Classic Spyderco Folders In Larger Or Smaller Scale

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: Classic Spyderco Folders In Larger Or Smaller Scale

Post by JD Spydo »

twinboysdad wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:51 am
Lil Ayoob. The original was a large knife, and not what edc size really dictates for most now. An Ayoob in Delica/Native size would be a way to put that great design in more hands. The Lil Matriarch is just getting the appropriate appreciation and really evolved into a better knife than the original. I think the same could happen with a more edc friendly Ayoob
I think you hit the nail directly on the head TBD ;) To make an Ayoob model on the same scale as the Rookie model was to the legendary Police model would be a dream EDC carry IMO.

With that said I'm still surprised that the Rookie Model never gained any real momentum. I think the Rookie kind of fell victim to the fact that there were so many super-classic Spyderco models when it was introduced that it just couldn't get the numbers it needed.

Another example of that was the C-54 Calypso model>> it was a super awesome design but it was also overshadowed with at least 6 to 8 super selling models when it came out.

But an Ayoob model on the same or similar scale as the Rookie model would just be really cool.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:52 am
twinboysdad wrote:
Lil Ayoob. The original was a large knife, and not what edc size really dictates for most now. An Ayoob in Delica/Native size would be a way to put that great design in more hands. The Lil Matriarch is just getting the appropriate appreciation and really evolved into a better knife than the original. I think the same could happen with a more edc friendly Ayoob
I think you hit the nail directly on the head TBD ;) To make an Ayoob model on the same scale as the Rookie model was to the legendary Police model would be a dream EDC carry IMO.

With that said I'm still surprised that the Rookie Model never gained any real momentum. I think the Rookie kind of fell victim to the fact that there were so many super-classic Spyderco models when it was introduced that it just couldn't get the numbers it needed.

Another example of that was the C-54 Calypso model>> it was a super awesome design but it was also overshadowed with at least 6 to 8 super selling models when it came out.

But an Ayoob model on the same or similar scale as the Rookie model would just be really cool.
I really love the Rookie model and would absolutely like to see a sprint run of the Rookie.

I've been campaigning for a long time now for a Rookie Sprint run in K390 to compliment its big brother the Police 4! :spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

I know I'm not the only one who would like to see a "Lil Stretch" model with a blade just a hair under 3" -- both for ease of carry and to meet the legal requirements some places have. The drop-point version of the UKPK is close, but of course the UKPK doesn't lock.

A somewhat similar but different knife would be a larger (again, about 3" blade) version of the Jester.

I personally like choils on knives, so I'd prefer a smaller Stretch over a larger Jester. But I'd take either if they existed.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

I want another Tatanka sized folder.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

rangefinder wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:33 pm
I know I'm not the only one who would like to see a "Lil Stretch" model with a blade just a hair under 3" -- both for ease of carry and to meet the legal requirements some places have. The drop-point version of the UKPK is close, but of course the UKPK doesn't lock.

A somewhat similar but different knife would be a larger (again, about 3" blade) version of the Jester.

I personally like choils on knives, so I'd prefer a smaller Stretch over a larger Jester. But I'd take either if they existed.
Oh man, a 3” straight spine stretch would be awesome. Count me in. Loving the ss stretch. 3” would add that extra level of legality and pocket friendliness like the para3. Need this.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Wanimator wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:21 pm
I was thinking the other day how cool it would be to have either Jess Horn model or a Howard Viele model in that size range of the Tatanka.

I also want to see a super sized Spyderhawk as well.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SF Native wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:01 am
rangefinder wrote:

Oh man, a 3” straight spine stretch would be awesome. Count me in. Loving the ss stretch. 3” would add that extra level of legality and pocket friendliness like the para3. Need this.
Totally grant you that model, but tbh I don´t think the Stretchs great ergos would work anymore if scaled down... would be a different knife, and probably meant to be always held with one finger in the choil at least for somewhat bigger hands - ?!
Last edited by Wartstein on Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Wanimator wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:21 pm
I would like to go to extremes. If you all remember the JESTER which was in the size range of the Ladybug model. I always thought the the blade design of the JESTER had nice ergos. So I would like to see a Tatanka sized version of the JESTER.

However my highest priority would be to see a super-sized version of the DODO model. Or maybe take the CRICKET model up to the same size as the Tatanka.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I'd love a Dragonfly scaled up to accommodate a 3" blade. ZDP-189 and British racing green, please.

I know some feel like the Delica can't possibly be improved upon, and nothing against that knife, but I just prefer the Dragonfly and would love a larger version.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

SF Native wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:01 am
rangefinder wrote:

I also support the 3" SS Stretch. This came up in the Stretched Stretch thread the other day as well.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:03 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:

I really love the Rookie model and would absolutely like to see a sprint run of the Rookie.

I've been campaigning for a long time now for a Rookie Sprint run in K390 to compliment its big brother the Police 4! :spyder:
Please help me here??? I thought that the Rookie was basically a smaller scale version of the POLICE model? So are you saying that you would want either a smaller version of the ROOKIE or a larger version?

I've thought for a long time that the ROOKIE is about the absolute perfect size and scale for an EDC for most people ( especially non-knife people).

Or are you wanting a ROOKIE that exceeds the size of the Tatanka? Or are you just wanting a new revamped, super improved version?
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:38 am
Mushroom wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:

Please help me here??? I thought that the Rookie was basically a smaller scale version of the POLICE model? So are you saying that you would want either a smaller version of the ROOKIE or a larger version?

I've thought for a long time that the ROOKIE is about the absolute perfect size and scale for an EDC for most people ( especially non-knife people).

Or are you wanting a ROOKIE that exceeds the size of the Tatanka? Or are you just wanting a new revamped, super improved version?
I'm saying I would want a new revamped Rookie model with more modern materials. As you said, it's already a great example of a "smaller version" of a classic Spyderco.

:spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
archangel

Post by archangel »

Lil' Para 3.... ;)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:45 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:38 am
Mushroom wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

I'm saying I would want a new revamped Rookie model with more modern materials. As you said, it's already a great example of a "smaller version" of a classic Spyderco.

:spyder:
I too would like a super deluxe version of the Rookie>> try a polished Micarta handle similar to the one on the original STREETBEAT model>> and probably one of the newer nitrogen based blade steels like Vancron Superclean or something else in that league.

I used to have one of the original ROOKIE models in full SE>> the only smaller Spyder I ever had in full SE that was a better cutter than the SE ROOKIE was my 440V full SE NATIVE model.

But this talk of the ROOKIE has made me think of what a bigger sized POLICE model might be like.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

archangel wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:47 am
Lil' Para 3.... ;)
Are you thinking of taking the Para3 in the size range of a MEERKAT model? To me the PARA3 is already too small for what I would use it for. But it might be a great idea to have a smaller scale GOLDEN made model of some type.
archangel

Post by archangel »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:58 am
archangel wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:47 am
Lil' Para 3.... ;)
Are you thinking of taking the Para3 in the size range of a MEERKAT model? To me the PARA3 is already too small for what I would use it for. But it might be a great idea to have a smaller scale GOLDEN made model of some type.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85276
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...