C95 Manix Sprint

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
AccountDeletedUserRequest
Member
Posts: 6612
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

C95 Manix Sprint

Postby AccountDeletedUserRequest » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:00 am

Is there anyone else that would be interested in a C95 Manix sprint? I'm talking this guy:

Image

Image

I'd be thrilled to see this knife come back for one last sprint.

If I could have my choice of steel and scale, I'd go with OD green Micarta or G10, with a DLC tool steel blade like 3V, 4V or K390.

User avatar
Pancake
Member
Posts: 463
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:52 am

Re: C95 Manix Sprint

Postby Pancake » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:11 am

4 mm stock thickness is just...uh...oh....why.... Medford...meh

And improve pocket clip placement, put it on the end of scale.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE
On belt: Bow River, Waterway

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 4131
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: C95 Manix Sprint

Postby Wartstein » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:11 am

Vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:00 am
Is there anyone else that would be interested in a C95 Manix sprint? I'm talking this guy:

I'd be thrilled to see this knife come back for one last sprint.

If I could have my choice of steel and scale, I'd go with OD green Micarta or G10, with a DLC tool steel blade like 3V, 4V or K390.
I neither had this model, nor the Manix XL, but just looking at their specs I´d honestly prefer a sprint (Micarta!) of the latter: Same closed length, but the XL offers a bit more cutting edge, is lighter and has a thinner blade (the 4mm of the C95 are really thick imho)

Is there anything that makes you prefer the C95 over the XL? Honest question,since as said I have no experience with either knife.
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

AccountDeletedUserRequest
Member
Posts: 6612
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: C95 Manix Sprint

Postby AccountDeletedUserRequest » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:25 am

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:11 am
Vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:00 am
Is there anyone else that would be interested in a C95 Manix sprint? I'm talking this guy:

I'd be thrilled to see this knife come back for one last sprint.

If I could have my choice of steel and scale, I'd go with OD green Micarta or G10, with a DLC tool steel blade like 3V, 4V or K390.
I neither had this model, nor the Manix XL, but just looking at their specs I´d honestly prefer a sprint (Micarta!) of the latter: Same closed length, but the XL offers a bit more cutting edge, is lighter and has a thinner blade (the 4mm of the C95 are really thick imho)

Is there anything that makes you prefer the C95 over the XL? Honest question,since as said I have no experience with either knife.
- The lack of jimping on the choil and handle

- While the CBBL XL is a great knife I still prefer the lockback

- Better ergonomics. That extra width in the handle to accomodate the 4mm works really well with the overall handle design.

- Easier to take apart and put back together

- It isn't open back construction. I prefer that because if I toss the knife in a pack or deep in a pocket, less chance something will ding up the edge.

None of this is to say the current XL model is a bad knife. I've owned a few of them and I love them, especially the DLC model. But like how you appreciate the Stretch 2 but prefer the Stretch 1, that's how I feel about the Manix.
Pancake wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:11 am
4 mm stock thickness is just...uh...oh....why.... Medford...meh

And improve pocket clip placement, put it on the end of scale.
With how tall of a blade it had along with a full flat grind implying the C95 had the cutting ability of a medford is laughable. The Military, IIRC, is even thicker behind the edge, and those cut great too. I don't think a deep carry clip would imrpove this model.

Either way I'm going to carry my Manix XL today. Might have to look around on ebay for a C95 :D

VooDooChild
Member
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:29 am

Re: C95 Manix Sprint

Postby VooDooChild » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:33 am

I would definitely get one, and I want the thick blade stock. Don't change anything but handle color and steel.

User avatar
Pancake
Member
Posts: 463
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:52 am

Re: C95 Manix Sprint

Postby Pancake » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:41 am

Vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:25 am

With how tall of a blade it had along with a full flat grind implying the C95 had the cutting ability of a medford is laughable. The Military, IIRC, is even thicker behind the edge, and those cut great too. I don't think a deep carry clip would imrpove this model.

