The Endela.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fright_Fox

The Endela.

Post by Fright_Fox »

I’m thinking about getting an Endela for destroying boxes at work, do you guys like this model or should I just get another Endura (traded my last one). Thanks.
Wartstein

Re: The Endela.

Post by Wartstein »

Fright_Fox wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:02 pm
I’m thinking about getting an Endela for destroying boxes at work, do you guys like this model or should I just get another Endura (traded my last one). Thanks.
The Endela has a slightly improved handle for some compared to the Endura (a bit more handfilling, the points between the finger grooves have been mellowed out).
The really great thing about the Endela: You can get it in SE ffg (not sabre grind like the Endura SE).
I'd STRONGLY recommend the serrated Endela, it's an amazing cutter with it's rather shallow, not too aggressive serrations.
Feels more like an "improved plain edge" .
Get one (in SE!!), you won't regret it!!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Another "yes" on the SE Endela. The SE Jazzelica is another good choice for turning boxes into small pieces of cardboard.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

And the PE Delica wharnie cuts boxes all day too. All good choices.
- best wishes, Jazz.
geronm042

Post by geronm042 »

SE Endela, absolutely amazing cutter. Very well balanced in size.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

The Endela was the second knife i bought thinking i will absolutelly love it.The first one was the Yojimbo,by the way.Turns out i like the Endela,but i not LOVE it.I carry it,used it,and turned back to my beloved Delica.For your cutting needs,i think a wharnie Delica will be better.PE or SE.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:11 pm
Fright_Fox wrote:
The Endela has a slightly improved handle for some compared to the Endura (a bit more handfilling, the points between the finger grooves have been mellowed out).
The really great thing about the Endela: You can get it in SE ffg (not sabre grind like the Endura SE).
I'd STRONGLY recommend the serrated Endela, it's an amazing cutter with it's rather shallow, not too aggressive serrations.
:D I knew you’d be on this like a duck on a June bug, as we say. :D

I keep putting one in my cart and thenSpyderco releases something else that I need. One of these days...
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:04 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:11 pm
Fright_Fox wrote:
:D I knew you’d be on this like a duck on a June bug, as we say. :D

I keep putting one in my cart and thenSpyderco releases something else that I need. One of these days...
I just HAD to :o ... the serrated Endela IS that good. Amazing cutter! Though if one is ok with the shorter cutting edge, I imagine the Wharnie SE Delica is at least as good or even better (never tried one myself)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've been eyeballing the SE Endura wharnie lately. I wonder if the Endela will eventually get a wharnie blade too?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:16 am
I've been eyeballing the SE Endura wharnie lately. I wonder if the Endela will eventually get a wharnie blade too?
The Endela blade has a size in which I´d only just like a wharnie, while the Endura is too long for that for my liking (don´t like wharnie style in longer blades for some reason).

I on the other hand wonder, if the Endura will eventually get the SE treatment in ffg and its regular (not wharnie) blade...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:26 am
Evil D wrote:
The Endela blade has a size in which I´d only just like a wharnie, while the Endura is too long for that for my liking (don´t like wharnie style in longer blades for some reason).

I on the other hand wonder, if the Endura will eventually get the SE treatment in ffg and its regular (not wharnie) blade...

I thought it already did. I wonder if there's a Delica/Endura 5 coming with an updated handle shape like the Endela.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:38 am
Wartstein wrote:
Evil D wrote:

I thought it already did. I wonder if there's a Delica/Endura 5 coming with an updated handle shape like the Endela.
Unfortunately not... the SE Endura and Delica (other than the Wharnie) are still in sabre grind. :(
geronm042

Post by geronm042 »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:55 am
Evil D wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Unfortunately not... the SE Endura and Delica (other than the Wharnie) are still in sabre grind. :(
Which is a terrible shame, especially for the endura :-D
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

geronm042 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:38 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:55 am
Evil D wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Which is a terrible shame, especially for the endura :-D
+1
jasonstone20

Post by jasonstone20 »

I don't have an Endela, but I have been thinking of getting one, or maybe a Stretch (The staight spine Stretch really has my attention, I wish it was in Super Blue, V-Toku 2, 52100, or AEB-L. I do like VG10, that whole class of steels is great for EDC). I have the Delica/Endura clone from Benchmade, the Pika II (G10, Purlple titanium liners, Harley Davidson line) along with a Byrd Meadowlark 2 Hawkbill. If you are getting a knife just to cut boxes, I would get either the Wharncliff Delica or Endura, and if you don't like sharpening I would get a full SE. For a knife you are going to use for EDC also, I would get the Endela, as it is the perfect size for EDC use with a 3.5" blade, which is the sweet spot for EDC if you ask me.
"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)"
--Shawn Houston

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"Life is GOOD!"
--Stefan Wolf, May his memory be a blessing

--Ken Schwartz, May his memory be a blessing

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser