Who else wants a SE Lil'Matriarch Salt in H1 ?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Browncoat

Re: Who else wants a SE Lil'Matriarch Salt in H1 ?!

Post by Browncoat »

Yes please!
That is precisely what I want, I'll take at least 2.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

BUMP

I'd be all in on a Li'l Matriarch SE in H1 (preferably with a blacked out TiCN option). I suppose it should have skeletonized liners for additional rigidity in keeping with the "defensive knife" ethos of the original Matriarch, but I'd be okay with a linerless design similar to the Tasman Salt 2 as well (especially if it means reducing production cost).
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

I recently bought a PE Lil'Matriarch and it has proven to be an excellent EDC capable of a variety of tasks. BLL (Bottom Line Last): I WOULD purchase a pair. :D :D
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
Browncoat

Post by Browncoat »

I had a pe lil' matriarch for a while before losing it. It was my favorite blade at the time and was always in my pocket. I have a serrated one now and I have to say, it's gorram awesome. It finds it's way into my pocket probably more than any knife (other than my keychain jester). The lil' matriarch in the salt platform would probably be my only knife with a back up.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

I still want one (or a few)!

Haven't sharpened this guy in about a month and it's still sharp even after breaking down at least a hundred boxes.

-Turbo
Browncoat

Post by Browncoat »

I like it! I've been thinking of a similar set-up.
That lil' matriarch look beautiful Turbo!
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

BUMP!!!

I'll take 'em in any steel...just bring 'em back! :spyder:
-Turbo
Tiquito

Post by Tiquito »

I have a matriarch. I have a serrated H1 pacific salt that I have been carrying more often than anything else lately. I would be interested in a serrated lil matriarch. As to steel. I’d leave it to the expert but I have been happy with my Serrated H1. The ease of maintenance on the Pac Salt is a big reason why it’s getting so much pocket time. I personally would probably like the option for an Emerson opener like on the matriarch.
max808

Post by max808 »

bbturbodad wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:55 pm
BUMP!!!

I'll take 'em in any steel...just bring 'em back! :spyder:
+1
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:25 pm
I may have missed the discussion, but does the reverse "s" provide any particular benefit over a normal hawkbill?
I found the Lil Matriarch / Cricket style 'shallow reverse S' to be way more useful then the regular hawkbill.

With a regular Hawk, almost all cuts are initiated with the point. And theres little ability to do 'slicing' on a flat surface with anything but the tip.

With the Shallow S, you can start the cut with the tip - but you can also use the pronounced belly of the S to do the slice as well. Especially with Serrated, this really opens up the whole blade length for utility work.

And for defensive work, unlike the Matriarch/Civilian, the Lil Matriarch has a shallow enough curve on the tip that it can also be used for thrusting.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Yes yes yes!

Lc200n! Do it now!
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Seems like this blade profile would greatly benefit from a very tough steel like LC200N, H1, or AEB-L. I have no need for one, but I am interested to see if this goes anywhere.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:51 pm
Hi Jim,

We probably wouldn't make both H1 and LC.

sal

Are you thinking of doing either yet? This is on my short list. An Endela sized version could be cool too as the Endela is my preferred carry. SE + jimping + boye dent would make this a fantastic little knife.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i've said for the last couple of years that the matriarch 2 wave would be a perfect knife for h1.

self defense knives need to always be ready. that means low maintenance and in a spot that is repeatable no matter what you're wearing. for me, that means iwb because not all shorts have pockets that will support a good sized knife. iwb means it's more prone to get sweaty and h1 would work well for that. on you all the time means even in water, which h1 is designed for.

these reverse s blades typically come with warnings about tip stability. what other steel has the proven toughness we've seen from h1? h1 has also proven to be great when serrated, which is another desired design element for this type of blade. the design would greatly benefit from h1.

h1 is already at seki along with all the other parts needed to make the matriarch 2 a salt series knife. all that's needed is to stamp out the matriarch 2 blade from h1 and put it in a pacific salt 2 handle and viola, you've got yourself a self defense blade that will never rust, is easy to sharpen, has the added benefit of extreme toughness, and will always be ready if needed.

sorry if this is derailing... i know the thread is about a lil matriarch. i think the same points apply though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

mark greenman wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:17 am
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
I may have missed the discussion, but does the reverse "s" provide any particular benefit over a normal hawkbill?
I found the Lil Matriarch / Cricket style 'shallow reverse S' to be way more useful then the regular hawkbill.

With a regular Hawk, almost all cuts are initiated with the point. And theres little ability to do 'slicing' on a flat surface with anything but the tip.

With the Shallow S, you can start the cut with the tip - but you can also use the pronounced belly of the S to do the slice as well. Especially with Serrated, this really opens up the whole blade length for utility work.

And for defensive work, unlike the Matriarch/Civilian, the Lil Matriarch has a shallow enough curve on the tip that it can also be used for thrusting.

It does seem more versatile than a typical hawkbill.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I've always wanted one. I would get one if it was Salty.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Endela size might be perfect.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

mark greenman wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:17 am
PeaceInOurTime wrote:

I completely agree. Carrying a regular Hawkbill feels like I'm walking around with a gardening tool and for most general purpose tasks leave most of the blade unused. A shallow Reverse S is much more versatile.

And yes we still need a Salt Lil Matriarch so I can keep using it for fishing without having to worry about wiping it down when I'm done with lunch. :p

-Turbo
James Y

Post by James Y »

I do feel that an S-curve blade like the Li’l Matriarch would be more useful (for me) than a hawkbill, even though I like hawkbills. A Delica-sized one would probably be near-perfect to try out the pattern. I did have an ATS-55 SE Cricket about 20 years ago, but it never felt ergonomic in my hand.

I have used a recurved blade pattern with the exact opposite ‘S’-shaped edge than the Matriarch/Cricket, on my old Benchmade 710 knives. It would be interesting to see how a Li’l Matriarch would fare in utility uses.

Jim
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

BUMP!!!
-Turbo