BHQs translucent "natural" G10 exclusives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Notsurewhy

Re: BHQs translucent "natural" G10 exclusives

Post by Notsurewhy »

Green is a funny color. Some shades I love (Kelly, BRG), some I'm indifferent on (Olive drab) and some I really dislike (Jade, seafoam).

Jade G10 is the color of an extremely pale person who is seasick. I can't fathom why anyone likes it, but I like that it's available for them. More knives in more colors is always better. Even ones I don't like.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:54 pm
It’s not off-putting to me but I do dislike the trend toward dealer-associated and steel-associated colors. I’d rather we be tantalized by the next new color.

I can see the appeal of collections and it's a smart business move once you have a winning combo. I'm not a collector so I don't get the urge to buy every Jade/M4 combo they make but I'm certain there are people who do. Honestly I'm just happy someone is willing to take a chance on bringing back models like the Dodo and it seems the easiest (most risk free for Spyderco) to do that is with dealer exclusives. I think I prefer sprints personally because I have my pick of who to order it from (since there have been exclusives I won't buy just because of who commissioned them) but I like exclusives for the option to produce more runs later on so even though you miss one doesn't mean you won't get another chance. I'm actually a little put off by the "one and done" aspect of sprint runs because if you miss them you're SOL.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

The BHQ scales ain't loud, so I'm ok with'm.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

The natural G10 (not Jade lol) scales aren't really for me as is but they do provide a clean slate for dying them any color you choose.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

So what do we think is going to be next in the Jade / M4 lineup?

They still need to do a DLC Shaman, and hopefully they will do a DLC Serrated Edge Dodo after this 5 minute sellout.

I am hoping they will hit the LW models with some GITD FRN as the GITD Delica is basically the same "Jade" color as the Natural G10. A GITD Manix LW and Native LW would be awesome!

A throwback C95 Manix exclusive would surely be a hit.

Maybe a Jade G10 M4 Chapparal??? Or a GITD FRN M4 Chap LW?

With all of the new steels in Seki, maybe those models become an option??

There is also still the Lil Native, Chief, and Manix XL if they continue on through the Golden models, but I am not super interested in any of those models in this combo except the Manix XL in DLC.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:35 pm
So what do we think is going to be next in the Jade / M4 lineup?

They still need to do a DLC Shaman, and hopefully they will do a DLC Serrated Edge Dodo after this 5 minute sellout.

I am hoping they will hit the LW models with some GITD FRN as the GITD Delica is basically the same "Jade" color as the Natural G10. A GITD Manix LW and Native LW would be awesome!

A throwback C95 Manix exclusive would surely be a hit.

Maybe a Jade G10 M4 Chapparal??? Or a GITD FRN M4 Chap LW?

With all of the new steels in Seki, maybe those models become an option??

There is also still the Lil Native, Chief, and Manix XL if they continue on through the Golden models, but I am not super interested in any of those models in this combo except the Manix XL in DLC.
My biggest interest would be the Lil Native! At this rate though, I know its inevitable but I also hope it's next :)

Also, I like the idea of them using the GITD FRN. If that ever happened, my guess is they would do a Para 3 LW first.
-Nick :bug-red
DrawBackwards

Post by DrawBackwards »

I actually like the look. I wouldn’t like fully transparent scales, but I do like the translucence with natural light. And it’s cool how many different models they’ve pumped out.

I also like it from a consistency perspective - it’s almost like a sub-brand.

-Ward
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

steelcity16 wrote:
Maybe a Jade G10 M4 Chapparal???
That would be amazing.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:58 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
That would be amazing.
I want one of those
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

ABX2011 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:10 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:58 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
That would be amazing.
I want one of those
M4 would inspire me to get a chapparal.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Thanks guys, I appreciate your feedbacks. I'm happy to have learned that I'm not all alone with my dislike. But I do like the thought that my no-no feeling opens the door for snagging one of these mangled beauties to someone else. ;)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Neutral on the jade look, but wouldn’t care if it was pink with purple polka dots, it’s the M4 that I like :cool:
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:12 pm
I think the "petrified snot" scales are awful.
:D :D Hahahaha! I could not have said it better. I don’t like the look...at all.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

I'm not a huge fan of the jade, but love the M4 that comes with it in the BHQ exclusives. The good news is you can easily change the color of that G10 if you so desire, non-permanently, with a Sharpie.
IMG_4529.jpg
Here's how: LINK and LINK (second one goes to BladeForums where there is an example of multiple colors)
"Engineers don't idle well."

Thank you to our Veterans!
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

I think they look great, especially with a nice patina on the blade
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

I kinda like the looks of natural G10, but haven't any. M4 is good steel, but it wasn't enough to push me into buying a Jade G10 knife.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Albatross wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:54 pm
I kinda like the looks of natural G10, but haven't any. M4 is good steel, but it wasn't enough to push me into buying a Jade G10 knife.

I'm the opposite. I don't really care for M4, but the Jade scales make me want all of these models. This one I bought for the model first, the scales were a bonus, and the steel not a factor.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I really don’t care for it. But it sure was easy to buy some black OEM Para3 takeoff scales to replace them! And the M4 is excellent.
Tiquito

Post by Tiquito »

In the past I have seen the pictures of it and not personally found it to be terrible aesthetically pleasing. To be blunt some of them were ugly to me. I picked up the squid in D2 with coated blade and hardware. I like the squid and wanted one. I thought it was not bad looking. I just got the natural g10 Dodo. I figured if I hated it I could easily find it a loving home. When I got it, I found that the natural G10 and satin were much better looking to me in person than in the photos. I think black hardware and blades looks better with it but it’s not nearly as off putting as I hade previously thought. I kind of regret passing on the coated yojimbo now.

In terms of utility there is no issue with it. In terms of aesthetics as pocket jewelry, taste is totally subjective.
anycal

Post by anycal »

I like it a lot. At first I was open minded to dyeing them. Now I wouldn't think of it. It is a neutral, subtle color. I prefer it over other colors out there.

I will get another one when it comes in a model I want.

Peter