Stretched Stretch - continued from Straight spine thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Stretched Stretch - continued from Straight spine thread

Post by Wartstein »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:26 am
Yep much safer on a back lock.
?? Honestly, I still don't get what you meant and why on the current Stretch 2 the "choil can be missed more easily and the edge bite the finger" when dropping/closing the blade compared to a PM2... for the blade part of the Stretch choil is even LONGER and the handle part on both knives of about the same length...

But it's not that important, I just was courious... :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:42 am
Pancake wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:31 am
Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:57 pm
Where? Link please.
Found it

Sal I would like to ask for a 50/50 choil pretty sure this can be done without retooling the handle hope this will be be considered as you work on the design.

The only thing I like better about a PM2 compared to the current SS Stretch is the deeper choil.

Three reasons.

#1. You got me hooked on how good a 50 /50 Choil feels and now my index finger looks for it on every knife, makes EDC rotation a bit more mindful!

#2. One handed closing on the Stretch has never been as good as the Para3 and PM2 because the choil on the blade is small and can be missed when one hand closing and bite the finger.

#3. On a longer blade like just like the Military and Manix 2 XL a deeper choil will allow for a more secure grip and lock the knife in the hand better when choking up.
Doeswhatever, I´ve been thinking about your proposals once more and tried to replicate again what you mean with my PM2 and Stretch 2.

As said, the Stretch 2 definitely already HAS a 50:50 choil, even larger than on a PM2, and the blade part of the Stretch 2 choil is longer than the blade part of the PM2 choil, so it´s even a bit less likely to hit your finger when closing the knife one handed with the Stretch 2 (differently to what you say in my opinion).

Now I assume: Maybe you are actually talking about the Stretch 1 (ONE) as opposed to the Stretch 2 (TWO)??
The choil of the Stretch 1 (one) is smaller and a lot shallower than on the PM 2 indeed (but Sal improved that on the Stretch 2 (two))

Maybe Sal has already done what you wish, when developing the Stretch 2 out of the Stretch 1? :)

See pic 1 below, from left to right:
- choil Stretch 1
- choil Straight Spine Stretch 2
- choil Drop point ("original") Stretch 2

Pic 2: Again comparison choil PM2 vs choil Straight Spine Stretch 2 (Pauls / the Deacons pic!)

- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Awww shoot yer right, I have been using my Stretch one SE as the house pocket knife for opening stuff at home and was thinking about that!

Good catch! Thanks👍🏻
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:05 am
Awww shoot yer right, I have been using my Stretch one SE as the house pocket knife for opening stuff at home and was thinking about that!

Good catch! Thanks👍🏻

Ok, now we finally understand each other!! :)

And maybe you should try a Stretch 2... (regardless if droppoint or straight spine) - since Sal already GAVE it the kind of choil you desire..
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Lol I own them, Ha,Ha,Ha. My SS Stretch is coming back into rotation for more tinkering with the blade right now it is in a not usable state.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:26 am
Lol I own them, Ha,Ha,Ha. My SS Stretch is coming back into rotation for more tinkering with the blade right now it is in a not usable state.
:p :p

/ The SS Stretch is great. Said it in another thread already: I am really surprised that it's not totally sold out everywhere by now... Some people don't know what they're missing... ;)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Well my friend we have done our best to be Spyderco Ambassador’s and help fill people’s hand with greatness.

On that topic, I was EDC’ing my Para3’s this week both the cruwear and the S30V full SE blade.

Out of the two I prefer the superior cutting ability of the SE in this form factor.

There has been some discussion of a shorter stretch. Hmmm costly proposition for Spyderco. Going from the PM2 to the Para3 was easier following on the heels of a wildly successful predecessor.

If they ever do go smaller with the stretch to satisfy many who like smaller knives I hope they do a SE blade. I actually use my combo blade stretch and SE much more than the plain edged ones.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:52 am
Well my friend we have done our best to be Spyderco Ambassador’s and help fill people’s hand with greatness.

On that topic, I was EDC’ing my Para3’s this week both the cruwear and the S30V full SE blade.

Out of the two I prefer the superior cutting ability of the SE in this form factor.

There has been some discussion of a shorter stretch. Hmmm costly proposition for Spyderco. Going from the PM2 to the Para3 was easier following on the heels of a wildly successful predecessor.

If they ever do go smaller with the stretch to satisfy many who like smaller knives I hope they do a SE blade. I actually use my combo blade stretch and SE much more than the plain edged ones.

