Classic Spyderco Folders In Larger Or Smaller Scale

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Classic Spyderco Folders In Larger Or Smaller Scale

Post by JD Spydo »

I've done a couple of threads in the past similar to this one but it's a subject that bears repeating>> concerning the possibility of larger scale or smaller scale Spyderco classic folders.. I can't tell you all over the years how many different Spyderco models I would have liked to have seen either a Smaller Scale or Larger Scale. And let's look at a couple of examples that Spyderco has done with some success. Take the Hawkbill blades for instance. When they did the Ladybug & Dragonfly Hawkbills >> both of those models had good success. Both new Hawkbill models did really well and it got a lot of people interested in Hawkbills that would probably never tried one otherwise.

One model for years I've just really wanted to see in a larger scale is the Dodo model. If you would take the Dodo model and make the blade about 1 inch longer and about 3/4ths of an inch wider it would be a completely different creature all together. And it would also make for a really serious hard work knife for hundreds of different jobs. One model I would really love to see in a smaller scale would be the C-60 Ayoob model. As ergonomically perfect as the original Ayoob model is I think a smaller scale version would be an excellent gentlemen's knife and a really handy small EDC. Those are just a couple of examples of how a smaller or larger scale classic could be.

Also to offer models in different size ranges in SE as well. A larger Dodo with teeth might just make for a perfect hard use, workers knife. I would love to hear any new suggestions in smaller and larger scale models you all have in mind.
steelcity16

Re: Classic Spyderco Folders In Larger Or Smaller Scale

Post by steelcity16 »

I want a smaller FRN LW Dodo. A Dodofly!

viewtopic.php?t=84079

I also want a Cricketfly, Jesterfly, and Workerfly!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I've been pushing the idea of a Skinny PM2 Lockback, mainly because I really like the idea of a 3.5" Police4.

Love the idea of the stretched out but just as thin Chaparral.

I still think a 3" Manix would be fun.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Because JD often supposes a bygone Spyderco Golden Age, I’m not sure what “Classic” would mean, especially as I detect no falling off in quality or design since the ‘00s (or 90s or ‘80s).

Or are we just talking models no longer in production so as to make way for newer ones.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:30 pm
Because JD often supposes a bygone Spyderco Golden Age, I’m not sure what “Classic” would mean, especially as I detect no falling off in quality or design since the ‘00s (or 90s or ‘80s).

Or are we just talking models no longer in production so as to make way for newer ones.
NO any model you think would benefit by a larger or smaller scale version. The reason I alluded to many of the older models was because I've been thinking about what could be done to give some of those older models a chance to see what they would be like in a larger or smaller scale version.

Sure many of the classic/older models would be prime for such a modification>> but what the heck there might be a model that's only a month released that might benefit as well.

A larger Dodo would be a multi-purpose folder that could do a lot of jobs really well. The Dodo in the size range it is might be limited in many jobs a larger one might do better. I hope that clears the air.
PStone

Post by PStone »

I wish for a larger size clipitool w/serrated blade. Literally just scale it up so it has a 4+” handle, and I’ll buy one like that. But if I’m wishing, I wish for it to be made in Golden, Co with a g10 handle, S30V blades, and the classic spoon clip. I am open to any lock style, even keeping it a slip joint.

Another wish would be for one made in Japan with a plain edge LC200N blade, and H-1 for the serrated. FRN scales. Any size.

Pic from Spyderco online catalogue for reference:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:58 pm
I wish for a larger size clipitool w/serrated blade. Literally just scale it up so it has a 4+” handle, and I’ll buy one like that. But if I’m wishing, I wish for it to be made in Golden, Co with a g10 handle, S30V blades, and the classic spoon clip. I am open to any lock style, even keeping it a slip joint.

Another wish would be for one made in Japan with a plain edge LC200N blade, and H-1 for the serrated. FRN scales. Any size.

Pic from Spyderco online catalogue for reference:
All that you said is certainly something to consider. I really like that idea of a Clipitool setup with LC200N and a serrated blade.

It seems like over the years that there have been many more models that I wanted bigger rather than smaller. And concerning the Clipitool>> I've often wondered why they never made a more conventional type Multi-tool with bigger hardware as well.

I'm still going to beat the drum for a larger scale Dodo no matter what they do.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:53 am

viewtopic.php?t=84079

The Dodofly has been on my dream list since we started talking about it!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:10 pm
steelcity16 wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=84079

When it comes to the Dodo I can go both ways. I would love a really smaller, serrated version myself. But I still say that a much bigger Dodo would be an awesome tool for a guy who uses a knife a lot in their work.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

abbazaba wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:58 am
I've been pushing the idea of a Skinny PM2 Lockback, mainly because I really like the idea of a 3.5" Police4.
Did you not see the straight spine stretch? It’s what you are looking for and it’s fantastic.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

SF Native wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:14 pm
abbazaba wrote:
Did you not see the straight spine stretch? It’s what you are looking for and it’s fantastic.
I have one and it's great. Not the same for my hand though.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:13 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:10 pm
steelcity16 wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=84079

When it comes to the Dodo I can go both ways. I would love a really smaller, serrated version myself. But I still say that a much bigger Dodo would be an awesome tool for a guy who uses a knife a lot in their work.
I personally feel that the standard Dodo is the largest I'd wanto. It really shines with a small blade and larger handle.

But, I would try any variation. Preferably SE.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

abbazaba wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:16 pm
SF Native wrote:
abbazaba wrote:
So, you want something like the ss stretch but with the handle contours of the pm2. I could see that.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd buy another Nilakka if it had about a 4 inch blade, especially if it came in something like 52100.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

SF Native wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:19 pm
abbazaba wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:16 pm
SF Native wrote:
abbazaba wrote:
So, you want something like the ss stretch but with the handle contours of the pm2. I could see that.
The concept behind the PM2 Skinny Backlock stemmed from the Manix Backlock with linerless G10. Instead of a thicker blade stock like the Manix BL, I'd love to see a thinner blade stock used (3mm or less) with thin linerless G10 handles on my favorite model, the PM2. Slicy, thin in pocket, those beloved PM2 ergos.

The Stretch SS is great, but feels completely different to me. I've also been working with Steve Butcher on an Endela mod to help make this idea come true, but there are limitations of what is possible using the Endela as the starting point.
glutofknives

Post by glutofknives »

Large spydiechef anyone? I think it would make a lot of sense.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

glutofknives wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:47 pm
Agreed!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Smaller Manix 2 with CBBL. I'd love a Native sized spydie with a CBBL.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

glutofknives wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:47 pm
Yeah I would go for that. I would even like to have a super huge version of the Rock Lobster as well.

I know some of you are going to think I've crossed the line but I would even like to have a really large version of the Spyderhawk too.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:06 pm
Smaller Manix 2 with CBBL. I'd love a Native sized spydie with a CBBL.
I've always liked everything about the Native>> Yeah I would love a Ball Bearing Lock for a NATIVE model>> and I would like a super large version of the Native with that lock as well.