Delica point styles

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BornIn1500

Re: Delica point styles

Post by BornIn1500 »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:47 am
It might just be me, but those two Delicas don't look that different. If anything the grey Delica kind of looks slightly more pointed than the GITD Delica, but certainly not "much" more pointed. Honestly, I'm really having a hard time seeing the difference
Yea really. I still can't notice a difference.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:54 pm
Generally all Delica and Endura 4 feature that "drop", not only the ffg, but also the sg versions. I like that in the ffg, would not need it in sg.
In German forums this tip-type is well known under the name "Deppenspitze" :D , in my eyes it is to reduce broken tips caused by wrong use and not because it looks better or anything else.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Peter1960 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:58 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:54 pm
Generally all Delica and Endura 4 feature that "drop", not only the ffg, but also the sg versions. I like that in the ffg, would not need it in sg.
In German forums this tip-type is well known under the name "Deppenspitze" :D , in my eyes it is to reduce broken tips caused by wrong use and not because it looks better or anything else.
:D The Spyderco forum is the only one I am acticve on, I don´t even look into others, but sure as a German Native speaker I comprehend what "Deppenspitze"means (something like "tip for clumsy fools".. :D )

And you are certainly right, I even seem to remember that Sal once said something vaguely along the lines, that he changed the tip design on Endura 4 and Delica 4 to make it more "foolproof" (THAT word is NOT what he said ;) ) or more robust and less likely to break especially on this more "mass"models that might get abused a lot by non knife people..

I actually like that "drop" over a very pointy (like on the PM2 for example) tip! Still really acute enough in my use, but I don´t have to worry about the tip in scenarios where I maybe have to work very quickly, could hit metal or the like, and just don´t have the time to be carefull (enough) for a needle tip...

Plus: People who want such a tip more pointy can rather easily mod it that way...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The top is the GITD and the bottom the gray. You can easily see what I’ve been talking about.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050