Gentleman EDC / Groomsman Gift

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
prndltech

Re: Gentleman EDC / Groomsman Gift

Post by prndltech »

On second thought... just get em all resilience’s
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

I will also say chaparral as a great choice. Another option, more personalized, would be stainless engraved delica or dragonfly.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi LucaBrasi,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

I gifted my groomsmen with a UK penknife.
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

If I were going with a Spyderco my first choice would be the Chapparal like so many others have suggested. But the OP did not specify a manufacturer. So I am also throwing out there the Boker Mini Kwaiken. I have one and it is an elegant gentleman's carry when I am in a suit.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Boker-Plu ... per--98588
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:56 pm
Hi LucaBrasi,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
I hope he’s not sleeping with the fishes! :eek: :D :D :D
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I’m going to say the Kapara! With the wire clip and smooth carbon fiber scales it makes it a dream to wear with dress pants. Also, it’s just an incredible knife with superb ergos, action and comp lock!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Enigma wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:23 am
I gifted my groomsmen with a UK penknife.
Either this or an urban would also be cool incase some of them travel to different localities
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

Jasmar0331 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:29 am
Hi everyone...This is my first post here but I’ve been lurking for a while and couldn’t think of a better place to ask this question. So my best friend is getting married and he wants to get the groomsmen a nice knife as a gift. He’s looking for something all around including dressing it up. I recommended the SpydieChef. I think it fits that bill pretty decent but wanted you guys’ input. Let me know what you think about my choice or if you have a better idea. Thanks and happy to be here!

Semper Fidelis!
Might be poor form to mention another knife company here, and Spyderco is my all-around favorite, but for this very specific situation it’s worth noting the Benchmade’s online custom shop tool will allow you to get something engraved on every knife blade. For instance the couple’s names and the date of the wedding. That’s the first thing that came to my mind when I read the OP.

Maybe there are websites that would do aftermarket engraving on a Spyderco for a reasonable price, I’m not positive. And to be fair the Benchmade custom shop can get real expensive real quick.

For gent-carry spydercos, the Mantra 2 and the Kapara both come to mind. The Kapara might make a better gift for someone who isn’t a knife nerd, as the M4 on the Mantra 2 isn’t stainless.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Get the groom a lil' sub hilt.

JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:06 am
For a small gents knife, I can think of nothing better than the Baby Horn.

It's my favorite in that category. If not that, the Mantra 2 is nice and on sale. It might take more blade care than a non-knife person would want to deal with.

I would go Baby Horn.
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

JohnAPA wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:

It's my favorite in that category. If not that, the Mantra 2 is nice and on sale. It might take more blade care than a non-knife person would want to deal with.

I would go Baby Horn.
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This guy knows what's up.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Lil native ...mix it up...some with comp lock and some with back lock some p.e. some s.e.
Another cool idea would be all different models and let em all swap after if they want....PM2, para3, native, delica, etc.,etc.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Lot of great suggestions here, guess I'd go with the CF Chaparral. Classy gentlemen's knife, carries well, great steel, and wire clip. Lightweight and a lot of cutting power. Maybe engrave their names or date as an added touch. A gift and event they will always remember.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Those two older Spyderco models that my pal "The Deacon" used to like would be excellent Gentlemen's Knives. I'm speaking of the "KOPA" and "KIWI" models. I just don't think you could go wrong with either one of those for that type of occasion.

Also any of Spyderco's great fixed blades would make a really cool gift for that type of occasion.
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:18 am
JohnAPA wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:

I would go Baby Horn.
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This guy knows what's up.
**** that's a cool little knife.
Jasmar0331

Post by Jasmar0331 »

Wonderful ideas guys. Thank you all so much for the input! I went with the chap. Seemed like the winner and he’s thrilled about getting them
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

Great choice!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Jasmar0331 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:53 am
Wonderful ideas guys. Thank you all so much for the input! I went with the chap. Seemed like the winner and he’s thrilled about getting them
Perfect choice! :) Happened to carry my Chap FRN on a trailrun just a few hours ago (pic).

This little guy is amazing! Disappears in the pocket, but feels very solid and substantial in hand (and actually gives you the same amount of edge as a Native 5).

Tell the guys, it is not only a "gents knife", but capable of much more. I really like to use it for smaller wood- and bushcrafttasks, it works and holds up great, even the tip, though thin, is rather "stout" for that due to the leaf shaped blade

Last edited by Wartstein on Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Good solid choice.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050