Classic Spyderco Folders In Larger Or Smaller Scale

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BornIn1500

Re: Classic Spyderco Folders In Larger Or Smaller Scale

Post by BornIn1500 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:47 am
Take the Hawkbill blades for instance. When they did the Ladybug & Dragonfly Hawkbills >> both of those models had good success. Both new Hawkbill models did really well
I don't know anything about the sales, but I have to ask what metric you're using to say they're a success. Did Sal say they're selling very well? Are retailers selling out? I mean, cause there are cases like the Polestar where people here like it but Sal says sales are slow.
geronm042

Post by geronm042 »

Caribbeanfly for me please
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Chaparral XL (Endela/ Stretch size, keeping the 2mm bladestock)!
See this poll for example: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82492&p=1295580#p1295580
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:13 am
I know some of you are going to think I've crossed the line but I would even like to have a really large version of the Spyderhawk too.
Nope, I've really wanted this as well! 4" or so blade with G-10, steel liners (a la Manix2 xl) no choil, just the index finger grip and pinky stop. This is crude but gives an idea:
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:23 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:13 am
I know some of you are going to think I've crossed the line but I would even like to have a really large version of the Spyderhawk too.
Nope, I've really wanted this as well! 4" or so blade with G-10, steel liners (a la Manix2 xl) no choil, just the index finger grip and pinky stop. This is crude but gives an idea:
Amen Brother!!! I've even got a name that they could title it with. They could call it either the "CondorHawk" or the Pterodactyl-Hawk :D

But a huge Hawkbill folder in the size range of the Tatanka would be an awesome addition to Spyderco's great Hawkbill line up.

I'm also still beating the drums for a fixed blade Hawkbill but that's another thread for another time.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:49 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:47 am
Take the Hawkbill blades for instance. When they did the Ladybug & Dragonfly Hawkbills >> both of those models had good success. Both new Hawkbill models did really well
I don't know anything about the sales, but I have to ask what metric you're using to say they're a success. Did Sal say they're selling very well? Are retailers selling out? I mean, cause there are cases like the Polestar where people here like it but Sal says sales are slow.
Well I'm not exactly sure of what is on the sales charts to be truthful. But with just all the talk and fanfare I've heard on at least 4 forums I check out and the rising popularity of Hawkbills in general over the past 5 years. And knowing Spyderco and how they go about selecting what is sold in their main line up they don't keep slow sellers very long in their main line up. To be hearing so many say that they've bought these two smaller Hawkbills in the past 2 years indicates to me that they must be selling well.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Make all the big things little!

Make all the small things big!

Make all the medium things littler and bigger!

I love the knife community but we have some major Goldilocks issues.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Monty

Post by Monty »

Not a folder but I wouldn't mind the Waterway getting a longer blade version for filleting.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I know we've been talking mainly about folders up till now but I do have a fixed blade I would like to see in a larger scale. The Fred Perrin Street Bowie would be so awesome and fearsome if Spyderco would make a one in a bigger scale. Something close to the size of one of the Cold Steels "Trailmaster" bowie. A really big Perrin Street Bowie would actually put a Cold Steel Trailmaster to shame. And that's saying a lot because the Trailmaster Bowie of Cold Steel's is a pretty nice large Bowie.

Really just consider how well the Perrin STREETBEAT did. And it's basically just a smaller version of the Perrin Street Bowie.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

XL Dragonfly for me.Or better yet,a fixed blade version of it.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:37 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:30 pm
Because JD often supposes a bygone Spyderco Golden Age, I’m not sure what “Classic” would mean, especially as I detect no falling off in quality or design since the ‘00s (or 90s or ‘80s).

Or are we just talking models no longer in production so as to make way for newer ones.
NO any model you think would benefit by a larger or smaller scale version. The reason I alluded to many of the older models was because I've been thinking about what could be done to give some of those older models a chance to see what they would be like in a larger or smaller scale version.
Ah, in that case, I don’t really want larger or smaller versions.

