Black S90V Delica with blue liners - KW exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SleeplessInSoCal

Re: Black S90V Delica with blue liners - KW exclusive

Post by SleeplessInSoCal »

JMM wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:26 pm
SleeplessInSoCal wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:39 am
JMM wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:46 am
SleeplessInSoCal wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:28 am

Thanks for the tip!

Does the finish look different (less homogenous) at all after the Flitz treatment? I tried Flitz to remove fingerprints from my Rex 45 PM2, and the finish was noticeably and permanently altered, waaaaaay before the fingerprints started fading. (Fingerprints may not seem like a big deal, but I didn't want to have a clear image of one of my biometric markers to be floating around, from my jeans, to my truck's cupholder.)

My biggest concern is the heat treat being messed up in any way. Secondary concern is the aesthetics.
I don't believe the heat treat was messed up in any way on mine, granted 95% of it was on the tang, but I've used mine quite a bit and it seems completely consistent with what I would expect s90v in that stock/grind to be. The flitz on a damp cloth and about a minute of elbow grease, made it look like new, on the blade itself I would make your rubbing motions in the same direction as the grind, so, up and down, spine to blade, not side-to-side...

I have the Rex45 Para3 and had the PM2 -- and have the TreeRex & Manix2 OTW.... I am super confused about what you are describing regarding fingerprints and Flitz, I've never had an issue like that with old or new Rex45, and I have used my Para3 Rex45 probably more than any knife I own... I have gotten it filthy, and never had anything that dawn dishsoap and warm water didn't take off... what was on your fingers?
I don't remember what exactly was on my fingers, but my wife is a Los Angeles makeup artist who gets sent boxes of high end skincare regularly. So at the time I figured that I must have touched the blade right before bed with some sort of skincare acid on my hands, like glycolic acid. Though I don't remember doing so, and definitely didn't touch the blade with damp hands. It would've been at least half an hour later.

Honestly, it has colored my experience with REX 45 in such a way that I don't care to buy anymore of it. I loved the almost iridescence of the steel when I held it up to the sunlight. I loved the advertised potential.

Now I don't buy anything without at least 7% chromium, like Cru-Wear (which my wife put through the washer and dryer, with no ill effects). I may end up sending the knife to someone to regrind the blade.
I am unaware of anything like this on any other models/runs, but would love to hear otherwise.

I would encourage you to not write off Rex45 in spite of your experience... it is exceptional steel, honestly and truly. It's been my favourite steel since the first Rex45 drop for a reason.... Granted it has shifted to my #2 spot in favor of 4V, but I have more use time and sharpening time with Rex45 than any other steel and I can assure you, it is wonderful, amazing stuff, I intend to buy one of every model of this current sprint, even if I don't care for the model, it's that good. Now if we can only get more 4V coming, I'll be living on TopRamen for the next six months or so.... WoooHoooo! :)
Thanks for the follow up!

I may end up giving it another chance with a regrind on this PM2 if I can find someone to do it, and maybe one of those upcoming Shaman Burnt Orange G10 sprints. I really loved the look of the steel before the fingerprint etching experience.
araneae

Post by araneae »

SleeplessInSoCal wrote:

Honestly, it has colored my experience with REX 45 in such a way that I don't care to buy anymore of it. I loved the almost iridescence of the steel when I held it up to the sunlight. I loved the advertised potential.

Now I don't buy anything without at least 7% chromium, like Cru-Wear (which my wife put through the washer and dryer, with no ill effects). I may end up sending the knife to someone to regrind the blade.
If you are that put off by stains, I'd say stick to stainless steels. Carbon steels are going to stain unless you treat them less like a tool and more like a museum piece.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
JMM

Post by JMM »

araneae wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:10 am
SleeplessInSoCal wrote:

If you are that put off by stains, I'd say stick to stainless steels. Carbon steels are going to stain unless you treat them less like a tool and more like a museum piece.
I've found that my tool steels do fine if I put a little dot of mineral oil on each side of the blade and wipe its just a super thin coat, barely perceivable... I live in the pacific northwest where it's fairly humid and wet most of the year... something I learned from keeping k390 happy, it works great on Rex45, 4v and cruwear too.... just my 2c.