Stretched Stretch - continued from Straight spine thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Stretched Stretch - continued from Straight spine thread

Post by sal »

This thread is a continuation from my last post on the straight spine stretch thread so as not to make the original thread too long.

sal
vivi

Re: Stretched Stretch - continued from Straight spine thread

Post by vivi »

Yes! I like everything about the Stretch besides the size. 4" to 4.5" blades are my sweet spot for folders.

Sal, if you make a Stretch XL, I promise to buy one.
:unicorn
geronm042

Post by geronm042 »

I’m in on this one too. 4” would be perfect, also trying to minimize the increase in handle length.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Sal, maybe you don't know, but at this point you stopped all my thinking about other knives and my mind is now set only on stretched Stretch.
I am in for one, no matter the cost. (I hope I can get it in Europe).
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Im a bit torn. I know people love the stretch but its one of those weird ones that I loved at first and now I just think its ok. I just got my straight spine stretch 3 days ago. I bought it mostly for the color, and obviously the blade shape. The issue is I just got my police 4 lightweight the next day and it has booted almost every knife out of my pocket. Definitely reaching for it over all the non salt frns Ive got.

I have no problem if they make one. But if they make a straight spine stretch xl I see it competing really close with the police 4 lightweight. Then its an ergonomics argument. And I think Im liking the police 4 ergos better.
But I am weird with my ergo preferences they do seem to shift back and forth over time.

Edit. Ok, I just read sals post in the other thread where he said he would keep it under the police 4 in terms of blade length. So I guess just ignore me.
Last edited by VooDooChild on Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I’m in!!!

This is something that interests me a great deal.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I'm a big fan of the Stretch but not a big fan of 4" folders. I'd definitely be interested to see if a 4" Stretch could be the knife that changes my thoughts on folders that size.

I'm interested to see where this one leads to.
-Nick :bug-red
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Soooo, Reveal no.2 maybe? :D
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
sal

Post by sal »

Not likely. It will take that long to get thorough prototyping.

sal
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Please accept my pledge to buy 2 of them, heck for that matter send me an invoice and I will prepay for two of them.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

sal wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:40 pm

sal
Out of curiosity, what is the average time a new knife spends in prototyping? Would the prototyping be any faster if the knife is based on an already existing model?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi P_atrick,

It depends on the model. The Shaman was two years in design and prototyping alone. I've been refining the Swick for almost 20 years. Probably a year for the average, though some have been done more quickly. Also we work on more than one design at a time. Right now we've probably got 30 designs we're working on in R&D.

There's my designs, Eric's designs, Mike Janich's designs and many outside collaborations in-the-works.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:54 am
This thread is a continuation from my last post on the straight spine stretch thread so as not to make the original thread too long.

sal
The Stretch is probably my favorite folder of all times (and that of any brand), but the perfect blade / cutting edge length is the longer one of the Endura (blade 3.75, edge 3.44).
So: YES, a Stretch offering more cutting edge would be great,or maybe almost even like a dream come true! :)

Three points on that:

- I think the ergos of the current Stretch 2 are perfect (my new Straight Spine Stretch showed me that again), especially for I´d say starting with medium and then bigger hands, so a larger version imho should NOT alter these ergos, but if at all just lengthen the butt end of the handle a tad (in order to accomodate a longer blade), while leaving everything else as it is

- For me personally a longer-bladed-Stretch could keep the exact same handle (so also in length) as the current Stretch 2 and just offer a blade as long as possible (so totally handle filling):
- The current Stretch 2 has a blade length of 3.48" and an actual edge of 3.01"
- The handle would offer space for about 0.31 " MORE of blade, if the blade was made totally handle filling when the knife is closed
- That would mean: Blade 3.79, cutting edge 3.32, so around the Endura specs anyway

- I´d buy an XL G10 version of the Stretch, but eventually hoping for an FRN Stretch XL. Not only do I prefer FRN over G10 generally, but also think that the contouring of the FRN contributes to the perfect Stretch ergos (never had the current G10 ZDP version, so admittedly I don´t know how a G10 Stretch feels in hand)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I like the sound of this, but why don't we do a little experiment here and go straight to a Cruwear production release in some earth tone (foliage green? forest green?) FRN? Being that there are no production Cruwear models, this should certainly help sales beyond the initial release frenzy period.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Power lock!
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

sal wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:40 pm

sal
I fully understand that taking an idea and make it into a knife takes a lot of time.
Anyway, when time comes, I will be more then happy to buy this one.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

If it is going to debut in G10 I think it should come with a steel upgrade. I think that the G10/VG10 combo at a high price point hurts sales. I love VG10 but it has no wow factor anymore for most people.

Cruwear is popular. S45VN will sell just because it’s new. I would go nuts for one in K390.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I cant remember who said it but it was something about the curse of the japanese g10 killing off models.

Why not due a golden made g10 stretch xl in s30v and sell it for under 200?

Of course there is logistics in all of that and I imagine maybe golden just couldnt take that on right now with thier current production requirements.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
sal

Post by sal »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:24 pm
sal wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:54 am

sal
- I´d buy an XL G10 version of the Stretch, but eventually hoping for an FRN Stretch XL. Not only do I prefer FRN over G10 generally, but also think that the contouring of the FRN contributes to the perfect Stretch ergos (never had the current G10 ZDP version, so admittedly I don´t know how a G10 Stretch feels in hand)

An FRN version would depend on reaction to the size. G-10 is not a certainty. Micarta would work. I know Al Mar used Micarta in white.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:53 pm
I cant remember who said it but it was something about the curse of the japanese g10 killing off models.

Why not due a golden made g10 stretch xl in s30v and sell it for under 200?

Of course there is logistics in all of that and I imagine maybe golden just couldnt take that on right now with thier current production requirements.

Golden is pretty busy right now. Also, we don't like to change makers on a design unless there's no choice. Loyalty, Giri and all that.

sal