Stretched Stretch - continued from Straight spine thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Stretched Stretch - continued from Straight spine thread

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:51 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:24 pm
sal wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:54 am
This thread is a continuation from my last post on the straight spine stretch thread so as not to make the original thread too long.

sal
- I´d buy an XL G10 version of the Stretch, but eventually hoping for an FRN Stretch XL. Not only do I prefer FRN over G10 generally, but also think that the contouring of the FRN contributes to the perfect Stretch ergos (never had the current G10 ZDP version, so admittedly I don´t know how a G10 Stretch feels in hand)

An FRN version would depend on reaction to the size. G-10 is not a certainty. Micarta would work. I know Al Mar used Micarta in white.

sal
Sal, a longer edged (possibly overall larger) Stretch in MICARTA would definitely be a dream come true! :) Instant buy, no doubt.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I don't know why but this feels like early Christmas present. Now just wait a year or so and we can get a brand new knife!
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
vivi

Post by vivi »

sal wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
sal wrote:
This thread is a continuation from my last post on the straight spine stretch thread so as not to make the original thread too long.

sal
- I´d buy an XL G10 version of the Stretch, but eventually hoping for an FRN Stretch XL. Not only do I prefer FRN over G10 generally, but also think that the contouring of the FRN contributes to the perfect Stretch ergos (never had the current G10 ZDP version, so admittedly I don´t know how a G10 Stretch feels in hand)

An FRN version would depend on reaction to the size. G-10 is not a certainty. Micarta would work. I know Al Mar used Micarta in white.

sal
I'd love to see this in micarta, especially given a rough texture for an extra secure grip.
:unicorn
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:56 pm
sal wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
sal wrote:

sal

sal
Sal, a longer edged (possibly overall larger) Stretch in MICARTA would definitely be a dream come true! :) Instant buy, no doubt.

Production Cru-carta Straight Spine Stretch XL????? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

THAT would likely overtake the Cru-carta Shaman as my go to larger folder. I prefer backlocks and the ergos on the Stretch are nothing short of amazing.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Oooh a stretched Stretch sounds interesting. Not surprised that Warstein is excited at the prospect!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Tims

Post by Tims »

Here’s a mildly relevant pic illustrating the room there is for extra steel in the current Stretch 2.

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Tims,

The handle was designed to fit the hand. The blade was designed to fit the law. I did the same thing with the Delica.

sal
Tims

Post by Tims »

sal wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:20 pm
Hi Tims,

The handle was designed to fit the hand. The blade was designed to fit the law. I did the same thing with the Delica.

sal
Not a knock on your design Sal, I can appreciate the reason it is why it is. It was more of a laws be damned thing

Here in Oz, where you better be an Architect to carry that sharpened pencil, blade length doesn’t mean much.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

A four-inch straight-spine Stretch? Where does the line form?

Though I’m more than happy with the Stretch and Stretch2, now including my straight-spine Stretch, the latter does share much with the PM2 and, with its edge-profile, suggests to me a Lil’ Military.

In stretching this Stretch, people wanting a Military that is lightweight, that has an ambidextrous midlock (thus a strong self-close and no detent worries), and that has an ambidextrous tip-up option, yet retains a Military-like blade-shape and -angle, may find what they’re looking for. While I’d rather have a stop-lock Military2, getting a Military-like stretched Stretch sure has my interest.

But could this stretched Stretch have a power-lock? Or would that increase the complication and cost? The Tatanka’s Seki City-built power-lock is rock-solid (unlike the midlocks on many Seki Spydies) and is an operational pleasure that few here have enjoyed...

And could it have an unlaminated, less common Japanese steel (say, carbon Shirogami-1 @ 64HRC or carbon Aogami-Super @ 65HRC or stainless Ginsan-ko @ 62HRC)? Or would that increase the complication and cost? The first Stretch2 did come with a premiere unlaminated Japanese steel...

And would the blade remain at 3mm thick?

And a roughly-textured Micarta, too?
Last edited by wrdwrght on Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Micarta Stretch XL would get my money. I think I'd rather have the original blade shape, but wouldn't be opposed to the straight spine either.

What steel are we thinking?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:41 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:56 pm
sal wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

sal

Production Cru-carta Straight Spine Stretch XL????? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

THAT would likely overtake the Cru-carta Shaman as my go to larger folder. I prefer backlocks and the ergos on the Stretch are nothing short of amazing.

