C95 Manix Sprint

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pancake

Re: C95 Manix Sprint

Post by Pancake »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:41 pm
Hmm, funny thing is that I have been eyeing on Manix 2 XL for a week or so......never had a CBBL and I kinda want to try it out.
But basically the same knife with backlock.... yeah, that's sounds nice.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I remember when the original Manix came out people over on Bladeforums were comparing it to the Sebenza in terms of fit & finish.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I’d be very interested. I’d want OD green G10 and K390.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:25 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:11 am
Vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:00 am
I neither had this model, nor the Manix XL, but just looking at their specs I´d honestly prefer a sprint (Micarta!) of the latter: Same closed length, but the XL offers a bit more cutting edge, is lighter and has a thinner blade (the 4mm of the C95 are really thick imho)

Is there anything that makes you prefer the C95 over the XL? Honest question,since as said I have no experience with either knife.
- The lack of jimping on the choil and handle

- While the CBBL XL is a great knife I still prefer the lockback

- Better ergonomics. That extra width in the handle to accomodate the 4mm works really well with the overall handle design.

- Easier to take apart and put back together

- It isn't open back construction. I prefer that because if I toss the knife in a pack or deep in a pocket, less chance something will ding up the edge.

None of this is to say the current XL model is a bad knife. I've owned a few of them and I love them, especially the DLC model. But like how you appreciate the Stretch 2 but prefer the Stretch 1, that's how I feel about the Manix.
Pancake wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:11 am
Don´t know how I could have not think of the backlock.. like you, I like the CBBL, but still it is just second behind a good backlock. So that´s definitely a plus for the C95.

I also prefer closed back over open back. Never even thought of your point, that stuff could "ding up the edge" with an open back (never happened to me I think, but then I almost exclusivly carry (closed back) backlock knives), but I think a closed back is by design sligthly more comfortable in hand (I mean, no one would design a comfortable fixed blade handle and deliberately put a gap on the whole back of the handle).

And it´s true that a thick blade still can be very slicey, if is tall enough (like it is with the Shaman). Still I´d prefer 3mm over 4mm, 3 mm is thick enough for anything a folder can handle anyway and makes the knife lighter. In order to make the handle thicker, I´d rather see thicker G10 (FRN..) slabs, like it is on the Stretch 2 compared to the Stretch 1.

(Btw and offf topic: Since I got my Straight Spine Stretch I redisvovered the ergos of the Stretch 2, and realized for the first time that they are really even better than the already great ones on the Stretch 1. Not so sure anymore, if I really prefer the Stretch 1 over the Stretch 2. Certainly in blade to handle ratio and footprint in the pocket, but certainly not in ergos...)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I doubt the C95 will find enough interest these days, given trends toward weight- and size-reduction.

Much as I love the foliage-green C95 sprint that I was lucky to find a few years ago, I think the comparable Shaman is now the more compelling carry, even for those who prefer a midlock’s obvious advantages.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I'd be interested. Even though the original C95 was a brick in the pocket, I carried and used it for a while before the Military took over. The thick stock didn't bother me since the grind was reasonably thin and the blade was wide enough to prevent the wedgyness one typically sees. If memory serves, someone ran a side-by-side with a Strider and a Sebenza, and the Manix out-performed both.

Best of all, I wouldn't have to grind off all those teeth on the liners to keep it from eating my hand ( the main reason I don't own an XL). The Shaman would be okay if it weren't for the comp lock, but I like the ergonomics of the C95 better.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:41 am

I doubt the C95 will find enough interest these days, given trends toward weight- and size-reduction.

Much as I love the foliage-green C95 sprint that I was lucky to find a few years ago, I think the comparable Shaman is now the more compelling carry, even for those who prefer a midlock’s obvious advantages.

It only needs to find enough interest to sell a sprint run of 1,200 or even as few as 600. I'm 100% certain that a 3V-carta version would have much more demand than either of these figures.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:57 am
wrdwrght wrote:

It only needs to find enough interest to sell a sprint run of 1,200 or even as few as 600. I'm 100% certain that a 3V-carta version would have much more demand than either of these figures.
I count myself among the people who would buy a C95 sprint if it materializes in an unusual (and uncoated/unlaminated) steel. 3V-carta sounds good. But I don’t think there are enough buyers to warrant much hope.

Even old-timers like Yablanowitz migrated away from a C95 to carry something lighter. I suspect the “Mini-Manix” (which one day I’ll get) was meant to lighten the load, and the Manix2 even more so.

I fondle my C95 because it feels so good in the hand, but I’ve carried the beast fewer days than I have fingers on one hand.

An intriguing steel probably wouldn’t get me to carry the model more often, even though I’d still buy it. Buy how many buyers do that?

vivi

Post by vivi »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:35 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:

I count myself among the people who would buy a C95 sprint if it materializes in an unusual (and uncoated/unlaminated) steel. 3V-carta sounds good. But I don’t think there are enough buyers to warrant much hope.