I´ll gladly be an Ambassador with you further on, this time for Spyderedge in ffg!! ;) (You know, my Endela SE.. another great one when it comes to pure cutting power... :rolleyes: )
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:33 am

/ The SS Stretch is great. Said it in another thread already: I am really surprised that it's not totally sold out everywhere by now... Some people don't know what they're missing... ;)
It doesn't have the same edge profile. Totally not interested. The Stretch is the Hunter 2. Straight spine is not a Stretch.

Pass
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

5-by-5 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:09 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:33 am

It doesn't have the same edge profile. Totally not interested. The Stretch is the Hunter 2. Straight spine is not a Stretch.

Well... actually the straight spine Stretch HAS the same edge profile as the drop point / regular version.. it just has a different "spine"-profile...

That being said: I also prefer the drop point "funky" shape of the "original" version.
What I like more in the straight spine version: A bit shorter choil in the blade, a bit more cutting edge
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Stretched straight spine sounds like a Police 4 on a Stretch grip.

Meh
Doeswhateveraspidercan

5-by-5 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:25 pm

Meh
Very different blades. police 4 is not really close, I imagine When the SS Stretch comes out it will be same as it is now only a bit longer.

Guess work of course but let’s wait and see.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:36 pm
5-by-5 wrote:

Meh
Very different blades. police 4 is not really close, I imagine When the SS Stretch comes out it will be same as it is now only a bit longer.

Guess work of course but let’s wait and see.

Right. Police blade will be less tall, have a continous curve in the edge (Stretch: Long, totally straight section), and a lot less belly towards the tip than the Stretch blade
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

This was taken from the Bombshell thread, but thought this is an interesting question.
JustinB wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:20 pm
A 4" straight spine stretch sounds interesting, but wouldn't that be direct competition for the P4 lightweight?
Couple that question with bit of information from Sal on the upcoming Rock Jumper (highlighting is mine):
sal wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:09 pm
I went straight to FRN as making a G-10 run in Seki gets very expensive and the high cost hurts sales which hinders my research on a new design concept.
So we have two knives with a lot of similarities (and some important differences to be sure) and there is a mentality that newly produced knives are a form of research. Total conjecture on my part, but it could be that the model with the better sales will remain in the long-term lineup. If I had to guess, I'd say the 4" SS Stretch wins out over the P4 LW. The Stretch (especially in the SS configuration) has a lot of fans. Which is too bad because the P4 LW is an amazing knife. Or maybe I am seeing something that just isn't there. Sal has already confirmed that a K390 version of the P4 LW is in the works (I've also heard a ZDP version mentioned here and there, but I don't recall anything concrete). If there is some concern about the viability of the P4 LW in the long-term, then why commit to a sprint run? I guess that's why I browse and post here; it's fun to try and read the tea leaves of our favorite knife company.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

5-by-5 wrote:

Meh
I think more like a Military with a Stretch grip. Meh for me as well, though.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
sal

Post by sal »

Different strokes for different folks. That's why we make so many models and that's why we're always testing new deigns. The P4 really is a different kind of design than any of the Stretch's. It's longer, thinner and generally carried by people for a different purpose.

FYI, I have finished the first Stretched Stretch design (straight spine, 4.0" blade) and we'll be prototyping soon.

sal
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I totally agree, the wild success of the PM2 made the Para 3 a natural fit.

But man, just think of a delica-sized frn with a swell, a choil, and a straight spine. I get that I'm basically describing the Para 3, but I want both. Bring on the Lil' Stretch!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

sal wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:54 pm

FYI, I have finished the first Stretched Stretch design (straight spine, 4.0" blade) and we'll be prototyping soon.

sal
Just take my money!
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

sal wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:54 pm
Different strokes for different folks. That's why we make so many models and that's why we're always testing new deigns. The P4 really is a different kind of design than any of the Stretch's. It's longer, thinner and generally carried by people for a different purpose.

sal
Great to hear Sal! What's next? Comp Lock Military 2? Lil' Stretch? 3" Dragonfly XL? :D

In all seriousness, excited to see the Stretched Stretch.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:58 pm
I totally agree, the wild success of the PM2 made the Para 3 a natural fit.

But man, just think of a delica-sized frn with a swell, a choil, and a straight spine. I get that I'm basically describing the Para 3, but I want both. Bring on the Lil' Stretch!

Can't take a comparison pic at the moment, but the Stretch 1 (discontinued) handle actually is/was already not much longer than the Delicas (length difference closed length 0.13"). Just a lot wider. And a much longer (more handle filling) blade.