Either way I'm going to carry my Manix XL today. Might have to look around on ebay for a C95 :D
Hmmm, interesting, never had C95 or Millie.
And the pocket clip, I don't want to mean wire clip, use the standard spoon clip, just place it a higher, so the knife rides lower in the pocket (much like it is done on current Manix 2).
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE
On belt: Bow River, Waterway

AccountDeletedUserRequest
Member
Posts: 6612
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: C95 Manix Sprint

Postby AccountDeletedUserRequest » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:33 pm

Pancake wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:41 am
Vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:25 am

With how tall of a blade it had along with a full flat grind implying the C95 had the cutting ability of a medford is laughable. The Military, IIRC, is even thicker behind the edge, and those cut great too. I don't think a deep carry clip would imrpove this model.

Either way I'm going to carry my Manix XL today. Might have to look around on ebay for a C95 :D
Hmmm, interesting, never had C95 or Millie.
And the pocket clip, I don't want to mean wire clip, use the standard spoon clip, just place it a higher, so the knife rides lower in the pocket (much like it is done on current Manix 2).
It's a stout beast of a knife that's designed to be tough and overbuilt, while you have dinky little knives like the Lil Native and Para 3 having effectively the same thickness (3.7mm vs 4) in a more narrow blade. The height of the full flat grind on the Military and Manix mean they still cut well despite their spine thickness.

The C95 and XL have the same clip placement.

Deep carry can work alright on tip down models or small knives. If you put a deep carry tip up clip on a knife like the C95, Police or Millie, it means a lot of re-adjusting your grip between drawing the knife and opening it, making it more cumbersome to use. That's why they don't fit the C95. The current placement is great.

User avatar
steelcity16
Member
Posts: 3325
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:34 am

Re: C95 Manix Sprint

Postby steelcity16 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:41 pm

100% yes! I've been asking for this myself for some time now. Cruwear or 3V with OD Green Micarta. Satin and DLC both as options. Keeping the original "dino jimping" from the first run. This would be one heck of a knife! I have no doubt the demand for this sprint run would be near Cru-carta Shaman level.
:spyder: CRU-CARTA THEM ALL! :spyder:

Notsurewhy
Member
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:57 pm

Re: C95 Manix Sprint

Postby Notsurewhy » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:58 pm

Vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:33 pm
Pancake wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:41 am
Vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:25 am

With how tall of a blade it had along with a full flat grind implying the C95 had the cutting ability of a medford is laughable. The Military, IIRC, is even thicker behind the edge, and those cut great too. I don't think a deep carry clip would imrpove this model.

Either way I'm going to carry my Manix XL today. Might have to look around on ebay for a C95 :D
Hmmm, interesting, never had C95 or Millie.
And the pocket clip, I don't want to mean wire clip, use the standard spoon clip, just place it a higher, so the knife rides lower in the pocket (much like it is done on current Manix 2).
It's a stout beast of a knife that's designed to be tough and overbuilt, while you have dinky little knives like the Lil Native and Para 3 having effectively the same thickness (3.7mm vs 4) in a more narrow blade. The height of the full flat grind on the Military and Manix mean they still cut well despite their spine thickness.

The C95 and XL have the same clip placement.

Deep carry can work alright on tip down models or small knives. If you put a deep carry tip up clip on a knife like the C95, Police or Millie, it means a lot of re-adjusting your grip between drawing the knife and opening it, making it more cumbersome to use. That's why they don't fit the C95. The current placement is great.
The Lil native is a chubby bunny but only 3.3mm like the regular native and Manix 2. The para 3 is 3.7 and that's ridiculous.

User avatar
spoonrobot
Member
Posts: 628
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:37 am
Location: Smyrna, Georgia USA

Postby spoonrobot » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:16 pm

The original C95 was stout for it's time - compared to modern knives it's downright svelte. The blade had a strong distal taper and with the high FFG it cuts much better than one would expect.

The market outside of eBay for C95s seems kinda soft right now. I picked up one a few weeks ago for ~$100 and a C95+C101 went for $180 together on BF last week. That said if there was a sprint I'd be sure to buy one. The C95 is an excellent knife with it's huge blade and handle, the lock snapping home is like a bank vault.

dogrunner
Member
Posts: 900
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm

Re: C95 Manix Sprint

Postby dogrunner » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:16 pm

Yes, and just as you described. OD green sounds great - 4V would be my preference. Greatly prefer backlock to BB lock (my fingers just do not like that lock).
Do you have a photo of one in hand (your hand). The Vivi handshot is how I judge handle size because you have posted so many knife-in-hand shots ;) Sort of a standard now.

