the Kapara, it’s my favorite Spyderco folder right now. I would love additional versions of it with different steels and handle materials. Green micarta would be amazing. A lightweight FRN version would be really appealing, too.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Since this is a collaboration I would think it would come down to how much Alistair wants to mess with his design. I would just like to see their slip joint collaboration come to fruition before anything else.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

People are wanting total change to fit their particular lifestyle, financial status and personal design beliefs. This is an attempt to fullfil the needs of many...hopefully for Spyderco. They are also targeting some of us that have a little more jingle in our jeans and since they have about 2 skillion other designs, there is something for everyone.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Frn on this would ruin it for me. I think the sharp angles would hurt your hand
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut