Which steel has impressed you lately?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Which steel has impressed you lately?

Post by vivi »

For me its VG10, surprisingly.

I've owned VG10 knives since about 2004. It's one of the steels I feel most familiar with.

I've always felt it was a good steel that's well balanced. Good toughness and corrosion resistance, decent edge holding, and quite easy to sharpen.

I hadn't carried it consistently for a few years. I had been carrying CTS204P, K390, S30V and SE H1.

This year I switched to EDCing VG10 Spydercos exclusively (Street Beat and Police 4 Lightweight).

The edge holding on both seems better than I remember. I don't know if they're heat treating it different than they did 15 years ago, or if its because I can sharpen better these days, but I'm impressed with the edge longevity both these knives have shown versus what my expectations were when buying them.

The Police 4 came with a thinner than usual factory edge. Thin enough that I haven't bothered to reprofile it, which is incredibly unusual for me. I've touched it up at about 20dps using a medium Spyderco stone. I've only had to sharpen it about once every 2.5-3 weeks. I expected a bigger edge holding difference compared to the K390 Police.

The Street Beat came with a pretty rough edge that I reground to about 10dps and left with a coarse diamond finish. While it loses hair popping sharpness after a few slices into dirty double wall cardboard, it will keep slicing and slicing for a long time.

It was nice having the steel exceed my expectations. I always liked VG10 but recall having to touch up my Police 3 more frequently than my Police 4 has required.

Which steels have impressed you recently? Why? How have you been sharpening them?
:unicorn
VooDooChild

Re: Which steel has impressed you lately?

Post by VooDooChild »

Just got my police 4 lightweight and street beat in today. Still blaming you for that purchase but I must say that Im impressed. Cant really comment on the vg10 in either of them yet. I will say that I have been using alot of s30v lately and it is great. I really think the only reason people say they dont like it is because it is "common". All around it is good though.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Interesting that you mention VG-10. I've been carrying the PE lil Matriarch every day for over 2 weeks and just touched it up for the first time since the initial sharpening and honestly it didn't need it, it was still probably sharper than what most people carry.

I have also been very impressed with the 4V on the little native. It takes and holds a very nice edge.

Also really enjoying K390. Spyderco nailed the heat treat on it the burr is so easy to pop off its a pleasure to sharpen.

Regarding sharpening...
The lil Matriarch is done on a Sharpmaker with the CBN rods then stropped with 1 micron CBN spray on basswood for polished toothy edge.

Pretty much everything else is sharpened on Venev diamond stones. I usually start with the 400 stone and then either move to the 800 or 1200 as my finishing stone and taken to fairly high polish.
-Turbo
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Like an idiot, I leant my new K390 Para 3 to a coworker for cutting zip-ties and twine on a rigging job. I noticed later on while opening some boxes that he had managed to damage the edge. Not sure if it was a roll or a small chip, but it was catching on cardboard and paper. When I finally broke out the sharpmaker a few days later, I was thoroughly impressed by how quickly the edge came back; just a few passes per side on the grey and white rods and we were back to a razor sharp edge.*

For a tool steel, K390 seems remarkably easy to sharpen (easier than my old S30V PM2).

*Worth noting, I also cleaned my sharpmaker rods prior to sharpening this time.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
vivi

Post by vivi »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:40 pm
Like an idiot, I leant my new K390 Para 3 to a coworker for cutting zip-ties and twine on a rigging job. I noticed later on while opening some boxes that he had managed to damage the edge. Not sure if it was a roll or a small chip, but it was catching on cardboard and paper. When I finally broke out the sharpmaker a few days later, I was thoroughly impressed by how quickly the edge came back; just a few passes per side on the grey and white rods and we were back to a razor sharp edge.*

For a tool steel, K390 seems remarkably easy to sharpen (easier than my old S30V PM2).

I feel the same way about Spydercos K390. For how hard it is and how long it holds an edge, its surprisingly easy to sharpen.
:unicorn
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

kennethsime wrote: Like an idiot, I leant my new K390 Para 3 to a coworker for cutting zip-ties and twine on a rigging job. I noticed later on while opening some boxes that he had managed to damage the edge. Not sure if it was a roll or a small chip, but it was catching on cardboard and paper. When I finally broke out the sharpmaker a few days later, I was thoroughly impressed by how quickly the edge came back; just a few passes per side on the grey and white rods and we were back to a razor sharp edge.*

I have gotten to the point where I have a cheap (non spydie) knife either on me or in my bag that I can loan out. Worst case scenario it disappears, best case the edge is ruined.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:47 pm
I feel the same way about Spydercos K390. For how hard it is and how long it holds an edge, its surprisingly easy to sharpen.
I was chatting with Roman at Kase' Knives about how easy it is to sharpen Spyderco K390 earlier this week and that it had a similar feel and "bright clear" sound to the custom Nitrobe77 knife I have from him. He said that's the sign of a good heat treat and likely contains very little retained austenite.
-Turbo
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Buck's 440C with their BOS heat treatment. It reminds me of Cruwear only more stainless.

