Which steel has impressed you lately?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sumdumguy

Re: Which steel has impressed you lately?

Post by Sumdumguy »

Have I ever mentioned how awesome LC200N is?

:cool:
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Maxamet. I hadn't used my Maxamet Native 5 for a while. I was forced to cut some tape with it, and it was covered in tape residue, so I set it aside until I felt like cleaning it. I finally got around to cleaning it up, I felt the edge with the pad of my thumb, and I was amazed how sharp and aggressive the edge still was. With the high carbide volume, and the extremely hard matrix holding onto those carbides, Maxamet holds onto a sticky sharp edge longer than any other steel I've tried. It also has to do with the way the edge breaks down from use, but either way, Maxamet continues to impress.
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Took 2 knives out with me to snowplowing and lay salt for 16 hrs...wet conditions and knives covered in salt residue from opening bags. When I got home and inspected both knives, the Byrd hawkbill 8cr 13mov was completely covered in surface rust. The other, native lc200n looked brand new!! Amazing corrosion resistance!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Vivi I find it most interesting that you mention VG-10 right out of the gate. Because I've kept most of my Spyderco VG-10 models I've gathered over the years. And the TEMPERANCE 1 model is still one of my very favorite fixed blades of all time and yes it has a VG-10 blade.

Also over the years I've found that very few of these blade steels really excel in both edge types ( PE & SE). But VG-10 really does well with both edge types and is just a really dependable blade steel from several aspects.

Even though I've lately petitioned Spyderco to try out another blade steel for their Japan made models I won't be disappointed if they stay with VG-10.

There is probably a big underlying reason that they stay with VG-10
Donut

Post by Donut »

8Cr13MoV. I got a few cheaper knives and the one with 8Cr13MoV has "better than I thought" edge retention.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
vivi

Post by vivi »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:16 am
Vivi I find it most interesting that you mention VG-10 right out of the gate. Because I've kept most of my Spyderco VG-10 models I've gathered over the years. And the TEMPERANCE 1 model is still one of my very favorite fixed blades of all time and yes it has a VG-10 blade.

Also over the years I've found that very few of these blade steels really excel in both edge types ( PE & SE). But VG-10 really does well with both edge types and is just a really dependable blade steel from several aspects.

Even though I've lately petitioned Spyderco to try out another blade steel for their Japan made models I won't be disappointed if they stay with VG-10.

In addition to working well with both PE and SE, VG10 is one of the few stainless steels I'll gladly take in a fixed blade. It's a pretty tough steel. Makes sense that it works well for SE.
:unicorn
Ruudr

Post by Ruudr »

K390 really impressed me. After 2 weeks of continuously using it on my job (cutting cardboard) and using for home chores it is still slicing paper with ease. It takes a aggressive edge. Much more than M4 and is just as easy to touch up. I have no problems with rust or patina. I put some Ballistol oil on the blade twice a week. Love it!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:41 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:16 am

In addition to working well with both PE and SE, VG10 is one of the few stainless steels I'll gladly take in a fixed blade. It's a pretty tough steel. Makes sense that it works well for SE.
That's a great point VIVI because take the TEMPERANCE 2 model for instance which has VG-10. That knife has still sold well in their fixed blade line up in spite of the fact that Spyderco has several other fixed blades with newer/better blade steels. But sometimes the design itself and the overall ergonomics will make a knife great. I've had a couple of guys kind of make fun of me for sticking with my 2004 era TEMPERANCE 1 model ( with VG-10) when there are all these new Spyderco fixed blades with what many consider superior steels.
But I've had such great results using my two TEMP 1 models ( SE & PE) for the past 15 years. It just goes with the one old cliche I've used many times>> "If It Ain't Broke Then Don't Try To Fix It">> And right now that's just the way I feel about my TEMP 1 models (PE & SE)

Not to mention my C-60 Ayoob models which all have VG-10 as well.
nativeleek

Post by nativeleek »

CTS-XHP.

I've had knives with CTS-XHP for a very long time, but I've never put any extensive use on them. During the past few months, what I carried and used the most was Spyderco Chaparral LW with CTS-XHP, which really impressed me a lot. It has already become one of my all-time favorites.
Delica 4, Dragonfly 2, Native 5, Sage 5, Chaparral, Techno 2, Positron, SpydieChef, Para 3, Lil' Native lockback