User avatar
The Mastiff
Member
Posts: 5214
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:53 am
Location: raleigh nc

Re: C95 Manix Sprint

Postby The Mastiff » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:34 pm

I'd be in from 1 to 3 depending on steel selected. I've always liked this knife and think some of the steels used since then would really bring out the best in it. 3V on up through Cruwear to 4V or even K390. Any of them would be great.

AccountDeletedUserRequest
Member
Posts: 6612
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: C95 Manix Sprint

Postby AccountDeletedUserRequest » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:41 pm

Notsurewhy wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:58 pm
Vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:33 pm
Pancake wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:41 am
Vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:25 am

With how tall of a blade it had along with a full flat grind implying the C95 had the cutting ability of a medford is laughable. The Military, IIRC, is even thicker behind the edge, and those cut great too. I don't think a deep carry clip would imrpove this model.

Either way I'm going to carry my Manix XL today. Might have to look around on ebay for a C95 :D
Hmmm, interesting, never had C95 or Millie.
And the pocket clip, I don't want to mean wire clip, use the standard spoon clip, just place it a higher, so the knife rides lower in the pocket (much like it is done on current Manix 2).
It's a stout beast of a knife that's designed to be tough and overbuilt, while you have dinky little knives like the Lil Native and Para 3 having effectively the same thickness (3.7mm vs 4) in a more narrow blade. The height of the full flat grind on the Military and Manix mean they still cut well despite their spine thickness.

The C95 and XL have the same clip placement.

Deep carry can work alright on tip down models or small knives. If you put a deep carry tip up clip on a knife like the C95, Police or Millie, it means a lot of re-adjusting your grip between drawing the knife and opening it, making it more cumbersome to use. That's why they don't fit the C95. The current placement is great.
The Lil native is a chubby bunny but only 3.3mm like the regular native and Manix 2. The para 3 is 3.7 and that's ridiculous.
thanks for the correction, I thought they were the same.

User avatar
Larry_Mott
Member
Posts: 2031
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:00 am
Location: Helsingborg, Sweden

Re: C95 Manix Sprint

Postby Larry_Mott » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:53 pm

I would most likely buy one but to be honest, it's nothing i get overly excited about. My preference is around Delica/Endela-ish size, and compared to those the OG Manix was a behemoth :)
That said i much prefer back lock Manix to the CBBL one/s..
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott R.I.P.

ABX2011
Member
Posts: 1770
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:54 pm

Re: C95 Manix Sprint

Postby ABX2011 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:26 pm

I wouldn't be especially interested in a Sprint. For one thing, Spyderco's engineering has improved; their lockbacks have tighter tolerances now.

TomAiello
Member
Posts: 3513
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:34 pm
Location: Twin Falls, ID

Re: C95 Manix Sprint

Postby TomAiello » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:51 pm

If it was 3v, 4v or K390, I'd definitely buy it.

User avatar
Spydergirl88
Member
Posts: 5697
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:42 pm

Re: C95 Manix Sprint

Postby Spydergirl88 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:19 pm

Dear Spyderco, please give Vivi what he wants already
Team Wire Clip
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:

prndltech
Member
Posts: 654
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:53 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: C95 Manix Sprint

Postby prndltech » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:31 pm

Yup.
The planter, the farmer, the mechanic, and the laborer... form the great body of the people of the United States, they are the bone and sinew of the country men who love liberty and desire nothing but equal rights and equal laws. - Andrew Jackson

tbdoc4kids
Member
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:01 pm
Location: Mission, KS

Re: C95 Manix Sprint

Postby tbdoc4kids » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:32 pm

+1!

User avatar
steelcity16
Member
Posts: 3325
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:34 am

Re: C95 Manix Sprint

Postby steelcity16 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:05 pm

Lots of 3V votes in here. A C95 Sprint would be THE model to give us that 3V we are all craving! OD Green DLC 3V-carta for the win! My avatar has been this DLC "3V" Manix XL blade for some time now, but the C95 is really the one I was hoping for all along.
:spyder: CRU-CARTA THEM ALL! :spyder:


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Cscottsss, MSN [Bot], Spydergirl88 and 28 guests