After that the new Straight Spine Stretch. Not sure what has been done but the VG-10 in that knife is superb much better than my older Stretches. Seems harder and holds an edge better and longer.

S30V After many shared Videos by Vivi and other members sharpening discussion and getting off of fixed angle sharpening gadgets I am now getting the promise out ov S30V I never could before by free hand sharpening.
anycal

Post by anycal »

K390 here as well. I learned to appreciate it on the Police, but I didn't get to use as much. Now that I have it on a PM2, I can't get it out of my pocket.

Bring on the Shaman in K390! With green micarta!!!
Peter
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

lc200n is pretty close to being the only steel i care about anymore. it’s a great all-around corrosion-resistant steel and the native is proving to be a great all-around platform. still, i hope to see lc200n versions of other golden models, preferably in non-lw formats.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
hovan2yourknives

Post by hovan2yourknives »

The BD1N in my Para 3 LW is an outstanding performer. I recently built a huge 12’ X 12’ counter, out of poplar, maple and some walnut, for a retail flooring store. I used that knife everyday I worked on the counter over several weeks, doing everything from scoring boards to cleaning up joinery. All I did for edge maintenance was pass it on the 8x3 UF stone really lightly a few times once and stropped it after every day of work. Stayed shaving sharp the entire project.

When I first got the knife I reprofiled it before any use. It was so easy to sharped that I didn’t give it much of a chance that it’d hold an edge. Man was I wrong! Great budget steel!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

VooDooChild wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:54 pm
I have gotten to the point where I have a cheap (non spydie) knife either on me or in my bag that I can loan out. Worst case scenario it disappears, best case the edge is ruined.
Usually this is my Swiss Army Knife, but I think I had already leant that out to someone else. :p
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
cistercian

Post by cistercian »

I EDC a Lil Native with the comp lock. The S30V on the blade combined with a
great factory grind has made for a fantastic EDC knife. I use it all the time at work and
every 2 to 4 weeks it easily comes up on the sharpmaker to a hair popping edge.
Really sweet.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

K390.
It has better edge stability than I expected for a steel of its type. So far so good scraping abrasive material and banging the edge against other metals.
Haven’t tested its shock resistance yet by hammering the spine, but that time will come.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I’m liking Cruwear lately, and before that K390, and before that...but with no new one overthrowing an earlier one. My affection is cumulative.

Today, my 52100 PM2 is re-impressing me. It features everything I like about O1, 1095, and A2—toughness and sharpening response not least—but with better edge-holding.

I’d buy a Shaman or Native Chief in 52100 as a second blade just to confirm that I’m locked in on this steel.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

K390 continues to impress me. My P4 arrived uncommonly dull, and a 15dps reprofile went surprisingly easy, and such a keen edge! I have not used a steel that holds such a fine edge for so long, remaining shaving sharp noticeably longer than M4 in my experience.

I've spent the most time with the Police4, but the new PM2 has not disappointed. Sometimes I wish it had a thinner blade like the P4, but the PM2 is a better size for me most days.

I've been spending a lot of time with 20CV lately and I still haven't come to love it. Maybe the hype turned me off, but I never felt the seemly universal love for M390 either. I think I'm just spoiled by K390, M4, REX45...

VG10 is a great all arounder, and every time I use it for an extended period and really appreciate how it cuts and how easy it is to keep sharp. It's perfect for the Seki base models, but I can't wait for the K390 run :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've always liked VG10. I know that on paper S30V is better but in most cases I'd rather have VG10.

I really haven't used any new steels lately besides LC which continues to impress me especially when sharpening. I think I'd be just fine with LC200N as the standard production steel choice.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dan31

Post by dan31 »

I second the VG-10. It is a great steel. It’s probably ideal for me. SE Endela in VG-10 has been living in my pocket since it arrived.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I've found 4V on my Shaman to be pretty impressive. Using it at work on thick, double walled cardboard, plastic strapping, rope...they don't stand a chance. I've cut through thick, rubber hydraulic hoses like butter. Just last night I actually used it to make kindling wood for our fireplace. I use pallets and would tap on the edge of the wood until the edge bit, then just use my weight on the blade to push through for the finer pieces. I typically use a machete for this, but wanted to give the Shaman a shot at it. It performed better than I expected. No rolling or chipping. I did 5 passes on the browns afterwards and it's back to popping hairs. This knife and steel have really opened my eyes, this combo is on a different planet than a lot of my other models.

Resized_20191010_143941.jpeg
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
geronm042

Post by geronm042 »

Just got my first hap40 (endura)... and that thing bites like bit other !!!