Why the lack of Elmax options -- are any on the horizon?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: Why the lack of Elmax options -- are any on the horizon?

Post by steelcity16 »

Where does AEB-L stack against Elmax, CPM-154, and S45VN as far as a "tough" stainless blade?
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Elmax got a bad name early on kind of like S30V did. There is quite a bit of drama around the whole ordeal and some of the myths/lies that were circulated then still persist today. It was ZTs go to steel and I think they moved away from it partly due to consumer perception. Now it has been passed over by other steels and is just getting left behind. It isn’t great and it isn’t bad. It is just another average stainless steel by today’s standards.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:54 pm
Elmax got a bad name early on kind of like S30V did. There is quite a bit of drama around the whole ordeal and some of the myths/lies that were circulated then still persist today. It was ZTs go to steel and I think they moved away from it partly due to consumer perception. Now it has been passed over by other steels and is just getting left behind. It isn’t great and it isn’t bad. It is just another average stainless steel by today’s standards.
Cost and availability more than anything.

Just like why cold steel switched from xhp to s35vn.

These companies buy by the lbs/kg and need lots of it. If the schedule of getting the steel doesn't meet the production schedule than that is problematic.

Elmax costs more per lbs/kg and is an import, and is less available massive quantities compared to S30v/s35vn so it's fairly straightforward why we don't see much here in the US.

Meanwhile in Europe, there is a thread like this one in another language asking about why they don't see more Crucible Brand CPM stainless Steels xD
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:03 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:

These companies buy by the lbs/kg and need lots of it. If the schedule of getting the steel doesn't meet the production schedule than that is problematic.

Elmax costs more per lbs/kg and is an import, and is less available massive quantities compared to S30v/s35vn so it's fairly straightforward why we don't see much here in the US.

Meanwhile in Europe, there is a thread like this one in another language asking about why they don't see more Crucible Brand CPM stainless Steels xD
I agree that importing Elmax is a factor but there doesn’t seem to be much of an issue with availability of M390 so I think that there are also other factors at play.

Bladeforums has many many threads going back years about Elmax and ZT and even now in 2019 a thread pops up now and again asking the same old questions. Much like S30V it had/has a stigma that just doesn’t seem to fade away. Again, I don’t think this is the only reason but I just wanted to add another piece of the puzzle. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I don't have any Elmax and would like to get some. I've been waiting for a second release of the BBS Elmax PM2. I would jump on a Delica Elmax; would have to get two of these.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Elmax is a good steel, but I like M390 better. I wouldn't pay a tariff premium for either since domestically produced CPM 20CV and CTS 204P are available.

I would pay a premium for a Sage 2 Salt with a Vanax Blade. A Native 5 Salt with fluted Ti handles and Vanax blade would be a neat alternative. I'd settle for Native 5 LW Salt with a Vanax blade and still pay a premium for that.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I would like an Urban in Elmax, but truthfully the only thing this steel has going for it is a cool moniker.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I think the “grass is greener” adage applies here. Whether Elmax is great or not, just wanting and having it is enough for the steel-curious.

But, because the steel is so indifferent, Elmax PM2 owners ought to be dumping theirs...
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:38 pm
I would like an Urban in Elmax, but truthfully the only thing this steel has going for it is a cool moniker.
Isn't that something that was already done?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:19 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
That model was a British Blades-exclusive (members-only exclusive, if I’m not mistaken). I was lucky to find a Collectors Club version; I have yet to see a non-CC version on the market...
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:19 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:03 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:

I agree that importing Elmax is a factor but there doesn’t seem to be much of an issue with availability of M390 so I think that there are also other factors at play.

Bladeforums has many many threads going back years about Elmax and ZT and even now in 2019 a thread pops up now and again asking the same old questions. Much like S30V it had/has a stigma that just doesn’t seem to fade away. Again, I don’t think this is the only reason but I just wanted to add another piece of the puzzle. ;)

Was the same story as S30V, issues with the HT in some production knives until they got it nailed down.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:44 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
That model was a British Blades-exclusive (members-only exclusive, if I’m not mistaken). I was lucky to find a Collectors Club version; I have yet to see a non-CC version on the market...
I remember seeing them on eBay for a while. Someone had a bunch on there--maybe British Blades ended up with extras?
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

In my opinion, there are better steels, BUT everyone has different preferences, and for some, Elmax is that perfect, "Goldilocks" steel. To each their own.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

TomAiello wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
I see wrdwght beat me to it. I would not mind at all to have a Sprint Run for the rest of us. Of course M390 would be even better.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

I recently started carrying a ZT knife with Elmax, I like it quite a bit. Some of the qualities I like, keen edge, takes a polish, good edge stability I also find in steels like CTS-XHP and CPM-20CV or M390. With other steels out there I like better (K390) I would not gravitate to elmax because of the steel alone but I would not shy away from it either.

I have a question about the "toughness" of elmax. I thought I have seen studies that its impact toughness is not much higher than D2. I don't want to perpetuate myths but I also have not found much info.
jasonstone20

Post by jasonstone20 »

I wonder which mid-high carbide steel (CPM 154 CM, CTS XHP, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, ELMAX) is the easiest steel to get a good production HT of around 60-62 HRC, closer to 61-62HRC if possible.
"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)"
--Shawn Houston

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"Life is GOOD!"
--Stefan Wolf, May his memory be a blessing

--Ken Schwartz, May his memory be a blessing

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
jasonstone20

Post by jasonstone20 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:52 pm
Where does AEB-L stack against Elmax, CPM-154, and S45VN as far as a "tough" stainless blade?
AEB-L is far tougher than any of those steels you listed, since it has a lower carbide volume, while the others have a pretty high carbide volume. Toughness is overrated as a necessary quality for a pocket knife.
"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)"
--Shawn Houston

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"Life is GOOD!"
--Stefan Wolf, May his memory be a blessing

--Ken Schwartz, May his memory be a blessing

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
mugwump867

Post by mugwump867 »

olywa wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:42 am
I feel the love for Elmax in small to medium fixed blades. It's been an outstanding performer for me in those configurations. Takes a screaming sharp edge without too much effort and holds it well. My latest is a Bradford Guardian 4.5 FFG and it really hits the sweet spot for a general purpose woods/camping/outdoor knife. Don't know that I'd go out of my way for it in a folder though. There's plenty of other choices that work well.
Same here. I have a few small fixed blades in Elmax and I really like the edge retention on them but I feel like that scratches my Elmax itch just fine and wouldn't go chasing a folder or even a larger fixie in that steel. It's funny how you can start to categorize specific steels as belonging to particular knife categories based solely on your own usage patterns.