Even old-timers like Yablanowitz migrated away from a C95 to carry something lighter. I suspect the “Mini-Manix” (which one day I’ll get) was meant to lighten the load, and the Manix2 even more so.

I fondle my C95 because it feels so good in the hand, but I’ve carried the beast fewer days than I have fingers on one hand.

An intriguing steel probably wouldn’t get me to carry the model more often, even though I’d still buy it. Buy how many buyers do that?
PM sent
:unicorn
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:59 pm

PM sent
PM sent

vivi

Post by vivi »

dogrunner wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:16 pm
Yes, and just as you described. OD green sounds great - 4V would be my preference. Greatly prefer backlock to BB lock (my fingers just do not like that lock).
Do you have a photo of one in hand (your hand). The Vivi handshot is how I judge handle size because you have posted so many knife-in-hand shots ;) Sort of a standard now.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:35 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:

The Dodo sold out in 5 minutes. I doubt anyone will full time EDC one of those. I can promise an OD Green 3V-carta C95 sprint would be an easy sell out.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I think it could sell ok, but not anywhere near good as 4V Shaman, M4 jade......which are gone in minutes....just because size and weight.
I think it has to be modernised a bit - more sceletonized liners, tweaked pocket clip placement, maybe a thinner stock?
Manix 2 XL is not the best selling knife in the catalog, so C95 is not going to fly off the shelves either.
EDIT: I want to wait for next Reveal ( mid January I hope) and if it doesn't bring anything cool, I might buy Manix XL.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
vivi

Post by vivi »

Pancake wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:25 pm
I think it could sell ok, but not anywhere near good as 4V Shaman, M4 jade......which are gone in minutes....just because size and weight.
I think it has to be modernised a bit - more sceletonized liners, tweaked pocket clip placement, maybe a thinner stock?
Manix 2 XL is not the best selling knife in the catalog, so C95 is not going to fly off the shelves either.
EDIT: I want to wait for next Reveal ( mid January I hope) and if it doesn't bring anything cool, I might buy Manix XL.
At that point the discussion turns into a Manix 3. I'm more than happy to have that discussion, but this thread is about a C95 sprint. Same design as the original C95 in every way besides a unique blade steel and possibly a new scale color. No other changes.

If you want to start a Manix 3 thread I'd contribute to that discussion!
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:31 pm
dogrunner wrote:
Yes, and just as you described. OD green sounds great - 4V would be my preference. Greatly prefer backlock to BB lock (my fingers just do not like that lock).
Do you have a photo of one in hand (your hand). The Vivi handshot is how I judge handle size because you have posted so many knife-in-hand shots ;) Sort of a standard now.
Thanks! Looks like it fits your hand very well.
vivi

Post by vivi »

dogrunner wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:38 pm
Vivi wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:31 pm
dogrunner wrote:
Thanks! Looks like it fits your hand very well.
Yep! It's my favorite design from Eric. The main grip is snug, locking my hand into place between the guard and pinky hook, but not too snug. Perfect fit.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Even old-timers like Yablanowitz migrated away from a C95 to carry something lighter.
I moved mine to a belt pouch and was happy.
At that point the discussion turns into a Manix 3. I'm more than happy to have that discussion, but this thread is about a C95 sprint. Same design as the original C95 in every way besides a unique blade steel and possibly a new scale color. No other changes.

Agree with Vivi here. They are completely different and both warrant their own discussion. I have wanted a C95 PE in a powder tool steel since I first picked one up and heard the lock shut and felt the weight and strength of the design. I tried the Chinook design twice and I liked it but I always preferred the C95. It can't help but make an impression when picked up the first time.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:39 pm

Hmm, I am not sure if I am that hardcore enough for C95 😂 Look's like you are
Maybe I would like it, but it's all just discussions and I am bit unsure if Spyderco is going to bring this model to today's market.
I think that Manix 2 XL sprint is more plausible then C95 sprint.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Pancake wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:56 pm
Vivi wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:39 pm

Hmm, I am not sure if I am that hardcore enough for C95 😂 Look's like you are
Maybe I would like it, but it's all just discussions and I am bit unsure if Spyderco is going to bring this model to today's market.
I think that Manix 2 XL sprint is more plausible then C95 sprint.

The Dodo has been long discontinued and it comes back every so often. The G10 Delica came back for the St Nicks exclusive last year. If Spyderco or a dealer or a distributor thinks something will sell, I don't see why they wouldn't do a run. No one here is suggesting they bring it back to full production. But as Mastiff said, this design with a modern PM tool steel like 3V or Cruwear is a no-brainer. And pair that with Micarta and it won't just sell, it will sell out in minutes/seconds. The time has come to bring this bad boy back.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I could be very wrong, but there is size difference between puny Dodo or Delica and C95....and I am not sure if there is market that wide for sprint run/exclusive of knife this big and hefty. Heck, even Shaman or PM2 looks small compared to C95.