Stretched Stretch - continued from Straight spine thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Stretched Stretch - continued from Straight spine thread

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:06 pm
You know, the Stretch was the first Spyderco I ever owned and is to this day one of my favorite knives.

A few years passed, and I thought the PM2 was the best knife imaginable. But lately, I've found the Para 3 in my pocket more than the PM2.

I'd like to propose a Straight Spine Stretch with a 3" blade. I'd carry it every day!

While I personally generally am not interested in small (3" blade) knives, I´d of course grant you a "Lil Stretch".

But I just can´t imagine that the Stretch ergos would really work if the handle was scaled down too much
I think the (compared to the Stretch 2) clearly shorter handle of the Stretch 1 is as short as you can go if you want to keep the ergos as great as they are on the Stretch.

Anyway, maybe if the drop point UKPK had a (back-)lock: Would that be what you´re thinking of (see pic below)?
(Not my knife and not my pic, it´s from the knifeworks-page)

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:57 am
kennethsime wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:06 pm
You know, the Stretch was the first Spyderco I ever owned and is to this day one of my favorite knives.

A few years passed, and I thought the PM2 was the best knife imaginable. But lately, I've found the Para 3 in my pocket more than the PM2.

I'd like to propose a Straight Spine Stretch with a 3" blade. I'd carry it every day!

While I personally generally am not interested in small (3" blade) knives, I´d of course grant you a "Lil Stretch".

But I just can´t imagine that the Stretch ergos would really work if the handle was scaled down too much
I think the (compared to the Stretch 2) clearly shorter handle of the Stretch 1 is as short as you can go if you want to keep the ergos as great as they are on the Stretch.

Anyway, maybe if the drop point UKPK had a (back-)lock: Would that be what you´re thinking of (see pic below)?
(Not my knife and not my pic, it´s from the knifeworks-page)

Looks very similar Warstein! I haven't been lucky enough to try a UKPK yet but it does look very similar to a Stretch (or maybe a Caly?).

I love how the Stretch just fits in your hand. I know the Para 3 handle was modified quite a bit from the PM2, and it may be that a 3" Straight Spine Stretch would have to be modified a bit as well; maybe shrink the swell/horn near the pommel? I'm sure Sal & Eric would have great ideas around this.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Did I say that I am really looking forward for this model? :D
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I'm curious if there might be any lock re-engineering for this model to ward off vertical blade play? Could a Power lock be implemented? Don't remember if Sakai or Moki makes those. Or add an internal stop pin?

A 4 inch blade applies a lot of force to a lock mechanism. I dislike the minor vertical play in my Stretch 2 but tolerate it because the knife and V-Toku are so compelling otherwise.
JMM

Post by JMM »

Speaking as a ardent Stretch fan, (v2 especially) and as a decade+ Police fan, I would be overjoyed to see this come to pass, anything in the 4 inch range would be awesome, I would vote for something like the P4 platform, 4.4 inch blade with 4 inches of edge... I would wager a good portion of the buyers of this platform would likely be P4 fans that may or may not be Stretch fans...? Maybe? I will buy one of each model, two of any in K390, 4v, cruwear, or Rex45... :)

Thank You Sal, I'm super excited to see what happens!
Last edited by JMM on Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

If by stretched Stretch it means the blade being bigger, original design or straight spine, I'm in! If it also involved enlarging the handle like in the case of Manix XL, I'm not personally interested as I still want the knife to be a comfortable pocket EDC. But I'm not the sole target customer so take my opinion as something very subjective.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

emanuel wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:10 am
If by stretched Stretch it means the blade being bigger, original design or straight spine, I'm in!
Yes, Stretched Stretch is going to have a 4 inch blade, and a handle to accommodate such blade. Straight spine as well.
Sal commented that he is working on prototype.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

Pancake wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:03 am
Yes, Stretched Stretch is going to have a 4 inch blade, and a handle to accommodate such blade.
Sweet. Hopefully the handle has a better fit with the blade when closed with no wasted length, as Sal said was the case with the current Stretch and its legal blade length/handle ergonomy balance. I am definitely interested.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Pancake wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:03 am
emanuel wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:10 am
If by stretched Stretch it means the blade being bigger, original design or straight spine, I'm in!
Yes, Stretched Stretch is going to have a 4 inch blade, and a handle to accommodate such blade. Straight spine as well.
Sal commented that he is working on prototype.
Where? Link please.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:57 pm
Where? Link please.
Found it
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I’m late to the party on this but a larger Stretch has my attention. I’d prefer the straight spine, I think, but that’s not hard and fast. A large backlock like this has me wanting one yesterday.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Pancake wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:31 am
Where? Link please.
Found it
Thanks Pancake.

Sal I would like to ask for a 50/50 choil pretty sure this can be done without retooling the handle hope this will be be considered as you work on the design.

The only thing I like better about a PM2 compared to the current SS Stretch is the deeper choil.

Three reasons.

#1. You got me hooked on how good a 50 /50 Choil feels and now my index finger looks for it on every knife, makes EDC rotation a bit more mindful!

#2. One handed closing on the Stretch has never been as good as the Para3 and PM2 because the choil on the blade is small and can be missed when one hand closing and bite the finger.