Micarta and a premium steel would move it from around 85% must have to 100% must have for me. If the steel were K390, it would be at least 110% must have!! And K390 is already in use in Seki !! ....and I was thinking I had all the spydies I needed :p

Stretches have not been my favorites (only have Stretch 1 ZDP and Stretch 2 G-10 ZDP), but the straight spine Stretch tells me that it was probably mainly because of the blade shape -- yeah, silly I know. Also, perfect for me would be a slightly deeper choil (sector of a shorter diameter circle).
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Conceptually I think a stretched Stretch would fill a gap for a big folder with a mid-lock that has a more utilitarian blade than the Police. Like the Military, but thinner and with a better handle (IMO the FRN handles are the best for grip security and comfort). I'd also like to see the larger spyder hole as big folders go in-hand so well when wearing gloves and the current FRN Stretch is acceptable but less than ideal. Not a fault, just something I noticed. The Pacific Salt works pretty well with gloves and obviously the Military too.

The regular Stretch FRN is one of a handful of my favorite knives and now the straight spine variant is as well. One of the rare knives I've purchased that I ordered another one as soon as I used it.
Hobnob

Post by Hobnob »

I have a Stretch 2 and I much prefer the Endela. They are very similar in size and don't care for the choil on the Stretch. With that said, I would not be interested in a stretched Stretch.

Looking forward to seeing more choices in the Endela.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I kinda support the idea of more exotic steel in Stretched Stretch. It will be costly, but on the other hand, it will gain more interest if it comes in Cru-Wear, HAP 40 and so on.
But even basic micarta/VG 10 would do the trick for me.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Hobnob wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:38 pm
I have a Stretch 2 and I much prefer the Endela. They are very similar in size and don't care for the choil on the Stretch. With that said, I would not be interested in a stretched Stretch.

Looking forward to seeing more choices in the Endela.
I somewhat get what you mean, for I love the Endela too, but also the Stretch. It´s true, if one has an Endela already a Stretch is not necessary anymore.
Still, I really want to have both. They are both great designs, coming from different approaches.
Endela: Simple, functional, slim package, great work horse, for me perfect simple ergos
Stretch very refined, just a masterpiece in ergos, a joy to use. I am also not really into choils, but the Stretch 2 offers two just perfect hand positions, one back on the handle, one choked up, in that particular knife I really want them both and by that a choil.

I totally get that the blades of both have to stay under 3.5" due to legal issues. But just for me personally the 3.8 of blade lenght that the handle would offer space for would improve both designs even more.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:54 pm
I kinda support the idea of more exotic steel in Stretched Stretch. It will be costly, but on the other hand, it will gain more interest if it comes in Cru-Wear, HAP 40 and so on.
But even basic micarta/VG 10 would do the trick for me.
I figure if a inital run of a Stretch XL should also function as a test how well it is received and sells, it should not be made out of too expensive materials. If the knife gets TOO costly, that would heavily impact that "test" probably, if there is a possibility for a FRN VG10 production Stretch XL in the future.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This interests me more than the standard version for sure. Like the original Stretch though, there are many other models I would probably buy first though (Police 4, Chief, that Caribbean LW back lock I hope will happen eventually).
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:44 am
This interests me more than the standard version for sure. Like the original Stretch though, there are many other models I would probably buy first though (Police 4, Chief, that Caribbean LW back lock I hope will happen eventually).
Maybe the only knife that I´d also like to see even more than a longer edged Stretch ... (see for example this poll,can´t hurt to post the link to it once more: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84657)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:22 am
I figure if a inital run of a Stretch XL should also function as a test how well it is received and sells, it should not be made out of too expensive materials. If the knife gets TOO costly, that would heavily impact that "test" probably, if there is a possibility for a FRN VG10 production Stretch XL in the future.
Yes, you are right about the cost. I think if it costs about the G10 Police with something like a Cru-Wear, that could be a fair price. But with "only" VG10, that could be less interesting for folks.
I think this could have a lot of potential.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:27 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:22 am
Yes, you are right about the cost. I think if it costs about the G10 Police with something like a Cru-Wear, that could be a fair price. But with "only" VG10, that could be less interesting for folks.
I think this could have a lot of potential.
I hope so!! I´d really just focus on giving it a longer edge and change as little elsewhere as possible.
As much as I´d love to see it come true, I don´t know how much demand there really is for a Stretch XL on the general market. Judging from Manix 2 (roughly Stretch size) and Manix XL, the smaller model would still be more popular (and tbh, the Stretch 2 for many people (not for me though) is on the larger side for a general EDC folder already anyway).