But in original size and in today’s steel/scale options, I’m now ready for a Massad Ayoob (which you keep taunting us with) and a Breeden Captain (SE on the reverse curve).
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

I'm already getting my wish come true with the forthcoming lil Chokwe, and I am also hoping the 3" Kapara slippie will make it into production :D
~andrew
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:31 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:37 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:30 pm
Because JD often supposes a bygone Spyderco Golden Age, I’m not sure what “Classic” would mean, especially as I detect no falling off in quality or design since the ‘00s (or 90s or ‘80s).

Or are we just talking models no longer in production so as to make way for newer ones.
NO any model you think would benefit by a larger or smaller scale version. The reason I alluded to many of the older models was because I've been thinking about what could be done to give some of those older models a chance to see what they would be like in a larger or smaller scale version.
Ah, in that case, I don’t really want larger or smaller versions.

But in original size and in today’s steel/scale options, I’m now ready for a Massad Ayoob (which you keep taunting us with) and a Breeden Captain (SE on the reverse curve).
And I ain't going to quit taunting everyone ( Sal included :D ) about the hopeful resurrection of the C-60 Ayoob model. Not only do I want it to return but in a new blade steel as well. I've given a lot of thought for a smaller version of the C-60 Ayoob model.

The Breeden Captain just needs some teeth on the inner arch and it will sell 4 times as good as the PE version did. If I were to want a size change for the C-111 Captain it would be a much bigger version with teeth on it too.
Ruudr

Post by Ruudr »

A Mini Para3 LW!! Yesterday I made a plastic/foam Para3 for my 2 year old son. It should be a 1:1 scale version but it came smaller out of the printer. Turned out it is an awesome edc sized blade for me. I know it’s not for everyone but which knife is?!
I really like the size. It is a 3 finger grip. And feels just right.

I made some comparison pictures next to the Para3 K390 the Drunken and a Victorinox.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Ruudr wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:00 pm
A Mini Para3 LW!! Yesterday I made a plastic/foam Para3 for my 2 year old son. It should be a 1:1 scale version but it came smaller out of the printer.
Interesting>> because when they came out with the Rookie model in the late 90s it was essentially a smaller scale POLICE model for all intent and purposes. And I can tell you that I've never talked to anyone who owned or used a ROOKIE that didn't have anything but good to say about that model.

I once did a thread in which I asked people what they thought would be the most perfect Spyderco model to be the absolute perfect EDC>> the ROOKIE model came up more than any other at that time.

They ought to do a small scale MILITARY model and call it the "Cadet" or something like it.
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

Ikuchi Magnum please!!! (**** I love the Ikuchi)
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Spyderco puts a lot of emphasis on ergonomics and design. We haven't seen Spyderco take a model and simply scale it up or down to a new size for a reason. It's lazy design and throws any consideration for ergonomics out the window. I, for one, am glad we haven't seen Spyderco do this.

I've always assumed this is why the Para 3, for all intents and purposes, is just a bobbed down Paramilitary 2. People were requesting a smaller PM2; so while maintaining the ergonomics that everyone loved from the PM2, they gave us exactly what we wanted! :D A lot of people don't realize but the Lil Native was done in the same way. It maintains nearly the same ergonomics as the Native 5 in the pivot end of the knife. (choil/spine)

Had Spyderco just taken the PM2 and scaled it down say 30%, it would have changed the ergonomics dramatically, and I suspect it would have lead to many upset fans.

:spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I'd love to see a 4 inch Yojimbo 2 in something like M390 as part of the regular run.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
normal

Post by normal »

I just want part of an existing knife smaller. I would love a Military with about an inch off of the handle. 4" blade and 5.5" handle just does not work for me. And make it tip up carry of course.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Lil Ayoob. The original was a large knife, and not what edc size really dictates for most now. An Ayoob in Delica/Native size would be a way to put that great design in more hands. The Lil Matriarch is just getting the appropriate appreciation and really evolved into a better knife than the original. I think the same could happen with a more edc friendly Ayoob