#3. On a longer blade like just like the Military and Manix 2 XL a deeper choil will allow for a more secure grip and lock the knife in the hand better when choking up.

Thanks.

Thanks.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:42 am
Pancake wrote:
Where? Link please.
Found it
Thanks Pancake.

Sal I would like to ask for a 50/50 choil pretty sure this can be done without retooling the handle hope this will be be considered as you work on the design.

The only thing I like better about a PM2 compared to the current SS Stretch is the deeper choil.

Three reasons.

#1. You got me hooked on how good a 50 /50 Choil feels and now my index finger looks for it on every knife, makes EDC rotation a bit more mindful!

#2. One handed closing on the Stretch has never been as good as the Para3 and PM2 because the choil on the blade is small and can be missed when one hand closing and bite the finger.

#3. On a longer blade like just like the Military and Manix 2 XL a deeper choil will allow for a more secure grip and lock the knife in the hand better when choking up.

Thanks.
Doeshwatever, no offense, but I am not sure I get what you´re talking about - ?!

The choil of the PM2 may be a bit DEEPER than on the Stretch 2, but it is certainly not WIDER (the blade part of the choil is not longer on the PM 2 than on the Stretch) - as a matter of fact I think it is even a bit shorter than on the Stretch.
So... what do you mean by "small" and "can be missed"?!? I don´t see this, really! When firmly holding the knife and dropping the choil on your forefinger, what counts is much more the length/width of the choil, not its depth...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Where? Link please.
Found it
Generally speaking: Just in my opinion that´s not entirely true (but of course there is no "wrong" or "right", it depends on personal preference and what one is used to!)

A very deep choil may feel "better" and secure when just holding the knife.
In real use, especially when you really work harder with the knife, for me a choil that is a bit shallower is actually more secure in making the knife more controllable. Why?: A very deep choil places the index finger TOO much "recessed" or "deep in the blade" compared to the other fingers, that causes a bit less control and leverage, and makes the knife a bit less stable in hand.
A shallower choil on the other hand enhances controll, cause more "pressure" is on the frontmost finger (index finger in the choil)

Just my 2c of course!! (But also my honest experience in years of using folders)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Where? Link please.

Added to my previous post: I borrowed the pic from Paul / the Deacon (posted in the Straight Spine Stretch thread, Paul, I hope that´s ok!)
You can see: The blade part of the choil is even slightly LONGER on the Stretch than on the PM2 (and the handle part of the choils about the same length), so it is LESS likely you hit your finger with the Stretch when letting the blade drop...

Doeswhateveraspidercan

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:47 am
Pancake wrote:
Where? Link please.
Found it
Thanks Pancake.

Three reasons.

Thanks.
Doeshwatever, no offense, but I am not sure I get what you´re talking about - ?!

The choil of the PM2 may be a bit DEEPER than on the Stretch 2, but it is certainly not WIDER (the blade part of the choil is not longer on the PM 2 than on the Stretch) - as a matter of fact I think it is even a bit shorter than on the Stretch.
So... what do you mean by "small" and "can be missed"?!? I don´t see this, really! When firmly holding the knife and dropping the choil on your forefinger, what counts is much more the length/width of the choil, not its depth...
Hi did my best to describe it suggest you put a PM2 in hand or a para 3 and close it one handed allowing the choil to stop at the index finger then remove said finger and close the blade. You must depress and keep the back lock open to do this.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:54 am
Pancake wrote:
Where? Link please.
Found it
Generally speaking: Just in my opinion that´s not entirely true (but of course there is no "wrong" or "right", it depends on personal preference and what one is used to!)

A very deep choil may feel "better" and secure when just holding the knife.
In real use, especially when you really work harder with the knife, for me a choil that is a bit shallower is actually more secure in making the knife more controllable. Why?: A very deep choil places the index finger TOO much "recessed" or "deep in the blade" compared to the other fingers, that causes a bit less control and leverage, and makes the knife a bit less stable in hand.
A shallower choil on the other hand enhances controll, cause more "pressure" is on the frontmost finger (index finger in the choil)

Just my 2c of course!! (But also my honest experience in years of using folders)
That’s nice opinion noted.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:03 am
Pancake wrote:
Where? Link please.

Added to my previous post: I borrowed the pic from Paul / the Deacon (posted in the Straight Spine Stretch thread, Paul, I hope that´s ok!)
You can see: The blade part of the choil is even slightly LONGER on the Stretch than on the PM2 (and the handle part of the choils about the same length), so it is LESS likely you hit your finger with the Stretch when letting the blade drop...

Like I wrote put knife in hand picture does not equate to ergos.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:08 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:47 am
Pancake wrote:

Found it

Hi did my best to describe it suggest you put a PM2 in hand or a para 3 and close it one handed allowing the choil to stop at the index finger then remove said finger and close the blade. You must depress and keep the back lock open to do this.
I tried what you said (Stretch 2 vs PM2) - on both the index finger is safely hit by the choil (and not the edge) when letting the blade drop and holding the knife not deliberately (too) far backwards. Slightly "safer" on the Stretch, since you can have your finger just a tad more backwards (but BOTH perfectly safe).

One handed closing (after dropping the blade on the forefinger): Just for me generally always a bit "safer" with a backlock than a comp. lock anyway (but again: Both safe enough...)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Yep much safer on a back lock.