H-1 is subpar???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: H-1 is subpar???

Postby JD Spydo » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:01 pm

I've been told by two trusted friends of mine that the Boye Dendritic Cobalt knife blade is not even as good as H-1 as far as edge holding is concerned.

It's been a long time ago going back to about 2001-2002. Benchmade was actually the first commercial knife company I know of that made a knife with H-1. It was a dive knife that they had for some time. It was the model "100SH20". The first year it was manufactured they used H-1>> it wasn't long until they changed the blade steel in that model to X-15 TN stainless. I don't think it took them very long to see the weakness aspects of H-1 for plain edged uses.

Spyderco on the other hand implemented it in many of their serrated/Spyderedged units. Oddly enough they discovered that in spite of the fact that H-1 in PE wasn't that great but that H-1 in a serrated edge was great for some strange reason.>> the rest is history as they say.

VooDooChild

Postby VooDooChild » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:45 pm

Yeah... H1 was introduced to the market by bechmade. I also have a bit of a conspiracy theory about that. Benchmade, which was the first company to introduce h1, suddenly stopped when spyderco decided they wanted it, and right around the same time, benchmade offered the griptilian with a spyderco round hole. No clue but if I had to guess a gentlemans agreement was met.

It doesnt really matter. The whole thing with dendritic cobalt is that it doesnt have the strength of steel. You probably shouldnt pry with it.

standy99

Postby standy99 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:49 pm

VooDooChild wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:57 am

Where you fishing at?
:D
Northern Territory, Australia
Crocodile central to most in Aus ;)
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.

spoonrobot

Postby spoonrobot » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:20 pm

I've found H1 to work pretty well. I'm not a fisherman but I have occasion to cut a lot of cardboard, this was ~200 feet of cutting. Took about 30 minutes and the knife would still barely shave with moderate pressure. I like H1, I think it performs well in the EDC role. It holds it's edge for a surprisingly long time based on how fast and easy it is to restore.

That said, I've had occasion to cut used rope and other outdoor material and I've yet to find a blade that holds it's edge well cutting silica impregnated material.

The Meat man

Postby The Meat man » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:36 pm

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:01 pm
I've been told by two trusted friends of mine that the Boye Dendritic Cobalt knife blade is not even as good as H-1 as far as edge holding is concerned...

Do you mean PE H-1 or Serrated H-1? If the former I'd be inclined to disagree. I owned a Boye Cobalt Folder for awhile and did a lot of testing with it. It's definitely strange stuff, quite different from steel and a bit difficult to directly compare to steel.
I tested it once cutting thick polypropylene rope, against VG-10 and CPM M4. It blew the VG-10 out of the water, and followed close behind the CPM M4. (With the same edge geometry and level of sharpness.)

Now the BDC didn't feel as sharp as the CPM M4 and might not have been as sharp slicing paper, but it just kept cutting on the rope. The hype, to some extent, is true.

Oh and I also did a lot of hardwood carving and whittling and it did fine. I used it as I would've any steel knife and never had issues with the edge being brittle.
- Connor

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." (John 14:6)

James Y

Postby James Y » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:59 pm

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:36 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
I've been told by two trusted friends of mine that the Boye Dendritic Cobalt knife blade is not even as good as H-1 as far as edge holding is concerned...

Do you mean PE H-1 or Serrated H-1? If the former I'd be inclined to disagree. I owned a Boye Cobalt Folder for awhile and did a lot of testing with it. It's definitely strange stuff, quite different from steel and a bit difficult to directly compare to steel.
I tested it once cutting thick polypropylene rope, against VG-10 and CPM M4. It blew the VG-10 out of the water, and followed close behind the CPM M4. (With the same edge geometry and level of sharpness.)

Now the BDC didn't feel as sharp as the CPM M4 and might not have been as sharp slicing paper, but it just kept cutting on the rope. The hype, to some extent, is true.

Oh and I also did a lot of hardwood carving and whittling and it did fine. I used it as I would've any steel knife and never had issues with the edge being brittle.
I have two Boye folders; one partially-serrated spear point and one serrated sheepsfoot. They are great at cutting rope, and don’t bind due to the shallow, wavy serration pattern. And it’s true that they don’t feel very sharp, but cut rope extremely well.

However, for general utility, I prefer several of the SE Salt models. IMO, for all-around use, they work better for me than the Boye folders. The Salts also have better open/close action, and the back locks feel more solid than on the Boye folders. I do like the marlin spike on the Boye folders a lot. The Boye folders’ blades have a fairly thick flat saber grind, and the edge bevels can come a bit obtuse out of the box. They are also pretty pricey. But I’ve never felt the blades were brittle. Anyway, you wouldn’t want to twist or pry with any blade, whether Boye Dendritic Cobalt, H1, VG-10, LC200N or not.

Jim

The Meat man

Postby The Meat man » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:31 pm

James Y wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:59 pm
The Meat man wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

... The Salts also have better open/close action, and the back locks feel more solid than on the Boye folders. I do like the marlin spike on the Boye folders a lot. The Boye folders’ blades have a fairly thick flat saber grind, and the edge bevels can come a bit obtuse out of the box. They are also pretty pricey. But I’ve never felt the blades were brittle. Anyway, you wouldn’t want to twist or pry with any blade, whether Boye Dendritic Cobalt, H1, VG-10, LC200N or not.

Jim
I agree. On mine the lock spring seemed sluggish and I really wish the blade had a thinner, FFG profile.
If Boye would tweak the design for stronger self-close and snappier lockup, as well as lengthen the blade to 3.5" and FFG, it would be very hard to resist. Especially with that great marlinspike.
- Connor

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." (John 14:6)

James Y

Postby James Y » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:27 pm

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:31 pm
James Y wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:59 pm
The Meat man wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

... The Salts also have better open/close action, and the back locks feel more solid than on the Boye folders. I do like the marlin spike on the Boye folders a lot. The Boye folders’ blades have a fairly thick flat saber grind, and the edge bevels can come a bit obtuse out of the box. They are also pretty pricey. But I’ve never felt the blades were brittle. Anyway, you wouldn’t want to twist or pry with any blade, whether Boye Dendritic Cobalt, H1, VG-10, LC200N or not.

Jim
I agree. On mine the lock spring seemed sluggish and I really wish the blade had a thinner, FFG profile.
If Boye would tweak the design for stronger self-close and snappier lockup, as well as lengthen the blade to 3.5" and FFG, it would be very hard to resist. Especially with that great marlinspike.
Agreed. If Boye did all that with the design it would be better than good; it would be outstanding. And Boyd’s marlin spike feature is a work of genius. I doubt he’ll ever change his design, though, unless it’s of his own choosing.

Jim

Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”