C95 Manix Sprint

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: C95 Manix Sprint

Post by steelcity16 »

Pancake wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:35 pm
I could be very wrong, but there is size difference between puny Dodo or Delica and C95....and I am not sure if there is market that wide for sprint run/exclusive of knife this big and hefty. Heck, even Shaman or PM2 looks small compared to C95.

10's of thousands of big hefty fixed blades have been sold. Many of those buyers would flock over here in droves for a 3V-carta beast like the C95.

I'm with you in general. On it own merits, the standard C95 in black S30V has a limited market just like the current Manix XL due to the size. But if you pair this model with a steel (3V or Cruwear) and a scale material (Micarta) that make sense for the design, you will have a winning combo. We saw this with the Shaman, which went from a lukewarm S30V release to an absolute feeding frenzy in Cru-carta.

If I had the coin I would absolutely commission a 3V-carta C95 exclusive, and I would go all in with a run of 1,200. 600 Satin and 600 DLC. And I would sleep like a baby dreaming of what model to do next with the profits from my 30 second sellout. :)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Steelcity, I agree that some unusual combination like 4V, Cru-Wear and micarta could raise some interest.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
vivi

Post by vivi »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:55 pm
Pancake wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:35 pm
I could be very wrong, but there is size difference between puny Dodo or Delica and C95....and I am not sure if there is market that wide for sprint run/exclusive of knife this big and hefty. Heck, even Shaman or PM2 looks small compared to C95.

10's of thousands of big hefty fixed blades have been sold. Many of those buyers would flock over here in droves for a 3V-carta beast like the C95.

I'm with you in general. On it own merits, the standard C95 in black S30V has a limited market just like the current Manix XL due to the size. But if you pair this model with a steel (3V or Cruwear) and a scale material (Micarta) that make sense for the design, you will have a winning combo. We saw this with the Shaman, which went from a lukewarm S30V release to an absolute feeding frenzy in Cru-carta.

If I had the coin I would absolutely commission a 3V-carta C95 exclusive, and I would go all in with a run of 1,200. 600 Satin and 600 DLC. And I would sleep like a baby dreaming of what model to do next with the profits from my 30 second sellout. :)
The C95 wasn't much bigger or heavier than the Shaman. I agree that a run in similar materials as the crucarta shaman would sell fast.
:unicorn
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Damm you guys! You are making me think about C95 more and more! If it one day comes back and I had to buy it it will be all your fault!!!
:D
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

You're welcome!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Well, I'm putting my money where my mouth is. I made my first ebay account to hunt down a C95. Whenever I get one I'll make a C95 vs XL observations thread. I traded my last C95 before buying my first XL, so I've never gotten to compare them side by side.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Good luck Vivi. I am looking for for the comparison.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I still have my C95, but I couldn't force myself to buy an XL, even at Seconds Sale prices. Threw one in my basket a couple of sales back, got over to the side, opened it and held it for about 2 seconds and sent it back to the tables.
vivi

Post by vivi »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:11 pm
I still have my C95, but I couldn't force myself to buy an XL, even at Seconds Sale prices. Threw one in my basket a couple of sales back, got over to the side, opened it and held it for about 2 seconds and sent it back to the tables.
What kept you away from the model? All the jimping on the handle, or not a big fan of the CBBL?
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

My one and only Manix 2 non-lightweight is a Sprint run S90V/CF. I took a belt sander to it and ground all the teeth on the liners down to the level of the scales. I appreciate a knife I can use while wearing gloves. A knife that I need work gloves to protect my hand from the knife handle is simply not acceptable to me. As soon as I opened that XL and felt all those teeth chewing on my hand I said "Nope" and tossed it back. That handle shape doesn't need jimping, and I don't need yet another knife that I have to modify just to make it usable.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Pancake wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:11 am
4 mm stock thickness is just...uh...oh....why.... Medford...meh

And improve pocket clip placement, put it on the end of scale.
I'm sure it'll have lots of distal taper unlike Medord which are sharpened bar stock.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:42 am
Pancake wrote:

I'm sure it'll have lots of distal taper unlike Medord which are sharpened bar stock.
I remember a thread on BF where people were saying that they cut ok 😂😂

I strongly agree with yablanowitz, Manix 2 XL doesn't need handle jimping, that U shape handle is not going to slip out of your hand no matter how sweaty it greasy your hand is.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Pancake wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:22 am
Evil D wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:42 am
Pancake wrote:

I remember a thread on BF where people were saying that they cut ok 😂😂

I strongly agree with yablanowitz, Manix 2 XL doesn't need handle jimping, that U shape handle is not going to slip out of your hand no matter how sweaty it greasy your hand is.

Yeah I like jimping in some places on some knives but I don't see any iteration of the Manix needing it anywhere but maybe on the thumb ramp. I think it came at a time when the whole tacti-cool trend was ramping up and it seemed like a great idea but as you said the ergonomics are strong enough to lock your hand in place without excessive jimping.
~David
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:46 am
Yeah I like jimping in some places on some knives but I don't see any iteration of the Manix needing it anywhere but maybe on the thumb ramp. I think it came at a time when the whole tacti-cool trend was ramping up and it seemed like a great idea but as you said the ergonomics are strong enough to lock your hand in place without excessive jimping.
Jimping on spine (thumb ramp) and on choil and that´s it.
One day in 2020 I´ll get Manix 2 XL and when I get I am goint to remove all the jimping from the handle.....Unless Retro C95 shows :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Pancake wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:44 am
Evil D wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:46 am
Jimping on spine (thumb ramp) and on choil and that´s it.
One day in 2020 I´ll get Manix 2 XL and when I get I am goint to remove all the jimping from the handle.....Unless Retro C95 shows :D

I've already done that on my Manix 2 and it makes it a much nicer knife to use. Even with the jimping just ground down flush there is still some grip there when you squeeze but it feels much nicer in your hand.

~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

That's one reason I prefer the DLC model. I hate the jimping and its why I sold my first two satin finished XL's, but the jimping feels a little softer on the coated liners.
vivi

Post by vivi »

This NEEDS to come back! I have never felt a backlock that's as impressive and sturdy as the C95.

The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

This NEEDS to come back! I have never felt a backlock that's as impressive and sturdy as the C95.
I'm in agreement with you. It's an impressive knife to be sure. I still have mine but as it's a CE I don't carry it much but I haven't wanted to get rid of it either. I do like that large leaf type blade for a lot of uses and the lock itself will last forever if it isn't destroyed by choice or chance.

Joe
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The Mastiff wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:58 pm
I'm in agreement with you. It's an impressive knife to be sure. I still have mine but as it's a CE I don't carry it much but I haven't wanted to get rid of it either. I do like that large leaf type blade for a lot of uses and the lock itself will last forever if it isn't destroyed by choice or chance.

Joe

I've held off trying to track one down for the past 2 years in hopes of a return. This REALLY NEEDS to come back in 3V or Cruwear, preferably with OD Green Micarta. Half of the run in DLC for Vivi! I'll buy one of each!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

bump.

if jd can get the ayoob brought back, maybe if I'm persistent this will see the light of day.

think it'd be best to just run the big boy version, or do a matching set of the regular and mini sizes? collectors would dig that, and people that prefer the smaller version.

I'd love to see this is dlc 4v or m4!